Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall went from being on backup to self powered by itself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There isnt a backup only setting in the version 4 of the app. Its only self powered with a 100% reserve. If you still see backup only, you either have a glitch, or are not using V4 of the app... and I have no idea how V3 will or will not continue to interact with powerwalls since tesla has basically depreciated it when they released V4.

Ok, so my setting keeps going from backup to self powered this shows up on on of my older iPads so I assume that is the older version on the app. If I understand correctly there is no backup on the newer version so selfpowered is used. I want the Powerwalls to be at 100% during this weather in case of an outage. So with that setting I assume I will not use the Powerwalls to power the house is this correct.

Ok, so my setting keeps going from backup to self powered this shows up on on of my older iPads so I assume that is the older version on the app. If I understand correctly there is no backup on the newer version so selfpowered is used. I want the Powerwalls to be at 100% during this weather in case of an outage. So with that setting I assume I will not use the Powerwalls to power the house is this correct.

Correct. I have mine set to 100% reserve and it functions the same as "backup only". It's unfortunate that Tesla simply didn't update the UX to show that sliding to 100% means "backup only"...

Woke up this Afternoon and found Tesla had put out a "Storm Watch" alert. This charged my Powerwalls to 100% from the grid! Check to see if you have Stormwatch enabled in the Settings tab. If so then your Powerwalls will charge to 100% and stay there until Stormwatch is over.

Woke up this Afternoon and found Tesla had put out a "Storm Watch" alert. This charged my Powerwalls to 100% from the grid! Check to see if you have Stormwatch enabled in the Settings tab. If so then your Powerwalls will charge to 100% and stay there until Stormwatch is over.

It's a little bit more complex than that. You have to have the Storm Watch functionality enabled in the app AND a Storm Watch must be initiated from Tesla's end likely using things like NWS alerts. Flipping the Storm Watch switch in the app doesn't automatically start charging you from the grid.

Thats all true, but will not change your mode from backup only (which doesnt exist as a setting any longer in the new app) to self powered. OP confirmed they are accessing the tesla app on an old device, so that is the likely cause: