Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall2 gateway replaced modbus Solaredge monitoring?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gwgan

Almost a wagon
Aug 11, 2013
Maine
About to add Powerwall to my Solaredge system and wonder if I should keep the modbus meter.
A modbus meter with CTs in the main panel lets me see export, import, and self-consumption as well as panel level data in the Solaredge monitoring app and website.
Does the Tesla gateway replace this functionality?

About to add Powerwall to my Solaredge system and wonder if I should keep the modbus meter.
A modbus meter with CTs in the main panel lets me see export, import, and self-consumption as well as panel level data in the Solaredge monitoring app and website.
Does the Tesla gateway replace this functionality?
The Tesla Gateway will provide redundant consumption information in the Tesla app. If I were you, I would make sure all your existing setup is left untouched. Definitely talk to the lead technician when they arrive and explicitly tell him not to touch the existing consumption meter.

Reactions: Gwgan
Followup. Modbus CTs moved from what was main panel to the Gateway and after accounting for a mislabeled CT all is well on the SE monitoring portal again.

How can the SE monitoring portal monitor the Powerwall? There are no comms set up between the inverters and the Gateway. Can the inverters use another meter for the batteries?

If it matters, my inverters are StorEdge models but the Powerwall 2s are connected to the Tesla Gateway and not the inverters (inverters were installed before Powerwall was a thing).

Followup. Modbus CTs moved from what was main panel to the Gateway and after accounting for a mislabeled CT all is well on the SE monitoring portal again.

How can the SE monitoring portal monitor the Powerwall? There are no comms set up between the inverters and the Gateway. Can the inverters use another meter for the batteries?

If it matters, my inverters are StorEdge models but the Powerwall 2s are connected to the Tesla Gateway and not the inverters (inverters were installed before Powerwall was a thing).
The SE monitoring cannot monitor the Powerwall at all. Your grid consumption will be correct if the SE CTs were correctly placed. I don't know how SE handles Home calculation but most likely it will be thrown off by the Powerwall charge and discharge. I think you will have to ignore their Home value and just look at the Grid value, comparing it to Tesla's Grid value. Since Tesla should also be measuring your solar with their own CTs, the Tesla calculation of Home consumption should be correct.