Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwalls now available for direct order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting.

I clicked it, and if you select 1 powerwall, already have solar, expanding a system, its $8200 for one. It also says that they are shipping it directly to you, and installation is basically on you to arrange with the third party installer of your choice (and some notes to confirm your desired configuration should be verified with said installer before ordering).

This has the potential to be a big cluster.... since it appears they are letting people order them, and tesla still is not offering "powerwall add on only" installs, at least not that I saw. People are going to buy these powerwalls and then get shocked at what the labor charge from a third party is going to be to install them.

Interesting.

I clicked it, and if you select 1 powerwall, already have solar, expanding a system, its $8200 for one. It also says that they are shipping it directly to you, and installation is basically on you to arrange with the third party installer of your choice (and some notes to confirm your desired configuration should be verified with said installer before ordering).

This has the potential to be a big cluster.... since it appears they are letting people order them, and tesla still is not offering "powerwall add on only" installs, at least not that I saw. People are going to buy these powerwalls and then get shocked at what the labor charge from a third party is going to be to install them.
Yes and we are a small local solar installer and after over 3 years, 5 applications and about 10 phone calls we gave up on Tesla and sell and install the FranklinWH batteries that are similar. We also sell SolarEdge and Sol-Ark/Fortress.

Looks promising to me. I already have Tesla solar, inverter, GW2, and 2 PW. Presumably I can just get a 3rd PW, hang it on the wall, run a pair of AC wires and control wires to the GW2, plug them into a new circuit breaker in the GW2 and data port, and be done. And collect 30% tax credit on top.
Is it 30% or only up to $1000 tax credit? Honest question - I am seeing conflicting info.

Edit: Nevermind. I found the answer based on the IRA of 2022, Residential Clean Energy Property Credit of 30% is applicable to battery storage technology expenditures.

Last edited:
$9200 for one, here in SF Bay area. They don't sell the Tesla Gateway though. How can you install one of these without a gateway, with or without solar?
Apparently it does include a Gateway. If you answer "yes" to "Are you expanding a Powerwall System?" then the prices go down by $1,000.

Looks like the price is $200 (shipping/overhead) plus $1,000 for the Gateway (if required) plus $8,000 per PW.

Cheers, Wayne

I got Tesla solar last October and had to show a ton of restraint not to get a powerwall. I don’t think it makes a ton of sense for me since I’m on a TOU plan with a 100% renewable plan so even when I’m not generating, I pull from a renewable source. Our power rarely goes out and I generate enough to cover our usage. But it seems so cool to have a battery and to support the grid during heavier use periods. Now I’m going to have this option taunting me every day!

Reactions: Baluchi
At this price maybe I should try and get some more :)
First ... damn you and your 2 gateways and 7 powerwalls (shaking fist)!

And then, hmm, if it includes the gateway, this is interesting. When I did a Tesla quote several months ago to add to my existing 4kw system, I really was more interested in the Powerwall, the required 4.8kw solar was more difficult to pencil out due to my remaining non-optimal roof space (only 5000 kwh estimated annual production).

Interest in the Powerwall was partly for backup, but also for load-shifting. If Tesla had decoupled the quotes, I could make Powerwall alone pencil out with <10 year payback with EV2-A and nominal summer load-shifting. And I wouldn't be forced from NEM1 to NEM2 just installing Powerwalls either. I have exactly 10 years left on NEM1 before being pushed to NEM3, so at that point the Powerwall would just have broken even. But assuming it lasts longer than 10 years, it will help retain the value of my existing solar array, which I've calculated will retain only about 50% of its annual benefit under NEM3, but retain closer to 100% with an ESS.

Still, $9200 for 1 Powerwall + 1 Gateway - ain't no way any Tesla certified installer is going to install that for anywhere close to the $2300 in the Tesla quote. Probably more like $10K labor that a friend got quoted to add an Enphase gateway to her solar install last year (and that was without any batteries).

Still, $9200 for 1 Powerwall + 1 Gateway - ain't no way any Tesla certified installer is going to install that for anywhere close to the $2300 in the Tesla quote. Probably more like $10K labor that a friend got quoted to add an Enphase gateway to her solar install last year (and that was without any batteries).
I miss the Tesla loss-leader days when they charged me $900 to install two Powerwalls and tie them to an existing solar system.