Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwalls Don't Turn On When Grid Goes Down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I might remove the cover to the transfer switch in my gateway so I can visibly see the position. But perhaps you are on to something.
It would be really interesting to see the grid data over that time. It could be the power was on but was running dirty
I can turn off the powerwalls, flip the PW breaker, throw the main service disconnect and the TEG is still powerered! I have to pull the positive wire on the CAN bus at the TEG to get a true cold start. Might work for you…
The TEG has a secondary power source from the 12vdc circuit of the powerwalls. This remains regardless of the powerwall breaker and main breaker status.

It would be really interesting to see the grid data over that time. It could be the power was on but was running dirty
Was just coming here to say this, I second the dirty grid power hypothesis.

Not exactly the same thing. But I’ve had dirty power issues in the past where the house ran fine on grid through the TEG but my Tesla wouldn’t charge.
/short version of long story

Our power went out today. It wasn't seamless, it took a couple of minutes but the powerwalls did come on and stayed on for about two hours, at which time they mysteriously failed. We only had a ceiling fan and a light on and possibly the refrigerator. The powerwalls were charged to at least 95%. I restarted the powerwalls three times to no avail.

We are thinking of telling Tesla that we want our money back and that they can remove the system in hopes that that will spur them to take responsibility for the problem.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Our power went out today. It wasn't seamless, it took a couple of minutes but the powerwalls did come on and stayed on for about two hours, at which time they mysteriously failed. We only had a ceiling fan and a light on and possibly the refrigerator. The powerwalls were charged to at least 95%. I restarted the powerwalls three times to no avail.

We are thinking of telling Tesla that we want our money back and that they can remove the system in hopes that that will spur them to take responsibility for the problem.

That's too bad. I would be interested to know if you are able to get a refund.

• Funny
Reactions: jhn_

Can you post a picture from the Tesla app of the Powerwall usage/SOC graph for the day of the outage?

This happened to me again today. The power went out in the neighborhood and the Powerwalls did not pick up the loads. I was not home at the time and this is what the app showed.

PW Inactive_IMG_1885.jpg

The information shown when clicking on the "Tap for more information" was not helpful. Knowing that the app previously indicated that the house load was too much, but my house loads are small, I first turned off the main breaker to be sure that it wasn't the neighborhood load, just in case the Gateway switch wasn't opening. It was too rainy and windy to open the Gateway and get eyes on the switch contacts directly.

I called Tesla Energy Support. I got someone on the phone pretty quickly. They had me toggle one of the rocker switches on the Powerwalls three times OFF & ON. I heard some relays click in the Powerwalls but they did not start up successfully. However, the app changed to "Standby" instead of "Grid Outage: Powerwall Inactive". The phone rep had me turn off most of my breakers to reduce the load. I find this to be ridiculous because the house was running at 1.0kW when the power went out and I have two Powerwalls. Anyway, I did it. Toggling the rocker switch again did nothing. The rep suggested that we had to wait about 5 minutes to see if it was going to work. During that time, the call dropped. So, I just continued on with whatever I could. I pressed "Go Off-Grid" in the app since that had worked for me in the past. It complained that the it could not start because the load was too high. I logged into the Gateway directly through the WiFi from my phone and the LAN connection to the Gateway. My networking stuff is on UPS so it was still working. The web interface to the Gateway also had a "Go Off Grid" button. That one worked. One of the few lights that still had their breaker on turned on immediately. I went back outside and turned on all the breakers that I had turned off, except the main breaker. We ran fine like that for about 2.5 hours until the PG&E power came back on.

When the power came back on, I had to notice that the neighbors' power was back on because the app did not indicate the grid status since I turned off the main breaker. I went back outside and turned on the main breaker. Then I pressed the "Go On-Grid" button in the app. Initially it said something about failing, but almost instantly after that said it was successful. About 10 seconds later I heard the Gateway switch close. A few minutes later, I got the text from PG&E that power was restored.

This happened to me again today. The power went out in the neighborhood and the Powerwalls did not pick up the loads. I was not home at the time and this is what the app showed.

View attachment 915976
The information shown when clicking on the "Tap for more information" was not helpful. Knowing that the app previously indicated that the house load was too much, but my house loads are small, I first turned off the main breaker to be sure that it wasn't the neighborhood load, just in case the Gateway switch wasn't opening. It was too rainy and windy to open the Gateway and get eyes on the switch contacts directly.

I called Tesla Energy Support. I got someone on the phone pretty quickly. They had me toggle one of the rocker switches on the Powerwalls three times OFF & ON. I heard some relays click in the Powerwalls but they did not start up successfully. However, the app changed to "Standby" instead of "Grid Outage: Powerwall Inactive". The phone rep had me turn off most of my breakers to reduce the load. I find this to be ridiculous because the house was running at 1.0kW when the power went out and I have two Powerwalls. Anyway, I did it. Toggling the rocker switch again did nothing. The rep suggested that we had to wait about 5 minutes to see if it was going to work. During that time, the call dropped. So, I just continued on with whatever I could. I pressed "Go Off-Grid" in the app since that had worked for me in the past. It complained that the it could not start because the load was too high. I logged into the Gateway directly through the WiFi from my phone and the LAN connection to the Gateway. My networking stuff is on UPS so it was still working. The web interface to the Gateway also had a "Go Off Grid" button. That one worked. One of the few lights that still had their breaker on turned on immediately. I went back outside and turned on all the breakers that I had turned off, except the main breaker. We ran fine like that for about 2.5 hours until the PG&E power came back on.

When the power came back on, I had to notice that the neighbors' power was back on because the app did not indicate the grid status since I turned off the main breaker. I went back outside and turned on the main breaker. Then I pressed the "Go On-Grid" button in the app. Initially it said something about failing, but almost instantly after that said it was successful. About 10 seconds later I heard the Gateway switch close. A few minutes later, I got the text from PG&E that power was restored.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sorry this happened to you again. It seems that many people have reported similar problems with PWs not working when the grid goes down, and it is very concerning since that is probably one of the most important features of them to most people. I'm beginning to suspect that some recent firmware updates have caused this to happen more frequently since we didn't hear too much about this 3-5 years ago. It almost sounds like the main contactor is not opening when the grid goes down. Were you close to the GW when you pushed the Go Off Grid button, and if so, did you hear the contactor open at that point?

Reactions: dhrivnak

View attachment 915976

Did it show you how much load it thinks your house was pulling?

View attachment 915976

Large inrush load that was primed to turn on as soon as the powerwalls came up (well pump or pool pump or something? Do you have any unusual inductive loads at your house? Did you turn off the breaker that serves your UPS? Wonder if it might have been undesirably affecting the frequency on your microgrid.

Would be nice if you could recreate the issue with the Go Off Grid toggle. That way you could go a breaker at a time, including the one that serves your UPS, to see if there is a particular one that makes a difference.

Large inrush load that was primed to turn on as soon as the powerwalls came up (well pump or pool pump or something? Do you have any unusual inductive loads at your house? Did you turn off the breaker that serves your UPS? Wonder if it might have been undesirably affecting the frequency on your microgrid.

Would be nice if you could recreate the issue with the Go Off Grid toggle. That way you could go a breaker at a time, including the one that serves your UPS, to see if there is a particular one that makes a difference.
I don't have any significant motor loads. The only ones I can think of are the refrigerator and two gas furnaces. However, the furnaces are variable speed, so they probably don't have significant start up loads. I do have three 1500VA UPS units that would immediately start charging. I will definitely do more testing.

There was actually a one hour outage early this morning from 5:49am to 6:56am and the Powerwall worked as expected.

• Informative
Reactions: GWord and Vines
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sorry this happened to you again. It seems that many people have reported similar problems with PWs not working when the grid goes down, and it is very concerning since that is probably one of the most important features of them to most people. I'm beginning to suspect that some recent firmware updates have caused this to happen more frequently since we didn't hear too much about this 3-5 years ago. It almost sounds like the main contactor is not opening when the grid goes down. Were you close to the GW when you pushed the Go Off Grid button, and if so, did you hear the contactor open at that point?
I have a 5 year old Gateway 1 and I also suspect that Tesla is not thoroughly testing their firmware updates with this old hardware. 2022 was the first time that my Powerwalls did not pick up the load.

I was not near the Powerwalls or Gateway when I finally got the Go Off Grid to work. I was standing in my garage out of the wind and rain and where I could see if the lights would turn on.

• Informative
Reactions: power.saver
Did it show you how much load it thinks your house was pulling?
The house was pulling 0.8kW and the Powerwalls were satisfying that load during the Peak period when the grid went out. That is probably the most frustrating part to me - it should have been a seamless transition because the PWs were already powering the house. However, real grid outages in stormy weather are rarely a nice clean power cut.

Grid Outage Chart 2023-03-9_IMG_1887.jpg

The missing data for the second discharge gap and the missing PW SOC is from the end of the outage period when the internet also went down. I thought the Gateway would upload the missing data when connectivity returned, but evidently not. The higher discharge peak is after the grid came back up and the PWs went back to offsetting Peak period usage. They were still 1% above the reserve when the Peak period ended.

Hi all, I'm adding our own issue here which is almost the same as what I'm reading in this thread. We have an 8.6 kW Tesla solar roof, two Powerwalls (one is the + with solar inverter) and new Tesla gateway. Installation was in December 2021 and the system has been working well. We have not had any grid outage from what we can remember until Feb 15 when the grid was out for 4 hours. The PowerWalls didn't take over despite a ~60% SoC and only 0.9 kW draw from the house which was supplied by solar when the grid went out. I went to chat with support during the outage and was asked to toggle PowerWall switches off and on (as I had tried before the chat), then toggling the breakers in the gateway for the PowerWalls, none of which made the PowerWalls take over. We finally tried opening almost all breakers in our main panel since the error message seemed to indicate that too much power was requested (don't think so...). This also didn't work and support assumed that the (nonexistent?!) 12V battery had lost charge and was unable to turn the system back on. When the grid came back, power was supplied to the house without any interaction and all seemed normal.
A few days later I called phone support and tried another test by opening the 200A grid connection breaker and the result was the same: PowerWalls didn't take over despite plenty of charge left and no large draw from the house. Again, nothing support suggested made the system take over.
Our case is with Tier 2 support, which is not customer facing (great 👏:rolleyes:) and initial response date was fifteen business days, then phone support claimed it would only be 5 business, then an email response claimed 20 business days, then, after another chat, response was supposed to be 30 business days. It's basically a soup nazi situation, the more you ask, the longer it'll take and the more days they add, because they can, or so it seems. Requests for tech support to do a site visit were also denied because Tier 2 support allegedly will be able to fix the issue through software/firmware with 90% certainty. I guess this would be ok if they didn't take over a month or who knows how long to check and fix it. I'm thinking the issue is with the gateway and it's either a software or design issue, but who knows. Sadly, it's another example of Tesla's abysmal customer support. Improving support and turnaround times really needs to be a top priority for Tesla this year. As we all know, Tesla's products are top notch and industry leading and often without competition, but if anything goes wrong it's generally impossible to get a fast and competent fix.

Attachments

• IMG_9588.jpeg
    IMG_9588.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9587.jpeg
    IMG_9587.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9585.jpeg
    IMG_9585.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9584.jpeg
    IMG_9584.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9589.jpeg
    IMG_9589.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9799.jpeg
    IMG_9799.jpeg
    24.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9800.jpeg
    IMG_9800.jpeg
    22.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9801.jpeg
    IMG_9801.jpeg
    25.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9805.jpeg
    IMG_9805.jpeg
    26.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Informative
Reactions: cali8484
Similar experience to the OP here.
Nighttime. Powerwall was powering the house. Load was about 0.9kW. SoC was about 80%. Reserve for backup was set to 10%.

Flipped the grid isolation switch to simulate a power cut. No electricity.

Flipped grid isolation switch back on. Power restored.

Tried again. Same result.

Pressing ‘go off grid’ works as expected.

“Powerwall will also provide backup power by detecting grid outages and automatically becoming the home's main power source.” How Powerwall Works | Tesla Support United Kingdom

With that system size and 2 powerwalls, you should have been ok, so it doesnt sound to me like "not enough powerwalls for the loads" is the answer, unless you tried to start a bunch of stuff at the same time, and you mention you didnt.

i would suggest to you that you simulate a real outage, not with the "go off grid" function, but by actually throwing the main breaker for your home. I dont trust that the "go off grid" in the app function is the same thing (well it really isnt). One (throwing the main breaker) actually cuts off power from the utility to your home, simulating a real power outage.

The other (go off grid in the app) seems to just have the gateway stop using power from the grid, simulating an outage.

Its certainly frustrating to spend all the money this equipment costs and not have it function the way you expect it to. Hope you can get it figured out.
This makes me quite curious... the way my system is connected, grid power connects from the meter to the gateway, as do the inverters and the Powerwalls. The gateway supplies the load center where my "main breaker" is, and decides which source supplies it. So I am thinking that throwing my "main breaker" would only separate my load center from all supply sources by disconnecting it from the gateway, assuming the gateway supplies the load center thru that breaker rather than directly to the bus. Which is the reason for the quotation marks around the "main breaker" designation. I would think that in actualIty, the main breaker for the load center must remain an actual main breaker.... Got to be something I am misunderstanding I reckon.