Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Version 1.10.2 not charging/discharging properly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also posted this on Tesla forum with no reply.

Hi all,

My 1x Powerwall was installed 2mo ago and has been online for a few weeks now.

As a new and excited owner, I find myself checking power flow and whatnot on an almost daily basis. My PW is set to Self-powered with a 40% reservation because my panels output capability minus my home energy demand result in capability to charge about 60% of the PW by the time the panels production are eclipsed by demand. We routinely have power outages where we live hence the reservation.

A few days ago, I noticed the PW was not charging/discharging properly. I noticed that at 40% capacity, self-generated power was being sent to the grid. As a troubleshooting measure, I adjusted the PW reservation to a higher arbitrary number (72%) and ran it a day to see what happens. The PW charged as expected, and I then changed the reservation back to 40%. That night, the PW discharged to 72%, and began drawing from grid.

I called Tesla Energy and was informed that the two issues I were reporting were known with my current FW:
1) intermittent charging/discharging behavior accuracy
2) intermittent setting adjustment acceptance patterns (sometimes settings will take, sometimes not, etc)

The person I spoke with mentioned they would be calling a higher-tier of support and would call me back in 1H and did not get back to me. They mentioned communication to PW was not a problem.

I was wondering if anybody else on this FW had any issues. Thanks much.

I'm in the UK and have just experienced similar erratic behaviour of my powerwall. Here in UK we can't set reserve levels but Tesla support did set mine to 5% a few weeks ago as it was having problems waking up each morning when at 0%.

All fine until yesterday when late in the afternoon it got itself stuck in a loop of charging and then discharging between about 7 and 0%.

I tried manually switching the powerwall off and back on again. Also tried the same with the gateway and the problem persisted. Then a couple of hours later it charged back to 5% and went into standby as you'd expect. Currently it looks back to normal again.

I've emailed Tesla support again and await their response.

I also posted this on Tesla forum with no reply.

Hi all,

My 1x Powerwall was installed 2mo ago and has been online for a few weeks now.

As a new and excited owner, I find myself checking power flow and whatnot on an almost daily basis. My PW is set to Self-powered with a 40% reservation because my panels output capability minus my home energy demand result in capability to charge about 60% of the PW by the time the panels production are eclipsed by demand. We routinely have power outages where we live hence the reservation.

A few days ago, I noticed the PW was not charging/discharging properly. I noticed that at 40% capacity, self-generated power was being sent to the grid. As a troubleshooting measure, I adjusted the PW reservation to a higher arbitrary number (72%) and ran it a day to see what happens. The PW charged as expected, and I then changed the reservation back to 40%. That night, the PW discharged to 72%, and began drawing from grid.

I called Tesla Energy and was informed that the two issues I were reporting were known with my current FW:
1) intermittent charging/discharging behavior accuracy
2) intermittent setting adjustment acceptance patterns (sometimes settings will take, sometimes not, etc)

The person I spoke with mentioned they would be calling a higher-tier of support and would call me back in 1H and did not get back to me. They mentioned communication to PW was not a problem.

I was wondering if anybody else on this FW had any issues. Thanks much.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171218-200915.jpg
    Screenshot_20171218-200915.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 106
I should have also said I'm on FW version 1.10.2

I'm in the UK and have just experienced similar erratic behaviour of my powerwall. Here in UK we can't set reserve levels but Tesla support did set mine to 5% a few weeks ago as it was having problems waking up each morning when at 0%.

All fine until yesterday when late in the afternoon it got itself stuck in a loop of charging and then discharging between about 7 and 0%.

I tried manually switching the powerwall off and back on again. Also tried the same with the gateway and the problem persisted. Then a couple of hours later it charged back to 5% and went into standby as you'd expect. Currently it looks back to normal again.

I've emailed Tesla support again and await their response.

I wouldn't say that this is necessarily a problem, but definitely a behavior change. Looks like my charging is hovering around the 2.0 or 2.1 mark and dumping the rest into the grid (minus what the house is using). Before it would dump all the excess into the powerwall up to 5 kW. Maybe because it's colder out it's trying to manage how much power is going back into it?

Screenshot_20171221-092659.png
U82sJY7tmSJLEoj52

My personal feeling is that any charging behavior is fine, if it helps prolong the life of the equipment. I haven't had the chance to observe any different behavior, since one of my inverters has been busted for over a month (Thanks, Tesla!) and it's been cloudy and overcast most days anyway.

1.10.2 here in California central coast area. I noticed the moving reserve value (decreasing over days) as well as unusual display behavior. I haven't confirmed whether the charging and discharge behavior is real or just an artifact of the app display. Now that Christmas is very I'll do some comparison between the app and the UI via the web.