Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwalls and UPS's During Outages

dandrewk

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Marin County, CA
If the power is shutoff (PG&E, you know the story) AND your Powerwalls are full, AND you have solar, you may find anything attached to in-home UPS's will switch to backup mode, even though everything else is powered.

I verified this by testing it in my system. Read the following link for info and explanations, but it has to do with AC frequency.

Powerwall 2 + UPS Connundrum - and solution

boaterva

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 2, 2016
Northern Virginia, USA
I have a new installation (this summer) and am pretty sure I don’t have this problem. I would think new firmware would fix this but it may depend on panels/microinverters. This is in no way a new problem as the threads go back over a year.

I’ve read hundreds of pages of these threads and am wondering why this doesn’t have a concrete automatic fix for everyone at this time through new firmware (using a lower maximum freq change) unless there’s a hardware limitation.

dandrewk

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Marin County, CA
Good info, but nothing I can do about it now. Power will likely be turned off in 20 minutes. I'm ready to pull plugs from UPS into separate power strips.

Hoping the Powerwalls will do their job in the first real life test.

bmah

Supporting Member
Mar 17, 2015
Lafayette, CA, USA
Good info, but nothing I can do about it now. Power will likely be turned off in 20 minutes. I'm ready to pull plugs from UPS into separate power strips.

Hoping the Powerwalls will do their job in the first real life test.

Why'd you start a new thread instead of adding to the existing one? :confused:

OK, short-term workaround...do you have a Tesla car or other EV? If so, manually start charging it as needed to soak up excess energy to get the SOC in the Powerwalls low enough that they don't need to curtail the solar. This is totally a hack, but I did it during the 9 October outage, which was the first for my system.

Also, recommend you contact Tesla Powerwall support on Monday and get in queue for them to fix this. After a little escalation they configured my Powerwalls to max out at 62Hz, which seems to work well.

Good luck!

Bruce.

boaterva

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 2, 2016
Northern Virginia, USA

OK, short-term workaround...do you have a Tesla car or other EV? If so, manually start charging it as needed to soak up excess energy to get the SOC in the Powerwalls low enough that they don't need to curtail the solar. This is totally a hack, but I did it during the 9 October outage, which was the first for my system.

Also, recommend you contact Tesla Powerwall support on Monday and get in queue for them to fix this. After a little escalation they configured my Powerwalls to max out at 62Hz, which seems to work well.

Good luck!

Bruce.
Do you know if there is a date when installations don’t need to be ‘fixed’ for this? I really should do a controlled test when the sun is out to see what happens when charged to near 100% but was wondering if anyone knew the default state for new installs recently.

Hoping we all don’t need to be ‘adjusted’!

dandrewk

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Marin County, CA

Bruce.

Because the thread's title doesn't help if someone loses power to their UPS devices. "UPS Conundrum" isn't very obvious when trying to find a cause/solution. Especially when the power goes out.

I only discovered it because I independently tested the system. I doubt many would do that, and then find out the hard way. So it's sort of an indirect thread bump.

I will be calling Tesla when this all settles down. If it's something they do remotely, it should only take a day or two.

bmah

Supporting Member
Mar 17, 2015
Lafayette, CA, USA
Do you know if there is a date when installations don’t need to be ‘fixed’ for this? I really should do a controlled test when the sun is out to see what happens when charged to near 100% but was wondering if anyone knew the default state for new installs recently.

Hoping we all don’t need to be ‘adjusted’!

I don't know to be honest. My impression is that the default is still some absurdly high number like 65-66Hz. I'm not familiar with the standard that solar inverters are supposed to follow, but I know that my inverter (Fronius) shuts down at 60.5Hz.

I will be calling Tesla when this all settles down. If it's something they do remotely, it should only take a day or two.

It may longer than that. I already had a support request active when the 10 Oct PSPS hit. In the middle of it I sent an email saying in essence "I'm in a power shutoff situation and I would really like this working properly now", but it still didn't get adjusted until the start of this week. They now have someone scheduled to come out on Wednesday (I'm thinking "WHY?!?" because I already did all the testing their tech would be doing, and I verified that it's now working as desired.)

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva

dandrewk

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Marin County, CA
I
It may longer than that. I already had a support request active when the 10 Oct PSPS hit. In the middle of it I sent an email saying in essence "I'm in a power shutoff situation and I would really like this working properly now", but it still didn't get adjusted until the start of this week. They now have someone scheduled to come out on Wednesday (I'm thinking "WHY?!?" because I already did all the testing their tech would be doing, and I verified that it's now working as desired.)

Bruce.

If a service visit is required, then it will take longer.

I had a glitch in the power distribution matrix that made the app useless and prevented the Powerwalls from recharging. I called support, they recognized the problem at once and said it would be a "day or two" to fix it on their end. It was working the next day.

Power still on, but probably not much longer.

boaterva

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 2, 2016
Northern Virginia, USA
Unless it needs an inverter firmware upgrade (for SolarEdge, at least) I can’t see why a truck roll (site visit) is needed. Everything else is over the air for the TEG. Never understood the default TE response of ‘need a visit, see you in 6-8 weeks’. Then I escalate and sometimes get a better response.

Thanks for the info, Bruce. I need to do a manual test with full PWs and sunshine and see what I get. I was pretty sure the last power outage I got (which only lasted 6 minutes so I didn’t have many seconds to play around) that my UPSes were all happy.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC