Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall with existing solar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
Sorry if these are super noob questions - I’ve been doing a lot of reading in this forum but I think I’m still way over my head.

In a nutshell - I live in a wildfire-prone are of California where the local utility has informed customers that they may proactively shut off power during periods of high wildfire danger - potentially for days at a time. So naturally I’m looking at various backup options including Powerwall. My main objective is to allow my existing solar array to continue to function during a grid outage to power critical loads in the house.

I have a 7.5kw solar system with SunPower “AC” (microinverter) panels that feed back to a pair of circuits in my main 200 amp service panel.

The main question I’m looking to have answered is if I can even use a powerwall with this setup? I see Tesla publishes a list of compatible inverters which mine aren’t on - is that a requirement? Is a powerwall a suitable solution for what I’m trying to accomplish?

Thanks all.

Try AES in Chico, CA. They are a Sunpower and Tesla Powerwall installing dealer. I would certainly ask for a name of a client who had your inverter and successfully used the powerwall and its grid disconnect feature.

• Informative
Reactions: ucmndd