Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF After 1 year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey y’all so I’ve had my model 3 for about a year or so with about 18k miles at first I didn’t think it would be necessary to get ppf. But now after about a year and a rough winter I was thinking about getting the paint correct and Xpel stealth ppf on the car. I plan on keeping the car for about 5-7 more years. Would it be worth it to get PPF installed this late? And what would the average cost be for paint correction and PPF? I was quoted by my local shop about $6,500, is that a good deal or should I look around?

Hey y’all so I’ve had my model 3 for about a year or so with about 18k miles at first I didn’t think it would be necessary to get ppf. But now after about a year and a rough winter I was thinking about getting the paint correct and Xpel stealth ppf on the car. I plan on keeping the car for about 5-7 more years. Would it be worth it to get PPF installed this late? And what would the average cost be for paint correction and PPF? I was quoted by my local shop about $6,500, is that a good deal or should I look around?

Depends on how good your paint is. $6500 is the high side of an install...I looked around and got a reputable shop to do it for $4500 (Suntek Reaction).

Upvote 0
Did you put PPF in your previous cars? PPF can only protect the paint surface from scratches , that's all. It Cannot withstand hard abrasion or any other impact. So it's a person preference as to whether 6.5K $ is worth it or not.

I've had PPF on my M3P for almost 4 years. It has saved me from a ton of rock chips and those hit pretty hard on my bumper. I also only put it on the front of my car and the rest of my car doesn't look as good so kinda regret not PPFing the whole thing. On the flip side, my wife's car I PPFed and it looks fantastic after 9 months and 2 crazy boys trying to scratch up the car. I will PPF my next car seeing the differences.

Upvote 0
I was able to PPF like 95% of my car for under $2k. The moment I got the car, It went straight home to the garage. Didnt drive it until at least the the front end had PPF. So far so good :). Drove it up to Norcal from Socal several times and no rock chips here. Also makes washing 100% easier.. (with the addition of ceramic of course). My uncle who got his Y roughly the same time as me, did not install PPF. under 2k miles later he has a few rock chips already.

Norcal pricing
Price to do the whole car yourself ~2k
Price to have someone do the front end only: ~2k
Price for the whole car was ~8k

Upvote 0
If you want to do PPF, at least make sure you do the full hood, dont do the partial.

If you are somewhat technical and have space, you can also give a shot at DIY. You can get a full 3M kit for the full front shipped to you for about 450-600. That is what I did. The T3M does not have many hard angles to get it done with acceptable to great results. The hood is relatively easy as its just one big piece.

Upvote 0
I did my front end as soon as I got my car. Headlights first which were super easy and then the hood which was pretty straight forward. I do recommend using installation gel over soapy water. It gives a lot more time to 'get it right'.

Upvote 0
Man the pricing for this has significantly gone up it seems.
I have a 2018 M3P and I had the entire front(fenders bumper, hood), A pillars up to the mid point of front window, mirrors, B pillars, sideskirts, 1/4 way up doors, and rear bumper done in Xpel I think was the brand done for only $2,500 by a shop in VA. They did a hell of a job too. Removed front emblem so it has no seams and everything. It's held up incredibly well over the years. No edges can be seen to this day, it's wrapped perfectly around the corners. I have zero rock chips on the car after almost 5 years, and only one little imperfection in the front bumper where the PPF got nicked but the paint didn't and I cut a pen tip size piece of it off so it wouldn't rip.

I think OP should definitely shop around. There are shops that do great work cheaper than those quotes. I didn't go to any hole in the wall shop either. The cars there when I arrived were all Porsches, Ferraris, Bentleys, Astons etc. I was definitely their poorest customer lmao.

Upvote 0
PPF can only protect the paint surface fromscratches , that's all. It Cannot withstand hard abrasion or any other impact.
Not true. Imagine two panels being hit by a rock. One has 8mil paint protection film and the other is bare. It's called paint "protection" film. If scratches and rock chips are not important, then neither is PPF.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This his one area Canadians finally have the advantage. (Just one lol)

Entire car 4.2k cnd or 3k usd. Expel ultimate.
Or Entire front hood, fenders, lights, bumper. Side mirrors, side rocker panels up 6” on door…2k cnd. (1.6k usd).

All Reputable shops in Toronto.
The material is the same cost so I imagine the US installers are gouging like mofo’s and charging what you’d pay a lawyer per hour. Crazy. It’s cheap material. Labour should not be $4/5000.

If anyone lives in the North east and willing to drive to Toronto for a few days, ie.from buffalo or detroit, it may be worth it lol

Upvote 0
I was able to PPF like 95% of my car for under $2k. The moment I got the car, It went straight home to the garage. Didnt drive it until at least the the front end had PPF. So far so good :). Drove it up to Norcal from Socal several times and no rock chips here. Also makes washing 100% easier.. (with the addition of ceramic of course). My uncle who got his Y roughly the same time as me, did not install PPF. under 2k miles later he has a few rock chips already.

Norcal pricing
Price to do the whole car yourself ~2k
Price to have someone do the front end only: ~2k
Price for the whole car was ~8k
Which company did you go with? We have a new MY and would like to protect it because our 5 year old M3 is chipped up in the front! I have several quotes ranging from $4500 to $6600 just for the PPF....So frustrating because it's so expensive!!!

Upvote 0
Man the pricing for this has significantly gone up it seems.
I have a 2018 M3P and I had the entire front(fenders bumper, hood), A pillars up to the mid point of front window, mirrors, B pillars, sideskirts, 1/4 way up doors, and rear bumper done in Xpel I think was the brand done for only $2,500 by a shop in VA. They did a hell of a job too. Removed front emblem so it has no seams and everything. It's held up incredibly well over the years. No edges can be seen to this day, it's wrapped perfectly around the corners. I have zero rock chips on the car after almost 5 years, and only one little imperfection in the front bumper where the PPF got nicked but the paint didn't and I cut a pen tip size piece of it off so it wouldn't rip.

I think OP should definitely shop around. There are shops that do great work cheaper than those quotes. I didn't go to any hole in the wall shop either. The cars there when I arrived were all Porsches, Ferraris, Bentleys, Astons etc. I was definitely their poorest customer lmao.
What is the price of a Model 3 now at the same shop? It would be interesting to compare...

Upvote 0
This his one area Canadians finally have the advantage. (Just one lol)

Entire car 4.2k cnd or 3k usd. Expel ultimate.
Or Entire front hood, fenders, lights, bumper. Side mirrors, side rocker panels up 6” on door…2k cnd. (1.6k usd).

All Reputable shops in Toronto.
The material is the same cost so I imagine the US installers are gouging like mofo’s and charging what you’d pay a lawyer per hour. Crazy. It’s cheap material. Labour should not be $4/5000.

If anyone lives in the North east and willing to drive to Toronto for a few days, ie.from buffalo or detroit, it may be worth it lol
That's crazy!!! Price gouging is crazy here.... I'm in California and now that the MY has dropped in price this is very upsetting to me...

Reactions: Destiny1701
Upvote 0
That's crazy!!! Price gouging is crazy here.... I'm in California and now that the MY has dropped in price this is very upsetting to me...
The price of a MSLR has dropped $15,000 since I bought in Feb 2022. That's how it goes. Teslas were always planned to come down in price. I am not upset. I am driving the best car I've had in 45 years. Better than the two Corvettes I've owned. But I digress, this thread is about PPF. You can do PPF yourself. I did my whole car about 14 months ago. It was a fun challenge. I learned a lot, gained new skills and bought new tools. The film is doing its job and still looks great.

Last edited:
Reactions: gaswalla
Upvote 0
The price of a MSLR has dropped $15,000 since I bought in Feb 2022. That's how it goes. Teslas were always planned to come down in price. I am not upset. I am driving the best car I've had in 45 years. Better than the two Corvettes I've owned. But I digress, this thread is about PPF. You can do PPF yourself. I did my whole car about 14 months ago. It was a fun challenge. I learned a lot, gained new skills and bought new tools. The film is doing its job and still looks great.
Where did you order the film from?

Upvote 0
Where did you order the film from?
I bought Xpel precut patterns From Chris Rennison of Renoson Industries in Canada. I did not want the precut for the rear hatch. It has a seam right on the rear crest, so I bought bulk for the hatch. I talked with Chris several times via WhatsApp. Before cutting the patterns he extended all the edges that could be wrapped. Very nice guy and willing to do what it takes to do good business. He gave me an extra side mirror set to practice on. I documented my work: DIY PPF on 2022 Blue Model S

Last edited:
Reactions: wildguess
Upvote 0
Just do DIY impact area PPF:

Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
What is the price of a Model 3 now at the same shop? It would be interesting to compare...
I moved down to key west, so I’m not sure what the shop would charge nowadays. However I highly recommend anybody even remotely close to the Richmond VA area to hit them up if you need work done. They’re incredibly good at what they do, and the pricing always seemed fair. The shop was called Capital Autobahnd. And no I’m not affiliated, just a guy who has appreciated their work and spent some coin there.

• Helpful
Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
have you tried to get a quote for full re-spray?! I would not be surprised that you can fully respray car in like 5 years for less that PPF..... within the time it most probably still look like new anyway..

Last edited:
Upvote 0