Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwalls don't turn on with Power Outage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was keeping the Powerwalls switched off as I only plan on using them during a power outage and don't need instant switchover. FYI this is a bad idea. The gateway needs a power source when power fails, and without a functioning gateway the Powerwalls won't turn on. I saw some posts about jumping the gateway with 12 volt power but I couldn't figure out how to do this. Any insights?

I was keeping the Powerwalls switched off as I only plan on using them during a power outage and don't need instant switchover. FYI this is a bad idea. The gateway needs a power source when power fails, and without a functioning gateway the Powerwalls won't turn on. I saw some posts about jumping the gateway with 12 volt power but I couldn't figure out how to do this. Any insights?

A relevant thread might be this one:

Restarting PW during power grid outage

Note, I would also recommend simply leaving the powerwalls on. They do use some power keeping themselves on, like all powered items, but it is minimal. I understand you mentioning you "dont need instant switchover" but powerwalls are not "designed" to be shut off, then powered on like a generator when needed. They are designed to stay on and swap over.

Even jumping them back on seems like it would be just in an emergency situation.

In any case, the thread above is the one I remember talking about it, but I do not have any first hand knowledge myself following those procedures. Hope it helps you.

We only turned ours off when after install they had vampire drained to I think the low 20s or teens. No PTO yet to charge from solar. But we also did so knowing that there wasn’t a PSPS in the picture. When the app showed StormWatch Active the other day we turned them on to charge during off peak time (did so up to 98%) so if we lost power for possibly day or more we’d have the battery back up there hopefully for the duration of power outage. PWs are on still at this point but will probably turn back off once this latest high wind event has passed to preserve power. Should have PTO in next few weeks and then will be left on as intended. Yes, turning off system and then losing power with them off doesn’t help you at all even if they are sitting charged since you won’t be able to access them as normal. Can’t wait to get word from PG&E/Tesla.

There are jumper start ports in the gateway (GW1 or GW2). You have to open it up and get some power leads from a source to the ports. The manual for your Gateway lists them.

But, really you should just leave the Powerwall switches on. The only reason to turn them off and on is to reset the Powerwall.

Sadly I don't have too much choice turning them off. I still have power issues from the utility where the voltage drops low enough that the Powerwalls get confused and cycle on and off repeatedly and try to match the low line voltage. This happens quite frequently. PSE&G is supposed to upgrade my line but they have to do a lot of tree work to get this done and the last hurricane has put this issue on their back burner.