Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall versus Givenergy batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want this the GE system is capable. You'll have to ask your installer to design the circuit though, and would probably involve a secondary CU being fitted. It would certainly increase the overall price.
It's GE I'm going for. Rather than the full auto fail-over it will just be a couple of local double sockets for emergency use, at least to start. Apparently that's quite straightforward to do. Power cuts are very infrequent around here but if things decline (who knows given current events) then we'll look at the bigger failover facility.

It's GE I'm going for. Rather than the full auto fail-over it will just be a couple of local double sockets for emergency use, at least to start. Apparently that's quite straightforward to do. Power cuts are very infrequent around here but if things decline (who knows given current events) then we'll look at the bigger failover facility.

You can upgrade the sockets to a consumer unit, powering a circuit or lights, just keep in mind the 2.5kw limit.

Reactions: spon88
Today I received an update quote for a Givenergy system - I had been waiting on pricing for the 9.5kWh battery.

What started out as a £5000 quote in March for an 3kW AC inverter + 8.2kWh battery system became £6800 for similar 9.5kWh system. And when I asked for an updated quote for the “gen 2” 8.2kWh battery that quote went to £6500.

The explanation for the £1500 price rise in under a month? “Due to a number of factors…”
:mad:

I mean I can see the wholesale prices of these things on various websites, so its clear they just want a bigger margin. But I’m not paying ~£2500 for 0.5-1 day of electrical work and a few DNO forms.

The supply/demand situation is making this too challenging for this consumer. I’m abandoning plans for a battery until it’s all calmed down. I don’t need the hassle. For our usage levels, the benefit just isn’t there.

I might do the same, even if demand stays high and installers use it to scrape more margin, it shoudl calm down or at least normalise. And prices per kwh will go down. I migth start a separate savings pot like I did when saving up for my Tesla deposit but for a battery so we don’t dip into family savings

Keep in mind a few of the wholesale sites don't have giv stock and prices are set from the last time they had stock.

Giv hardware has been hard to get hold of with a lack of deliveries. There are thousands of ships in China and many factors are still shut so supply issues.might bere for some time yet.

Today I received an update quote for a Givenergy system - I had been waiting on pricing for the 9.5kWh battery.

What started out as a £5000 quote in March for an 3kW AC inverter + 8.2kWh battery system became £6800 for similar 9.5kWh system. And when I asked for an updated quote for the “gen 2” 8.2kWh battery that quote went to £6500.

The explanation for the £1500 price rise in under a month? “Due to a number of factors…”
:mad:

I mean I can see the wholesale prices of these things on various websites, so its clear they just want a bigger margin. But I’m not paying ~£2500 for 0.5-1 day of electrical work and a few DNO forms.

The supply/demand situation is making this too challenging for this consumer. I’m abandoning plans for a battery until it’s all calmed down. I don’t need the hassle. For our usage levels, the benefit just isn’t there.
Which installer was it if you don't mind me asking?

Hi Spondon,

Which installer are you going with?

I'm on a fixed rate electricity so no discounts over night so looking at solar panels and batteries and I wonder who you chose for install so i can jump in on the back of your research around the Derby area.

Thanks

Pete C (Chellaston)

Which installer are you going with?

I'm on a fixed rate electricity so no discounts over night so looking at solar panels and batteries and I wonder who you chose for install so i can jump in on the back of your research around the Derby area.

Thanks

Pete C (Chellaston)
Hi Pete,

I'm not actually in Spondon but I can see why you might have thought that given my forum name :) - I'm not far away mind.

To be fair it was a problem getting a local guy, even after two seemingly promising visits where they didn't even bother sending a quotation. I'll send a PM with the guys we've gone with. Should be with you in the next few minutes. Cheers.

There's so much demand right now even if you get a promising phone call you don't get any follow up if someone calls who's a bit more convenient/larger install/whatever.

Except for the one that sent me a full quote for 17 panels and a powerwall without even looking at the house, even on google maps.. (If you try hard you might get 12).

I decided to go down to route of a Powerwall and reserved one with a supplier. Is there a thread for Powerwall owners, I cant seem to find one in the search. I dont want to be clogging this thread with off topic stuff.

Tesla Energy - but that is not UK specific. UK questions do come up there sometimes.

I suggest a question here, with "PowerWall" in the Subject would be fine if you want UK responses.
Thank you for the reply. That is helpful.

I went with a Powerwall just for simplicity with the Tesla App. I dont have solar, I am looking to use the powerwall for strictly off peak electric (May install solar at a later date). I have secured a slot today for one.

I must say, some of the quotes have swung wildly from £10,500 to £15,500 for the same job!?

What is the general supplied and fitted cost for a Powerwall in current times?

Another question for anyone with a PW. How is operation when it comes to automatically charging off peak hours and then going off grid and running on the PW for peak hours? Is it smooth or any glitches?

Last edited:
I went with a Powerwall just for simplicity with the Tesla App. I dont have solar, I am looking to use the powerwall for strictly off peak electric (May install solar at a later date).

Those points definitely work for me too. In Winter Solar PV in the UK is about 90% less than mid-summer, so at that time I'm charging PowerWall overnight on off-peak and discharging during the day. Yesterday, a day with good sun, I charged my PowerWalls and put 150-ish miles in the car :). I find the APP a bit addictive! but it has caused me to question "What the heck is using all that power right now" ... or caused the PowerWall to discharge faster than normal over the source of some hours ... and once the cause has been diagnosed I have adjusted my usage / lifestyle accordingly, which I suppose is also good for the planet. Bit like trying to always use regen rather than friction-brakes

What is the general supplied and fitted cost for a Powerwall in current times?

I'd say nearer the £10K end of your quotes' range. But its a sellers-market at present ...

Those points definitely work for me too. In Winter Solar PV in the UK is about 90% less than mid-summer, so at that time I'm charging PowerWall overnight on off-peak and discharging during the day. Yesterday, a day with good sun, I charged my PowerWalls and put 150-ish miles in the car :). I find the APP a bit addictive! but it has caused me to question "What the heck is using all that power right now" ... or caused the PowerWall to discharge faster than normal over the source of some hours ... and once the cause has been diagnosed I have adjusted my usage / lifestyle accordingly, which I suppose is also good for the planet. Bit like trying to always use regen rather than friction-brakes

I'd say nearer the £10K end of your quotes' range. But its a sellers-market at present ...

Me and the wife both work from home both using electric all day long. On average we use 12kwh a day (excluding cars) so the PW will work out perfect for our usage given its 13.5kwh capacity. I have said yes the a quote for about £10,500 ish.

I will go down to route of solar at some point. I have a Model Y on order and given the saving on Octopus go, it seems like a no brainer to move to a battery storage solution. With electric prices set to increase, ROI on a battery is miles ahead of savings interest rates etc.

Me and the wife both work from home

Me too. Lack of powercuts might be a bonus? (and in my case Accountant allowed a portion of PowerWall install/cost as UPS-backup for the servers I have here)

I will go down to route of solar at some point

Curious why not "now"? Total outlay all-in-one-go would be one good reason !! but maybe there are other factors?

Me too. Lack of powercuts might be a bonus? (and in my case Accountant allowed a portion of PowerWall install/cost as UPS-backup for the servers I have here)

Curious why not "now"? Total outlay all-in-one-go would be one good reason !! but maybe there are other factors?

I was going to speak with my accountant to see if the PW can be used for company purposes given my office is at home.

I am trying to convince the missus to let me get solar which she isn't have it.... yet. She doesnt like the look of them. I am working on it!

She doesnt like the look of them

Ah ...

We have a very shallow sloping roof. You'd need to be in the next county to see what is bolted to it :)

All-black might be better / less intrusive than the ones with a "silver" border around them.

We (as a family) have a more JFDI approach to this sort of thing. The consequences (e.g. for planet) of not doing some of these things are likely to come home to roost in a big way. But that's not for everyone. We love the "Wind Flowers" we see on the countryside when we drive around ... plenty of our friends consider them a blot.

We built an extension and instead of putting slate on it (and then bolt-on-panels) we put wriggly-tin on the roof, and then panels on top. They are flush with the bits of the roof perimeter that the panels don't cover. Lot cheaper than slate that was then covered up!

So ... propose building an extension to your Wife? Nice new, fancy, kitchen with granite work tops ...

... I may be over-thinking it?!