Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall with non Tesla solar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BrettS

Mar 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
I’d like to get solar panels and powerwalls for my house. About a year ago I got a number of quotes for solar, including one from Tesla where they came out to my house to do a site survey, and came back with a custom system designed for my house. I really liked the Tesla quote and I was so close to pulling the trigger, but unfortunately some stuff came up unexpectedly at the time and it didn’t happen.

Those issues have been resolved and I’m ready to move forward with solar again. I’ve gotten new quotes on energy sage and from Tesla again, but Tesla has now moved to a cookie cutter one size fits all model and I’m just not getting warm fuzzy feelings from Tesla’s new quote. The system I was quoted last year was about 14kW and at the time, after the site survey, they told me that I couldn’t go any bigger because they couldn’t fit any more panels on my roof without putting panels on the section facing north north east. As I recall that was about 38 or 40 panels total.

But now, without looking at anything more than a google maps image they are telling me that they’ll have no problem putting 48 panels on my roof for a 15.12kW cookie cutter solar install. I asked what happens if they get here and discover that they won’t all fit and I was told “Oh, that’s no problem, if that happens we’ll just put some panels on the north north east side and your production might be a little less than we estimated. But don’t worry, you won’t have to pay any extra”.

Additionally, the quote from last year included power optimizers and the quote from this year does not. I do have a tree that provides some partial shading on my roof during certain times of the day, so I think the power optimizers would be beneficial.

So because of all that I like some of the third party quotes that I’ve gotten a lot better. They all seem to use micro inverters and can customize the system based on the size of my roof, rather than trying to shoehorn in a predetermined number of panels. However, I also really want to add powerwalls to the system and this is where things get complicated.

Some of the third party installers that have given me quotes are authorized to install powerwalls, but they are quoting prices that are much higher than Tesla. Tesla quoted four powerwalls to go with the 15kW solar system. The total installed cost of those four powerwalls was $22,100 before the tax incentives. The third party companies quoted $19,200 to install two powerwalls.

It looks like I do have an option to just get powerwalls from Tesla without the solar install, but that’s a little more expensive. It’s showing a cost of $27,100 for four powerwalls and the supporting hardware and also says that it doesn’t include ‘electrical upgrades’, so potentially the cost could be more in the end. Additionally, it’s my understanding that the powerwalls will only qualify for the federal tax incentive if they are installed with solar panels.

So after all that, I guess here are my questions...

-If I do go with non Tesla solar panels will they still integrate well with the powerwalls? Will I be missing any features?

-Is it worth going with the Tesla solar quote, even though it doesn’t seem like the best solar option, just to save a considerable amount of money on the powerwalls? $22,100 before tax incentives or $16,354 after the tax incentives seems like a great price for four powerwalls.

-Any other things that I should be thinking about here? I feel like I’m pretty well over my head with all of this.

Oh, and a couple of final notes, even the 15.12kW system will not meet 100% of my power demand. Among my air conditioner here in Florida, my Model S, a large fish tank, and a pool I average about 70kW a day in the winter and can go over 100kW a day in the summer. I actually went through and added up my power bills and I used a grand total of 33389kWh over all of 2019. Tesla is estimating an annual production of about 19368kWh.

Additionally, there is no time of use billing here, so the goal of the powerwalls would be simply for whole house backup in the event of a power outage. Ideally I would like to continue operating the house indefinitely in the event of an extended power failure - I lost power for more than 3 days after hurricane matthew. I realize that I’ll need to cut back my power consumption for that to happen, but I’d still like to be able to run my air conditioner and make sure the fish tank and fridge and other critical things have power.

Thanks for all of your thoughts:)

If you have the money, I'd just go with a high quality local installer who also does Powerwalls. Though I bet the Tesla option could be "customized" later in the sales process. Not sure what standard panel options they're offering these days either, now that Panasonic panels from Buffalo are out.

These are the panels they quoted...

E8F6493F-DA86-4C6D-A5D4-96FA68FEBA9E.jpeg

CFD08BA1-5CE6-4D1F-8DC6-6E075BC2E1F5.jpeg

If you have the money,

Yeah, I guess to some extent it comes down to money in the end. I’m not necessarily looking for the cheapest possible option - I realize that you get what you pay for. But at the same time I don’t want to pay more than I have to either.

The solar only portion of Tesla’s quote is one of the cheaper ones to start with. They are at about $2.28/watt with the others ranging from $2.40-$2.86/watt. And like I said above, if I get the powerwalls with the solar install Tesla is $4000 less per powerwall. With four powerwalls and the savings on solar Tesla is coming in nearly $18,000 less than the closest competitor.

$18,000 is enough that it makes me willing to start considering some compromises.

wow, this is a lot of power.
My personal thinking is - Don't put a system that doesn't fit your size, wait until you can.

I would wait with Solar in your case, technology changes so fast and costs are coming down that 5 years from now you will be able to get twice the power for the same price and maybe it will take the less real-estate on your roof.

Solar is a (BIG) long term investment no point of adding the wrong size for your use case.

wow, this is a lot of power.
My personal thinking is - Don't put a system that doesn't fit your size, wait until you can.

I’m actually thinking that 15kW is really a pretty good size for me. I know it won’t meet my power demand, but I use a *lot* of power. And while I don’t have any intentions of moving any time soon I don’t know that I will be in this house forever. I suspect that if I do wind up selling this house that having solar and powerwalls will be beneficial (especially here in Florida) and I hope that I’ll get a large portion of my investment back. But I feel like if I have a system that will produce two times as much power as a ‘normal’ family needs then it might be more of a liability, or at the very least I’ll be less likely to get back as much of my investment.

Additionally, while I don’t get billed for TOU I do get billed at one rate for the first 1000kWh I use per month and a higher rate for the rest of the power I use. So even though this won’t totally eliminate my power bill it should keep me down under 1000kWh per month so I will stay at the lower rate.

I feel like a 15kW system on this house will likely be able to meet 100% of the demand for most people, so it will be a good size when and if I sell the house, while still meeting a significant portion of my power demand and helping to keep me under the 1000kWh limit per month to keep the power bill that I am paying as low as possible.

I’m actually thinking that 15kW is really a pretty good size for me. I know it won’t meet my power demand, but I use a *lot* of power. And while I don’t have any intentions of moving any time soon I don’t know that I will be in this house forever. I suspect that if I do wind up selling this house that having solar and powerwalls will be beneficial (especially here in Florida) and I hope that I’ll get a large portion of my investment back. But I feel like if I have a system that will produce two times as much power as a ‘normal’ family needs then it might be more of a liability, or at the very least I’ll be less likely to get back as much of my investment.

Additionally, while I don’t get billed for TOU I do get billed at one rate for the first 1000kWh I use per month and a higher rate for the rest of the power I use. So even though this won’t totally eliminate my power bill it should keep me down under 1000kWh per month so I will stay at the lower rate.

I feel like a 15kW system on this house will likely be able to meet 100% of the demand for most people, so it will be a good size when and if I sell the house, while still meeting a significant portion of my power demand and helping to keep me under the 1000kWh limit per month to keep the power bill that I am paying as low as possible.

You make a good point, personally I wouldn't worry about other people, build the system that works for you and, in my opinion, it should cover your own usage and more.

I wanted to put solar 5 years ago, I got the numbers and it didn't fit my bill, I put solar back in Feb, the same price as 5 years ago and twice the power. I am sure if I would have waited 5 more years I could have gotten even more for less but the system I got now covers me 140% which means it is bulletproof for a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Msjulie
Tesla has indeed gone a more standardized route. Good standard prices, but at set intervals, set equipment, with the hit-or-miss customer service. Even with north facing solar panels, the slightly bigger 15.1 kW system may be a better price and better overall output than a smaller 14 kW system with micro-inverters/optimizer.

If you prefer the customization of a non-Tesla solar install. Go for it.

A balanced approach is to have solar installed first. Then have Tesla come in and install powerwalls. Although you may lose out on the Tesla bundled price, you'll get the solar panels with micro-inverters/optimizer you want and Powerwalls at a reasonable price.

I had to go this route. A 3rd party company installed 5.7 kW solar ($3.67/kW) and re-roofed my home in 2016. Later on in 2017, 2X Powerwalls ($13,774 before tax credit) were installed by Tesla. In 2019 before the end of the 30% federal tax credit (and due to increased usage), I added a small 3.8 kW Tesla solar array ($2.85/kW).

Now I’m wondering if the Tesla system does include power optimizers. They quoted the SolarEdge inverter with HD Wave technology and all the marketing material I can find for that inverter talks about it being used with SolarEdge power optimizers. I didn’t see a spec sheet for power optimizers on the Tesla quote, so I called and asked about it and the person I talked to said no power optimizers, but I’m wondering if he just didn’t know what he was talking about. It seems odd to me that they would build a system without them. I’ll call back tomorrow and try to get more details.

If it does actually include power optimizers that would definitely make me feel better about going with Tesla.

I believe they come with the optimizer because there is no way mine would make power after 1PM without them. They had hooked up something behind the solar panel when they installed mine.

Just as a FYI, adding batteries on existing solar will make you eligible for the tax credit as long as the solar feeds the battery and not the grid.

Now I’m wondering if the Tesla system does include power optimizers. They quoted the SolarEdge inverter with HD Wave technology and all the marketing material I can find for that inverter talks about it being used with SolarEdge power optimizers. I didn’t see a spec sheet for power optimizers on the Tesla quote, so I called and asked about it and the person I talked to said no power optimizers, but I’m wondering if he just didn’t know what he was talking about. It seems odd to me that they would build a system without them. I’ll call back tomorrow and try to get more details.

If it does actually include power optimizers that would definitely make me feel better about going with Tesla.

My quote didn't have optimizers listed, to be honest I had no idea what optimizers were since Tesla's proposal only listed what kind of inverter, panels and gateway they will use. Optimizers however WERE included.

Telsa also initially quote q.cell panels, but I asked to be switched to Panasonic, which was done at no additional cost.

Tesla's bundled price for solar + PW is just too good to ignore. Customer service is OK and the install crew was top notch!

I'm just north of Seattle, and went with a local installer: LG panels, Enphase microinverters, and 2 Powerwalls. yes, the cost was higher for the Powerwalls, likely because the installer takes a margin on them. OTOH, I got a very customized system for my needs, a new main panel, and a new 240V line to my garage for the car charger. I'm very happy with it.

The Enphase microinverters come with their own monitoring software that gives plenty of information. Also, do some research on inverter vs inverter + optimizers vs microinverters. The microinverter setup ensures max production on each panel, instead of having to work with the weakest link in each bank (optimizers) or in the system (bare inverter).

Early last year, we had Tesla come out to make a proposal (before Tesla went to the cookie cutter strategy). Unfortunately, it was raining so they weren't able to climb up on the roof to do a roof assessment and complete a proposal. Since they wanted to pull some of our roof tiles during the assessment, we decided to defer pursuing solar.

In the early fall, we decided to go solar by year end and get the 30% credit. At that time, Tesla was already in "cookie cutter" mode, and the website didn't (at that time) support a configuration large enough for our house.

We had been contacted by a 3rd party Tesla-approved installer - and we had them develop a proposal. Rather than climbing on the roof for the assessment, they reviewed the underside of the roof from the attic and used a drone flyover to do the roof assessment. They also sent out an electrician to review our current wiring (we have three 150A house breaker panels - two for house circuits and one for EV charging).

They proposed a 14.5 KW system with 44 LG 330 solar panels and 22 Chilicon Power microinverters (which connect to 2 solar panels), with 4 PowerWalls. Like the Enphase system, Chilicon has their own monitoring display and software, providing more detailed information than the Tesla Gateway.

During the design phase, we worked with the installer's electricians to determine the best wiring strategy. Initially they were concerned our two house panels would be too much for a single Tesla Gateway - and proposed a split system with half of the panels/PowerWalls going to each of the two house breaker panels, OR we could power only one of the house breaker panels and swap circuits to put the more essential circuits on the panel connected to the Gateway and the other house panel connected to the grid.

We then reviewed the 2 year smart meter data and the actual circuit loads on the panels and determined our peak house usage was below 200A, so we could power both house breaker panels off the Gateway (which is limited to 200A).

When planning our system, we wanted a system that would provide about 1/2 of our total electric usage (including EV charging). And after 3 months, we may be exceeding expectations - lowering our electric usage (including EV charging) by around 60%.

When we have full sun days - we'll have a little bit of electricity excess that is sent back to the grid when the PowerWalls reach 100%. But when we have cloud cover, we'll still pull power from the grid to make up for the less sunshine.

While I understand Tesla's decision to go to a "cookie cutter" strategy and try to streamline operations - many homes have a variety of challenges for locating panels and wiring the system - and we wanted a complete design before we committed to the installation, something that doesn't appear to be possible under Tesla's current solar strategy.

As a long time Tesla customer - I hope they continue to evolve their solar strategy - so they have a streamlined operation without sacrificing quality of service.

OP, I am not sure if anyone said this already, but you dont lose any features on the powerwalls if installed by someone other than tesla. You will want to make sure whoever installs the powerwalls is a tesla authorized installer for warranty purposes, but other than that, it wont be any different.

The reason the tesla quote is lower including the powerwalls (my opinion) is because they are bundling the price of the labor... one of those " since we are there anyway doing solar" things.

Third parties pay the exact same for the powerwall that we do, they dont get a discount on it. So the powerwalls cost THEM 6500 each, just like they cost us, and the gateway costs them 1100 just like it cost us. The only difference is what the labor charges and permitting charges are.

So I called Tesla back and I am definitely not impressed with their customer service. The person I was speaking to was very difficult to understand and slurring their words. He also had a hard time following what I was saying. If I didn’t know better I would have thought he was drunk.

But after quite a bit of back and forth I’m reasonably confident that my quote does include power optimizers. He said that he saw a quantity of 48 of some solar edge product in the materials used list. Given that they quoted 48 panels and given that I have no idea what else there would be 48 of I think it’s petty safe to say that they do plan to install the power optimizers.

On a side note, I think I may step down to 3 power walls and I’m wondering if I might even be able to get away with 2 powerwalls. Is there a good way to determine how many powerwalls I would need, again given the goal that I would like to be able to rely on the powerwalls to operate the house overnight in the event of an extended power outage.

On a side note, I think I may step down to 3 power walls and I’m wondering if I might even be able to get away with 2 powerwalls. Is there a good way to determine how many powerwalls I would need, again given the goal that I would like to be able to rely on the powerwalls to operate the house overnight in the event of an extended power outage.

what's your daily consumption w/o car charging? would you be able to scale down AC usage during an extended outage and mostly cloudy skies?
I treated my PWs as backup power and with 3 PWs (40kWh)should be able to last about 2.5/3 days with mostly cloudy skies. But if you assume it would be somewhat sunny after the storm then all you need to account for is the overnight consumption and base the number of PWs on that figure.

So I called Tesla back and I am definitely not impressed with their customer service. The person I was speaking to was very difficult to understand and slurring their words. He also had a hard time following what I was saying. If I didn’t know better I would have thought he was drunk.

But after quite a bit of back and forth I’m reasonably confident that my quote does include power optimizers. He said that he saw a quantity of 48 of some solar edge product in the materials used list. Given that they quoted 48 panels and given that I have no idea what else there would be 48 of I think it’s petty safe to say that they do plan to install the power optimizers.

I found some old pictures, they were definitely optimizer behind each panel (hanwah or something, basically Qcell, made in Korea). It doesn't use micro inverter because we got that giant solar edge hunker down the garage. In some ways, they were actually really simple.

what's your daily consumption w/o car charging? would you be able to scale down AC usage during an extended outage and mostly cloudy skies?
I treated my PWs as backup power and with 3 PWs (40kWh)should be able to last about 2.5/3 days with mostly cloudy skies. But if you assume it would be somewhat sunny after the storm then all you need to account for is the overnight consumption and base the number of PWs on that figure.

That’s a good question and I’m not actually sure. According to my power bill my average daily consumption ranges from about 70kWh per day in the winter to 110kWh in the peak of summer, but those numbers include a decent amount of car charging. Without car charging and with an effort to trying to conserve power I think it could get down to as low as 30-40kWh in the winter and 70-80kWh in the summer.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ampster
Without car charging and with an effort to trying to conserve power I think it could get down to as low as 30-40kWh in the winter and 70-80kWh in the summer
In order to answer your question about how many PowerWalls you need, you probably need to look at daytime consumption versus nighttime. In addition you need to see how much of your daytime production would be split between daytime consumption and charging your Powerwalls to replace the amount of energy used to get through the night.

In order to answer your question about how many PowerWalls you need, you probably need to look at daytime consumption versus nighttime. In addition you need to see how much of your daytime production would be split between daytime consumption and charging your Powerwalls to replace the amount of energy used to get through the night.

That’s true, the more data I can get the better. I’m going to spend the next few days recording my power consumption. I’ll start by reading my power meter this evening, then I’ll read it again in the morning and the evening every day for the next few days. I’ll avoid charging the car during this time, but otherwise I’ll try to keep things operating normally in the house. That way I can get ballpark figures for daily consumption, nighttime consumption, and daytime consumption.

What time should I read the meter in the morning and evening? What time in the evening would the solar system stop generating power and I would need to start using the powerwalls and what time in the morning would I switch off of the powerwalls and back onto solar?