Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall versus Givenergy batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“Why wouldn’t you consider GivEnergy?” I would have a look at them as a company. Many people saying they have issues with supply and finances at the moment. All this while trying to drum up interest in their new battery. Ask around, many suppliers have been waiting for months for supply.

Maybe take a look at the SolarEdge battery…

“Why wouldn’t you consider GivEnergy?” I would have a look at them as a company. Many people saying they have issues with supply and finances at the moment. All this while trying to drum up interest in their new battery. Ask around, many suppliers have been waiting for months for supply.

Maybe take a look at the SolarEdge battery…
Hi, GivEnergy are on our short list and their reviews generally seem to be very favourable. Where have you seen the adverse commentary please as I'd like to evaluate further before making a decision. Cheers

Forgive the newbie question, and sorry if I should start another thread instead of asking here. How worthwhile is a powerwall/battery without solar, i.e I have Go Faster with 4 hour window at cheap rate, it is possible to charge the car and battery at the cheap rate and then use the battery to power the house for the other 20 hours or until its empty? Or would it be too much load to draw at once? We use around 10Kwh at home per day if we do not charge the car. We are way up in North Scotland so I don't know if solar is worthwhile in our case.
Useful vid describing such battery usage:

Guys,

In that EVM video (or the related one on his channel) - he says that the GivEnergy setup can solar divert to HW or his Tesla (might have been future tense - that it soon should be able to).

I went looking around and can’t find any clues as to the mechanism or any marketing literature claiming the ability. I was hoping to find a wiring diagram with such an output or something. May be API integration. Found the site a bit sparse - but haven’t explored the forum in earnest other than a couple of searches for the topic.

Any ideas if the solar divert capability is true?

Seems a nice alternative to weigh against PW2 - even if I guess both are as rare as hens teeth right now (vaguely related: SolarEdge inverters look unavailable until July on that wholesalers site, so I can see component selection needs to be sympathetic to the supply chain stress if you want solar/battery/HP before autumn).

Thanks.

Anyone have any installer recommendations around Surrey?

I think one of the key differentiators between powerwall and other battery systems is that the powerwall is the only system able to properly fail over to run the house on battery only if there is a power cut. Something about being able to fully isolate the house from the grid when it happens so it's safe for the DNO to work on fixing the power cut. PW is also the only system able to use the Tesla power plan, although that does mean if you are on it you are unable to use solar diversion to do other stuff with the excess power produced(E.g hot water and car charging)

I think one of the key differentiators between powerwall and other battery systems is that the powerwall is the only system able to properly fail over to run the house on battery only if there is a power cut. Something about being able to fully isolate the house from the grid when it happens so it's safe for the DNO to work on fixing the power cut. PW is also the only system able to use the Tesla power plan, although that does mean if you are on it you are unable to use solar diversion to do other stuff with the excess power produced(E.g hot water and car charging)
True, but why would you want to be on the Tesla Power Plan if your set-up is planned to use either free solar and the rest at the 5p or now 7.5p lowest GO rate. The Tesla plan seems expensive to me if you are going for batteries.

Reactions: Yachtsman
GivEnergy has the ability to supply emergency power when the mains goes down - needs a dedicated socket wiring-in:

Looks like you can also manually island your house to power it.

Also - in the same area I found reference to a power-diverter add in - in a brochure that’s a bit more technical - to answer my own question above to a certain extent:

I know this is primarily a car forum but there is clearly a wealth of knowledge here on Solar PV and battery storage - so please forgive another post on this.

I've read the comprehensive threads on solar and I'm now trying to decide whether to go Powerwall 2 (can't get the 3) or Givenergy. My strengths aren't in things electrical and I don't want to make a mistake before I take the plunge. I see a few folk have gone the Givenery route.

Powerwall looks good and has good capacity and charge/discharge characteristics but it is expensive and the tech (for version 2) is arguably a bit old now. I can get 2 of the new 9.5kwh Givenergy batteries and 2 inverters (to handle higher discharge) for around 65% of one Powerwall 2. They also come with newer battery tech and 100% discharge capability. Although they are new models, I'm advised that I should be able to get them before a Powerwall 2.

The product page at Givenergy is here:

I like the idea of the full Tesla integration but why wouldn't I go for the Givenergy alternatives with more capacity and arguably newer tech? My lack of experience in this area probably means I'm missing something so I thought I'd seek some more advice before jumping in. I see the electrical contractor who has suggested Givenergy tomorrow so I'd like to have any questions ready. I can afford Powerwall but not entirely convinced (yet) that I need to go that route.

Thanks as always for any pointers.
Hi, didn't see this thread, what you are looking at is pretty much what I've placed an order for - two gen2 inverters and 2 batteries @9.5kW.(7.2kW array)
Deposit paid, and survey complete - just the waiting game now.

Reactions: spon88
Hi, didn't see this thread, what you are looking at is pretty much what I've placed an order for - two gen2 inverters and 2 batteries @9.5kW.(7.2kW array)
Deposit paid, and survey complete - just the waiting game now.

Did you manage to get a price for the 9.5? And why two inverters - just so you can take the most from the pv and also discharge more than 3kw into the house?

Did you manage to get a price for the 9.5? And why two inverters - just so you can take the most from the pv and also discharge more than 3kw into the house?
Yes, but was in the total of £14k for everything including Tigo optimisers for all 18 panels. It was the most competitive price I had, just the waiting game now.
Two inverters, yes to maximise the charge from PV or short window of cheap rates at night and also for the discharge to the house. The new Gen2 inverters ( and 9.5kW batteries) are able to discharge up to 7.2kW in total when needed.
May be overkill to some, but suits my requirements.

Contacted 5 solar installers and only 1 has responded.. which coincidentally happens to be a local one.

I'd rather multiple quotes but I guess they're all so busy they can pick and choose at the moment so getting a quote from someone who might have to travel across the country is going the be hard.