Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PowerWalls offline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bob_p

Apr 5, 2012
We're away from home for a long road trip and discovered our 4 PowerWalls appear to be offline. The Tesla app shows 4x PowerWalls and 0% charge. The Power Flow charts show that no energy has gone into or out of the PowerWalls for the past 6 days. The last time the PowerWalls had any activity, they appeared to be charging and likely got to 100% charge mid-day - and after that - nothing.

I logged into the installer interface using the Gateway's web portal - and the diagnostics indicate the CAN bus is not communicating with any of the 4 PowerWalls.

Unfortunately, I'm not at home right now - so only have remote access via the app and the web interface. I tried turning the system off and then back on using the web interface - and that didn't do anything.

I called Tesla - and they indicated they aren't able to do anything remotely - they don't have any way to get the Gateway to reboot remotely (seems like a design flaw!) - the only way is to use the reset button on the Gateway panel.

Has anyone else seen this issue - and resolved it?

Has anyone figured out a way to reboot the Gateway remotely?

Tesla said they couldn't help until I was back home - and had physical access to the equipment.

I plan to first power cycle all 4 PowerWalls - and then do a reset on the Gateway.

If that doesn't correct the problem, then I'll do a full power shutdown - turn off all 4 PowerWalls, through the breakers for the solar panels & PowerWalls and disconnect the grid power from the Gateway (which will also shutdown our house) - and wait 10 minutes before starting everything back up.

And if that doesn't fix it, then we may have a hardware issue requiring a service visit.

Really unfortunate that Tesla doesn't at least provide a "reboot" command through the Tesla app or the Gateway web interface (at least through the installer page)...

This actually happened to me a couple weeks ago. Just hit the reset button in your GW. Your PW's will blink rapidly for a while then they should be good to go. There's no need to power cycle all your PW's.

I have 4 PW's as well and this has only happened to me once in the just over a year the system's been running. And sorry, I don't think there is a remote way to reset it.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Seems like I might pick up a Switchbot (on Amazon) or something similar just in case that were to ever happen... Though, having a reset option in the gateway itself would make things easier (not sure if there's anything in the API that would allow for it)...

Seems like I might pick up a Switchbot (on Amazon) or something similar just in case that were to ever happen...

I'm not sure if you've ever had to reset a Tesla GW, but the reset button is very recessed and requires human intervention to reset it. And I'm not knocking your idea either. In practice, it's a good idea. It would be great if there was such a switchbot or something similar that existed that could actually get to that reset button remotely.

I'm not sure if you've ever had to reset a Tesla GW, but the reset button is very recessed and requires human intervention to reset it. And I'm not knocking your idea either. In practice, it's a good idea. It would be great if there was such a switchbot or something similar that existed that could actually get to that reset button remotely.

Just need to insert a plastic piece in there lined up with the reset button... I've cut a piece of rigid plastic tubing to length so it's easier to hit that button if I ever need to (or, really, if I need the wife to press that button)... I'm not going anywhere any time soon, so, I can handle it, but, I may get a switchbot setup done on it if I ever plan to leave for a while...

Switchbot is an interesting idea, though it may not fit inside the panel, and would require extending the recessed reset button out enough so the switchbot could reach it. Plus, the switchbot would need to hold the reset button down for a long enough period to trigger the reset.

If a simple reset is all that is needed - the better solution would be to provide owners the ability to do a reset through the app or web interface.

Plus, we didn't get any Tesla app notifications when the PowerWalls went offline - so we weren't aware this had happened until almost a week later - which is also a problem that Tesla should fix.

Since my TEG is in the garage, I don't really care if the panel is open or closed (or removed)... So, the switchbot would work in that instance...

But, yes, do agree that they could implement a software reset option (however, if the software has hung, then, the physical reset button may still be necessary).

Since my TEG is in the garage, I don't really care if the panel is open or closed (or removed)... So, the switchbot would work in that instance...

But, yes, do agree that they could implement a software reset option (however, if the software has hung, then, the physical reset button may still be necessary).

I believe it to be hung software and that reset button, like with a frozen computer, would be the only way to rest it.

Probably cutting something like a #2 pencil to length would probably work and then actuating the pencil with the switchbot to reset it. Anything non-metallic that can be cut to length would work I would think.

I believe it to be hung software and that reset button, like with a frozen computer, would be the only way to rest it.

Probably cutting something like a #2 pencil to length would probably work and then actuating the pencil with the switchbot to reset it. Anything non-metallic that can be cut to length would work I would think.

I have a small plastic tube (scrap plastic) that I left in there to make it easy to reach... Haven't tried a pen/pencil to see if that would work, but, if that works, that's definitely easier for most - trim it down so the switchbot can press it.

I'm sure a pen or pencil should work since it needs to be easy enough when the installers are also there (and if you're told to reset it with support, they don't want you to have to find some proprietary "jamming stick" :p )

With this discussion, I'm guessing we'll see a remote reset tool for the TEG coming out in the future on Amazon... Or Tesla will implement something, probably, the address this concern...

Our TEG is outside and accessible. However, we'll be home tomorrow and I'll work on the system then.

Usually reset switches require more than a single press and release - may have to hold down for multiple seconds.

Our system isn't hung - it's running and operating. So a software reset should work.

Or, if there was a way to force the TEG to reinstall the last software update - that would also do the equivalent of a reset.