TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Powerwall Woes

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by cr0ntab, May 18, 2018.

1. cr0ntab

cr0ntab Member

Hey All,

So when I first got into contract with my installer they had told me that there were Powerwalls available in their warehouse to be installed.

Since I was under the impression I could get them installed sooner, I signed.

However, as many here know, their installed price was much higher than Tesla. Even now, after the price increases on Tesla's side it's more expensive.

2 Powerwalls:
    $19,500 vs $15,500 (worst case from Tesla's calculator)

A difference of $4k

Now, I'm in confirmed SGIP step 2 with my current installed and that rebate is $9,280.

If I cancel and go with Tesla I might be lucky to get in step 4 or 5 to which the math breaks down as such:

Current (step 2 rebate) $9,280
    Total cost after rebate = $19,500 - $9,280 = $10,220

Tesla (step 4 rebate) $6,960
    Total cost after rebate = $15,500 - $6,960 = $8,540 (Savings of $1,680)

Tesla (step 5 rebate) $5,800
    Total cost after rebate = $15,500 - $5,800 = $9,700 (Savings of $520)

Alternatively I could apply to be a developer myself and potentially get into SCE step 3, but that seems like a fair amount of work and it's dicey on whether it'll pan out or not.

So what would TMC do?

Cancel the order or keep going forward?

2. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

Does Tesla's price include installation, wiring back-up panel etc?

Do you already have Solar?

3. cr0ntab

cr0ntab Member

Solar is getting put in on Monday, so "yes"

In terms of the pricing, I just went off their calculator:

[​IMG]

4. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

Ah, ok. TE quoted me roughly $7900 for a single PW2 installed, but they didn't actually have inventory. I was going to suggest going with my solar provider who has inventory, but prioritizes the Powerwall installation if done with a solar install.

• Like x 1
  5. SoundDaTrumpet

#5 SoundDaTrumpet, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Expect an upper limit for Tesla at $17925.
    1. Powerwall increased from $5500 to $5900
    2. Gateway same.
    3. Sales tax for above. Permits $150.
    4. $800 install. Additional powerwall increased from $100 to $200
    5. Main panel upgrade increase from $2500 to $3600

Guaranteed in contract SGIP rebate vs. program risks. It's a tough decision. I did the homeowner developer route. Even though secured the reservation for funds, program risk is double.

Too bad I can't sell my SGIP reservation, if I didn't sink too much time & energy into it, I would gladly walk away.