Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwalls in standby mode since app update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After I updated my Tesla App Monday, my Powerwalls have not done anything. They have not charged or been used, stuck at 46% charged. At the top under my house it says standby. I have it set to time of day use with my utility plan selected. If I turn it to 100% backup it will charge from the grid but goes in to standby once I put it back to time of use. Anyone know how to get it out of standby mode? All of the posts I can find are for much older versions of the app. Thanks in advance.

After I updated my Tesla App Monday, my Powerwalls have not done anything. They have not charged or been used, stuck at 46% charged. At the top under my house it says standby. I have it set to time of day use with my utility plan selected. If I turn it to 100% backup it will charge from the grid but goes in to standby once I put it back to time of use. Anyone know how to get it out of standby mode? All of the posts I can find are for much older versions of the app. Thanks in advance.

You said "If I turn it to 100% backup it will charge from the grid". Do you have solar? If yes, then its not supposed to be charging from the grid at all (unless stormwatch is activated).

Upvote 0
I do have solar. I do not know why it is doing that.

Are you sure its charging from the grid and not your solar? If so, then either some settings got corrupted somehow, your installer messed up, or you (or someone else in your home) was messing around in the installer menu.

I would start by resetting your gateway and power cycling, and see if the same behavior occurs. Then, I would contact your installer if it still occurs (that is, if you are 100% sure it is charging from the grid and not from your solar).

Reactions: Electrph
Upvote 0
Are you sure its charging from the grid and not your solar? If so, then either some settings got corrupted somehow, your installer messed up, or you (or someone else in your home) was messing around in the installer menu.

I would start by resetting your gateway and power cycling, and see if the same behavior occurs. Then, I would contact your installer if it still occurs (that is, if you are 100% sure it is charging from the grid and not from your solar).
How do you restart the gateway?

Upvote 0
If its a gateway 2 has recessed “Click” type button in a hole can’t miss it … I find plastic or wooden chopstick works great
the full restart process should be on tesla website that’s where I found it
basically you are shutting off solar at inverter / shutting off inverter breaker shutting off power wall(s) on rocker switch(s) / shutting off power wall breakers / then shutting off main service breaker ..then wait 5-10min depending on ur ocd level then reverse process …
better to read guideline on Tesla website I’m going from getting old guy memory

Upvote 0

I would recommend starting with teslas online troubleshooting process. I believe they have instructions for that somewhere in those workflows. I dont know if we have the same gateway, and I think it would be best to start with the official steps from tesla.

At a high level you power cycle everything like you would power cycle your home network.

Reactions: Electrph
Upvote 0
Did you figure it out?
So... I had something similar happened to me last year. The Powerwall was about 8 months old. Ended up 2-3months wait for someone to look at... for 15min, and another 2-3 months to replace the Powerwall. Hope that is not happening to you.

Upvote 0
I would recommend starting with teslas online troubleshooting process. I believe they have instructions for that somewhere in those workflows. I dont know if we have the same gateway, and I think it would be best to start with the official steps from tesla.

At a high level you power cycle everything like you would power cycle your home network.

Just copying and pasting the steps here… Gateway 2 and Powerwall 2 (no plus).

1. If you have a Powerwall Gateway, reset it by pressing the reset button for approximately ten seconds and wait for five minutes. Proceed with next steps if your Gateway does not have a reset button or resetting does not resolve the issue.
  2. Turn off your solar inverter if your home is connected to a solar system
  3. Turn off your Powerwall using the Power Switch on the right side of your Powerwall
  4. Turn off all Powerwall breakers. Locate the electrical panel that your Powerwall is connected to, then switch its breaker (typically located on your main panel labeled 'Battery' or 'Powerwall') to the off position.
  5. Turn off the main service disconnect. Locate the main service disconnect (typically located in main electrical panel or sub panel) that connects your home to your utility's grid, then switch it to the off position. Note: Turning off the main service disconnect will shut off power for your home
  6. Wait no less than five minutes to allow your system to fully reboot
  7. Turn on the main service disconnect, and switch all Powerwall breakers to the on position. Turn on your Powerwall using the power switch, and then turn on your solar inverter.

Oddly it doesn’t say anything about using a chopstick, but a chopstick is the best tool for step 1 🤔

• Informative
Reactions: bemyax
Upvote 0
Guh… these instructions didn’t work for me. My system shows “standby” and any excess solar that isn’t being consumed by the home is being exported to the grid. The Powerwalls are at 68% SoC.

But if I “go off grid” then the Tesla system will come out of standby. What’s weird is when I’m off grid, the system will charge the batteries with the excess solar. And if I open the solar breakers, the Powerwalls will export to power the home.

I just have no way to get energy into the batteries unless I go off grid. It’s so weird…

Upvote 0
Guh… these instructions didn’t work for me. My system shows “standby” and any excess solar that isn’t being consumed by the home is being exported to the grid. The Powerwalls are at 68% SoC.

But if I “go off grid” then the Tesla system will come out of standby. What’s weird is when I’m off grid, the system will charge the batteries with the excess solar. And if I open the solar breakers, the Powerwalls will export to power the home.

I just have no way to get energy into the batteries unless I go off grid. It’s so weird…

Have you tried self powered? I dont use all the fancy time based control stuff, but its my understanding that those have algorithms in them to try to "helpfully manage" this type of stuff, while there is pretty much none of that in self powered.

Upvote 0
Have you tried self powered? I dont use all the fancy time based control stuff, but its my understanding that those have algorithms in them to try to "helpfully manage" this type of stuff, while there is pretty much none of that in self powered.

Self powered just makes it so the Powerwalls discharge to offset anything the solar cannot cover. So I avoid drawing from the grid.

But even with self powered still checked and the system grid-tied… if solar comes back and is in excess of the home loads, the system exports to the grid instead of charging the batteries.

If I go off grid then everything works as expected.

Upvote 0
Strange, normally in self powered mode excess solar goes to fill the powerwalls first, and only exports to the grid when the powerwalls are full. I remember more than one thread on this, but dont have time right now to search for the other one I remember. If you are WFH atm I would suggest calling tesla energy support and asking them to look at it, if you have time.

Upvote 0

Can you go to the api status page (/api/system_status)? The grid may not be compliant and you would see an error there.

Upvote 0
yblaser talking like I'm smart enough to understand what an API is and how to access the status page. But he should know better... my brain can only handle turning on and off disconnects.

Anyway, somehow the system just started working today. Maybe yesterday and this morning was too cloudy? I'm still sad that a chopstick did not work to solve my problem :(

• Funny
Reactions: yblaser
Upvote 0