Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PowerWalls offline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried that.

Threw the breakers for the 4 PowerWalls and solar panels - and the breaker inside the TEG panel which disconnects the grid power. Waited for 10 minutes - and then powered the TEG and reset the breakers for the solar panels and PowerWalls.

The PowerWalls won't turn on - all 4 have their LEDs black.

It appears they may be looked for a 12V signal over the CAN bus from the TEG before they'll power up.

Tesla and our local tech believe the PowerWalls are likely between 75-100% charged - based on the home/grid power logs before and after they went offline.

The local tech also tried disconnecting all 4 PowerWalls from the CAN bus - and connect only one at a time - just in case one of the PowerWalls was causing this problem. And that didn't have any impact.

I plan to call Tesla tomorrow - check on the status of the replacement board (since it was supposed to be shipped by now) - and if they believe there is a firmware update coming that could fix this without the board swap.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
Just got off the phone with Tesla PowerWall support.

The latest firmware is 21.20.7 - pushed out around August 29 - which is after our PowerWalls went offline. So the updated firmware didn't have any impact on the problem.

And according to the phone support rep - the problem we are having is caused by hardware - and that a firmware update won't provide a solution.

Unfortunately - they still haven't shipped the replacement board.

So we could be without backup power for this entire hurricane season...

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
Just got off the phone with Tesla PowerWall support.

The latest firmware is 21.20.7 - pushed out around August 29 - which is after our PowerWalls went offline. So the updated firmware didn't have any impact on the problem.

And according to the phone support rep - the problem we are having is caused by hardware - and that a firmware update won't provide a solution.

Unfortunately - they still haven't shipped the replacement board.

So we could be without backup power for this entire hurricane season...
FWIW: We are at 21.31.1, but it isn't working for us, perhaps due to hardware, although tech support is calling it a firmware issue.

I mentioned to the tech support rep that someone else reported they were on 21.31.1 - and the answer I got was "that is an older release - 21.20.7 is the newest release". Which doesn't make sense since 31 > 20. However, it's possible there was a problem with the 31.1 release causing them to go back an earlier release.

Might be worthwhile to call PowerWall support and discuss the issue again...

If they think new firmware will fix it - then which version?

NOTE that we heard a similar message when we purchased our 2018 X. When Tesla first released the new console processor, it was incompatible with the original HPWCs (probably because the new processor was faster and the software driver was relying on the speed of the processor for timing of commands). I was told engineering was "working on a software update to fix the problem". Fortunately, they sent me a replacement HPWC because the promised software update didn't happen (at least not for months).

• Informative
Reactions: cali8484
Hmm... Something new tonight... Possibly due either to a brief power outage last night prior to the hurricane or having the TEG set to Storm Watch (even though the PowerWalls were offline).

3 of our 4 PowerWalls are now showing a flashing green vertical bar - flashing on an off slowly. The 4th PowerWall continues to be completely off - no status light.

Our Gateway appears to be down - can't connect using the Android app (new and old version) - can't connect to the TEG's web interface.

Tried pressing the reset button on the TEG - and that didn't do anything other than periodically make some sounds.

Appears that our TEG is completely down.

Tried calling Tesla - but was placed on infinity hold. Even though the message said "press 8 for callback" - it ignored my "8" keypresses.

The 3 PowerWalls are still flashing even without any solar power - and only connected to the grid.

In the morning, I plan to throw the breakers on the PowerWalls and solar panels and then the grid breaker on the TEG panel and wait for 5-10 minutes, and then see if I can get the TEG to come back online.

Haven't seen any status indicators on the PowerWalls since they went offline in August.

Somewhat concerned the 4th PowerWall isn't showing any activity. Since the installer's tech disconnected the CAN bus from all 4 PowerWalls, it's possible the CAN bus connection was not wired correctly. If the TEG doesn't come back online and 3 of the PowerWalls are still showing life, I'll try disconnecting the CAN bus on PW4 - and trying the sequence again, just in case that PW is preventing the TEG from running.

Anyone else see something like this???

Hmm... Something new tonight... Possibly due either to a brief power outage last night prior to the hurricane or having the TEG set to Storm Watch (even though the PowerWalls were offline).

3 of our 4 PowerWalls are now showing a flashing green vertical bar - flashing on an off slowly. The 4th PowerWall continues to be completely off - no status light.

Our Gateway appears to be down - can't connect using the Android app (new and old version) - can't connect to the TEG's web interface.

Tried pressing the reset button on the TEG - and that didn't do anything other than periodically make some sounds.

Appears that our TEG is completely down.

Tried calling Tesla - but was placed on infinity hold. Even though the message said "press 8 for callback" - it ignored my "8" keypresses.

The 3 PowerWalls are still flashing even without any solar power - and only connected to the grid.

In the morning, I plan to throw the breakers on the PowerWalls and solar panels and then the grid breaker on the TEG panel and wait for 5-10 minutes, and then see if I can get the TEG to come back online.

Haven't seen any status indicators on the PowerWalls since they went offline in August.

Somewhat concerned the 4th PowerWall isn't showing any activity. Since the installer's tech disconnected the CAN bus from all 4 PowerWalls, it's possible the CAN bus connection was not wired correctly. If the TEG doesn't come back online and 3 of the PowerWalls are still showing life, I'll try disconnecting the CAN bus on PW4 - and trying the sequence again, just in case that PW is preventing the TEG from running.

Anyone else see something like this???

Not seeing an outage, but, did get a firmware update a few hours ago... 21.31.2... Wonder if your outage coincided with an attempted firmware install?

This morning 3 of the 4 PowerWalls were still showing rapidly flashing green status lights. The 4th remained dark.

Went through the cold start sequence once, waiting for 1 minute while everything was off before restarting. TEG still didn't come back online - the status lights visible from the "reset" button hole stayed on the entire minute.

When through the cold start sequence a second time, waiting for 5 minutes. The TEG's interior status lights went off, indicating the TEG lost power completely.

When the TEG came back online, one of the 4 PowerWalls started showing a solid green status light, while two had rapidly flashing green status lights and the 4th remained dark.

Was able to get through to Tesla phone support - and was told "there is nothing you can do - the replacement part has been ordered (RMA) - and even if the PowerWalls were showing some life, they probably won't work or wouldn't work consistently". I was told that "due to the parts shortage" there isn't anything that can be done to get us the replacement motherboard or a replacement TEG any faster - and that we'll just have to wait.

After getting off the call, I decided to do a visual inspection of PowerWall 4's wiring connections and discovered the installer technician, after going through diagnostic tests with Tesla phone support and engineering, had forgotten to connect PW4 to the CAN bus. This not only left PW4 disconnected - it meant the CAN bus didn't have a terminator, which could impact communications with the other three PW.

I turned off the system, pushed in the connector and when I powered the system back up - all 4 PWs now show a solid status light.

The Tesla app is now showing 4 PWs are connected and still at 91% charge.

And after a few minutes, the solar panels and PowerWalls were back to working correctly (after being offline for almost a month - our electric bill jumped by 4X!).

I suspect we still have a failing TEG motherboard - and that the system could go back offline at any time. So we'll continue to wait for the MB replacement.

Only wish I'd been able to get this working on Monday - so that we would have had at least some confidence we'd have backup power when what was left of Hurricane Nicholas passed overhead Monday night...

We've been long-time Tesla customers - purchasing our first Model S in January 2013 - and this is the first time we've encountered a problem with what could be an open-ended wait for a replacement part. The pandemic, manufacturing, parts and shipping challenges are making it difficult for everyone, so Tesla isn't the only company having delays in getting parts or products to customers. But it is frustrating to have Tesla PowerWalls - purchased to provide backups during hurricanes - down for a month (or longer)...

At least it looks like the PowerWalls are working now...

This morning 3 of the 4 PowerWalls were still showing rapidly flashing green status lights. The 4th remained dark.

Went through the cold start sequence once, waiting for 1 minute while everything was off before restarting. TEG still didn't come back online - the status lights visible from the "reset" button hole stayed on the entire minute.

When through the cold start sequence a second time, waiting for 5 minutes. The TEG's interior status lights went off, indicating the TEG lost power completely.

When the TEG came back online, one of the 4 PowerWalls started showing a solid green status light, while two had rapidly flashing green status lights and the 4th remained dark.

Was able to get through to Tesla phone support - and was told "there is nothing you can do - the replacement part has been ordered (RMA) - and even if the PowerWalls were showing some life, they probably won't work or wouldn't work consistently". I was told that "due to the parts shortage" there isn't anything that can be done to get us the replacement motherboard or a replacement TEG any faster - and that we'll just have to wait.

After getting off the call, I decided to do a visual inspection of PowerWall 4's wiring connections and discovered the installer technician, after going through diagnostic tests with Tesla phone support and engineering, had forgotten to connect PW4 to the CAN bus. This not only left PW4 disconnected - it meant the CAN bus didn't have a terminator, which could impact communications with the other three PW.

I turned off the system, pushed in the connector and when I powered the system back up - all 4 PWs now show a solid status light.

And after a few minutes, the solar panels and PowerWalls were back to working correctly (after being offline for almost a month - our electric bill jumped by 4X!).

I suspect we still have a failing TEG motherboard - and that the system could go back offline at any time. So we'll continue to wait for the MB replacement.

Only wish I'd been able to get this working on Monday - so that we would have had at least some confidence we'd have backup power when what was left of Hurricane Nicholas passed overhead Monday night...

We've been long-time Tesla customers - purchasing our first Model S in January 2013 - and this is the first time we've encountered a problem with what could be an open-ended wait for a replacement part. The pandemic, manufacturing, parts and shipping challenges are making it difficult for everyone, so Tesla isn't the only company having delays in getting parts or products to customers. But it is frustrating to have Tesla PowerWalls - purchased to provide backups during hurricanes - down for a month (or longer)...

Thanks for the updates - been lurking and watching this with interest.

I'm surprised that there isn't better diagnostics for something as "simple" as a CAN bus terminator missing. That's a super easy thing to discover from the hardware side.

Hope things hold from you until replacement parts arrive!

Using the installer web interface, there is a diagnostic for CAN bus.

But that diagnostic didn't detect the CAN bus wasn't terminated - and was giving false readings that the PowerWalls weren't enabled.

Those diagnostics are useful in almost all cases. Ours was unusual because the CAN bus connections were removed for testing - and the tech just forgot to reconnect the last one in the chain.

And really can't fault the tech too much - he and the Tesla support/engineering people on the phone tried everything to get our PowerWalls back up - and diagnose the cause.

Using the installer web interface, there is a diagnostic for CAN bus.

But that diagnostic didn't detect the CAN bus wasn't terminated - and was giving false readings that the PowerWalls weren't enabled.

Those diagnostics are useful in almost all cases. Ours was unusual because the CAN bus connections were removed for testing - and the tech just forgot to reconnect the last one in the chain.

And really can't fault the tech too much - he and the Tesla support/engineering people on the phone tried everything to get our PowerWalls back up - and diagnose the cause.
Right - I know there are CAN bus diagnostics. Just surprised they didn't detect the missing terminator. Strikes me as something simple to detect but what do I know? :)

Any update?

My Powerwalls went off, flashing quickly for no apparent reason, so I was wondering if you had a fix.

All the best,

BG

I just heard back from Tier 2; they see no issues for an owner to have a non-functional reset switch. ("So, let me get this straight, you told Elon that you wanted to spend extra money on a switch that does absolutely nothing?" Yeah, right....)

You have to laugh sometimes.

All the best,

BG

The reset switch isn't that useful - when there's a problem, it's probably better to cut off the solar, PW and grid power for a few minutes to force the motherboard and related electronics to completely reset - and then boot back up first with grid, and then adding the PW and solar panels.

Though, it would be helpful if they could add a "restart gateway" function to the app and gateway web interface...

Tesla is probably facing the same supply issues as everyone else (and why companies should be seriously reconsidering their strategy of manufacturing offshore) - so losing a reset switch probably wouldn't be severe enough to impact the normal operations of the motherboard - and justify a board swap.

If we get the board swap in the next week or two, we should be OK. Until now, the system has operated without any problems.

But if we continue to see a long delay in getting the system fixed, we're concerned there could be permanent damage to the PowerWalls if they slowly lose charge and drop close to empty - and then sit there - something we've been told to avoid with our Tesla S & X vehicles...

The reset switch isn't that useful - when there's a problem, it's probably better to cut off the solar, PW and grid power for a few minutes to force the motherboard and related electronics to completely reset - and then boot back up first with grid, and then adding the PW and solar panels.

Though, it would be helpful if they could add a "restart gateway" function to the app and gateway web interface...

Tesla is probably facing the same supply issues as everyone else (and why companies should be seriously reconsidering their strategy of manufacturing offshore) - so losing a reset switch probably wouldn't be severe enough to impact the normal operations of the motherboard - and justify a board swap.

If we get the board swap in the next week or two, we should be OK. Until now, the system has operated without any problems.

But if we continue to see a long delay in getting the system fixed, we're concerned there could be permanent damage to the PowerWalls if they slowly lose charge and drop close to empty - and then sit there - something we've been told to avoid with our Tesla S & X vehicles...
>But if we continue to see a long delay in getting the system fixed, we're concerned there could be permanent damage to the PowerWalls if they slowly lose charge and drop close to empty - and then sit there - something we've been told to avoid with our Tesla S & X vehicles...

This is what I was afraid of as well (well, in addition to being without backup power) after my metering failed. Lithium batteries (of any chemistry) do not like to be deeply discharged - it shortens both their total capacity and useful life, and increases the likelihood of shorts and faults.

Google "Battery University" and read all about it.....

Fruicake

>But if we continue to see a long delay in getting the system fixed, we're concerned there could be permanent damage to the PowerWalls if they slowly lose charge and drop close to empty - and then sit there - something we've been told to avoid with our Tesla S & X vehicles...

This is what I was afraid of as well (well, in addition to being without backup power) after my metering failed. Lithium batteries (of any chemistry) do not like to be deeply discharged - it shortens both their total capacity and useful life, and increases the likelihood of shorts and faults.

Google "Battery University" and read all about it.....

Fruicake
What about turning them off until the issue is resolved? They should be able to keep a static charge for quite a while I would guess, just like they would in a warehouse.