Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwalls on Wi-Fi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should my powerwalls each connect to WiFi independently? Or just the gateway?

I believe on installation day I had 3 new devices connect to my network but right now I just have the gateway.

thanks!
Just one for the gateway regardless of how many Powerwalls you have.

You may see two if both WiFi and Ethernet are used to connect to your home network as the gateway supports both type of connections.

Just one for the gateway regardless of how many Powerwalls you have.

You may see two if both WiFi and Ethernet are used to connect to your home network as the gateway supports both type of connections.
You will see the local GW WiFi (the TEG network) of course, and the GW device on whichever network(s) they are on. Yeah, not sure how you’d scan wired and wifi at the same time.

Note the guaranteed way to tell the GW is hung is to not see the local TEG WiFi. Had to reset mine last week for some reason. It *might* have been when it loaded 1.41 or just a coincidence.

Makes sense, we used Ethernet to get it connected to Wi-Fi. So that explains two of the Mac addresses that popped up but not the third. I just assumed with 3 Mac addresses showing that it was my 2 powerwalls and the gateway. 2 of the Mac addresses had the same first 6 characters.

either way, thanks for confirming my powerwalls don’t need their own connection!

Reactions: boaterva
Makes sense, we used Ethernet to get it connected to Wi-Fi. So that explains two of the Mac addresses that popped up but not the third. I just assumed with 3 Mac addresses showing that it was my 2 powerwalls and the gateway. 2 of the Mac addresses had the same first 6 characters.

either way, thanks for confirming my powerwalls don’t need their own connection!
Note it’s really easier to use the built in wifi (TEG SID) and 192.168.91.1 IP to get to the GW to access it when it gets a new IP address or otherwise falls off the local (your) WiFi. Doc is at the link at the bottom of the app (PW page, firmware number). I use my phone browser to get to it easily as needed. You login there and reconnect the network to the local wifi.

• Helpful
Reactions: PBBear
Note it’s really easier to use the built in wifi (TEG SID) and 192.168.91.1 IP to get to the GW to access it when it gets a new IP address or otherwise falls off the local (your) WiFi. Doc is at the link at the bottom of the app (PW page, firmware number). I use my phone browser to get to it easily as needed. You login there and reconnect the network to the local wifi.
For 192.168.91.1. Is there a default userid/password?