Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwalls in the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lincsat Try extending the offpeak period into the early morning, this means that it will charge to a higher level to cover the extended period; however this only works if there has NOT been high solar generation in the previous three days.

Lincsat Try extending the offpeak period into the early morning, this means that it will charge to a higher level to cover the extended period; however this only works if there has NOT been high solar generation in the previous three days.

I thought of that but it stops charging before the end of the current off-peak period.

I've tried playing with the powercut reserve. I've found if you extend that before the start of off-peak, then it does charge more. I normally have it at 10%, but I extended to 25% before off-peak and the battery fully charged, so will play around with that to check it's repeatable.

I understand what the Tesla algorithm is trying to do but it's just too harsh for the UK with our unpredictable weather. I'm going to see if the reserve tweaking can help when there is a cloudy day forecast.

My Powerwall surprised me last night by charging to 100% as if it knew that today's solar generation would be abysmal. On the previous night it had only done a small top-up to 75% with no off-peak charging on the night before that. Has Tesla started looking at the weather forecast?

My Powerwall surprised me last night by charging to 100% as if it knew that today's solar generation would be abysmal. On the previous night it had only done a small top-up to 75% with no off-peak charging on the night before that. Has Tesla started looking at the weather forecast?
Followed zero off-peak charging last night with today's weather forecast showing solid sunshine. It's looking promising but there will be plenty of sunny / cloudy days when forecasts of solar generation will never be very accurate.

Lucky you. Mine failed to charge at all - previous day's stored solar carried the house until sunrise, then ran out.

Thanks to yesterday's soggy weather I only got 2.4 kWh of solar, so had to rely on the grid all day. Cost me £4.26 in peak-rate leccy instead of the £1.72 it would have cost had the PW2 filled its boots during the overnight off-peak period.

The Powerwall's "Artificial Ignorance" is not fit for purpose.

Reactions: xWren
Lucky you. Mine failed to charge at all - previous day's stored solar carried the house until sunrise, then ran out.

Thanks to yesterday's soggy weather I only got 2.4 kWh of solar, so had to rely on the grid all day. Cost me £4.26 in peak-rate leccy instead of the £1.72 it would have cost had the PW2 filled its boots during the overnight off-peak period.

The Powerwall's "Artificial Ignorance" is not fit for purpose.
Perhaps your PW is still at the learning stage? Mine has been in use for a few days over 4 years. However, it's plausible that Tesla is quietly rolling out this feature starting with the oldest. Manual intervention may be needed to turn an address into coordinates input into the solar generation forecast. This would have started very recently as my PW was caught out by the grotty days at the start of March which followed the sunshine of late February.

Perhaps your PW is still at the learning stage?
I'll admit to it being in Self-Powered mode up until end of January this year, when we finally switched to Octopus Go. System was installed in mid October 2021.

The consensus is the AI has only ever looked back at the last few days to determine what'll happen tomorrow. This matches our experience over the last 6 weeks. If Tesla is in the process of (finally) fixing this behaviour then I'll be a happy camper. I'm not buying a tent just yet though.

I'll admit to it being in Self-Powered mode up until end of January this year, when we finally switched to Octopus Go. System was installed in mid October 2021.The consensus is the AI has only ever looked back at the last few days to determine what'll happen tomorrow. This matches our experience over the last 6 weeks. If Tesla is in the process of (finally) fixing this behaviour then I'll be a happy camper. I'm not buying a tent just yet though.
I'm in contact with someone else who has had a pair of PWs for nearly 3 years and he's also seeing more intelligent charging behaviour during the last few days so it might be a matter of the time needed to roll out the new feature. Keep fingers crossed! You might end up with somewhat less than the 3 1/2 years (since time-based control was introduced) of frustrations that I've had to tolerate.

We have been forcing our powerwall to charge to 100% in offpeak since early December by adjusting the sell rate; so we have not noticed any changes, but we would be very surprised by this. I would have expected some rumours by people testing this. We have just gone self powered, so I will not be able to make any observations, but look forward to following yours.

Another sign of the changed charging algorithm: My Powerwall did some charging last night which, given the recent very sunny weather, is contrary to past behavior. However, my interpretation of today's forecast is less sunny, not continuous cloud, so I'm doubting that this top-up charging was needed.

Reactions: scdoubleu
In anticipation of today's low cloud off the North Sea, I set two alarms last night so I could adjust the backup reserve to at least get something in the Powerwall during the off-peak period. Knowing the Powerwall's behaviour when a bad solar day follows a run of good solar days, this seemed like a reasonable idea. At 1.7 kW, it wouldn't charge to 100% in the 3 hours available, but it would offset some of the expected peak costs today.

Imagine my surprise, at the 2nd alarm, to see the Powerwall was at 100% charge.

Checked the HomeAssistant graph this morning:

Screenshot 2022-03-27 at 10.55.16.png

It started charging at 1.7 Kw at 00:30, but at around 0:45 it ramped up to the full 3.6 kW (DNO restriction) and stayed there until the battery was at 100%.

So maybe something has changed, as noted by @JohnRatsey. Next time I won't intervene.

The better then expected weather caught me out as well. I did manage to get a full 100% in the battery despite the time change but with the Sun coming out early, I was fully charged again around 1pm and had to run out and plug in the car to use the surplus.

We’re getting a quote for installing a PW and solar and when installed switching to Octopus
Tesla Plan. Is the PW easy to manage? Or can it be set and forget about it?

Our electric bill is going up ~50% in August. So running the numbers we’ll get pay back in a short time unless energy prices fall.