Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwalls Install and Electrical Outlets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried searching in previous posts but didn't find anything. I am scheduled for next month to get solar and two powerwalls installed. I plan on getting the powerwalls installed inside my garage. The problem is the two locations where I would want the powerwalls to be installed, both have power outlets that the powerwalls would cover. Is it reasonable to expect Tesla installers to move my outlets, or should I hire an electrician to do this prior to install?

I assume these outlets are standard 15amp or maybe 20amp outlets?
Did you have a site inspection by Tesla?
I am also getting 2 power walls installed and have an outlet on the wall .. i actually asked tesla rep if i would lose outlet and he said no they will install around it or relocate it elsewhere on wall. He acted like it was not a big deal (my garage is drywall only, not fully finished, if that makes difference.)
I feel like for any electrician that can install a powerwall relocating a basic household outlet should be child's play

I assume these outlets are standard 15amp or maybe 20amp outlets?
Did you have a site inspection by Tesla?
I am also getting 2 power walls installed and have an outlet on the wall .. i actually asked tesla rep if i would lose outlet and he said no they will install around it or relocate it elsewhere on wall. He acted like it was not a big deal (my garage is drywall only, not fully finished, if that makes difference.)
I feel like for any electrician that can install a powerwall relocating a basic household outlet should be child's play

One outlet is 15amp outlet and the other 20 amp.

I wish they did a site inspection but they did not unfortunately.

I agree it should be a quick thing but I want to find out before install day. I have a message out to my advisor so we will see.

Most people don’t have one. We didn’t. We sent in photos etc. Because of our limited wall space in the garage on the wall opposite the main service panel and with other equipment on it, plus the fact I wanted the gateway and inverter on the opposite garage wall with the PowerWalls, I think it would have been better in our case to have had someone come out. Electrician and his team had more to do than I think they thought and so were kind of at a disadvantage. I think for most homes though it’s pretty straight forward and not usually a necessity.

If they see for a solar install looking at aerial photos there might be an issue (vents, tiles, age of house/roof, older neighborhood, softscaping potential issues), they might suggest one. I think it depends on the crews also available to do them. Of course the wildcard can sometimes be the city issuing the permit and checking your house plans along with the permit ones or even the utility can raise concerns. A site visit doesn’t necessarily help if those come up. It does help if they've worked with the city before.

There are still many homeowners who might not be tech savvy to take photos on their cellphone and send. Stuff like that. Otherwise the install crews can be fairly adaptable, more so with the non-roof part.

Last edited:
One outlet is 15amp outlet and the other 20 amp.

I wish they did a site inspection but they did not unfortunately.

I agree it should be a quick thing but I want to find out before install day. I have a message out to my advisor so we will see.

They moved my tesla wall connector (which was already installed, and permitted etc) during the setup of my powerwalls, etc. I doubt you would have an issue with them moving outlets, as long as you want the outlet on the same wall somewhere, and its not on the other side of a door or something.

• Helpful
Reactions: All In