Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF and Ceramic coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Puuked the trigger and put money down on a dual motor non performance so now I start the grueling wait! I started looking into getting PPF and possibly a ceramic coating. Called a couple of shops that had good reviews, displayed their work etc and was shocked and the difference between two. I was wondering if anyone who has had this done could lend some advice. Both bids were to completely cover the hood, front bumper, fender, head lights, fog lights , mirror caps, rocker panels and rear wheel impact areas.

One was using Stek dynoshield with a 10 yr warranty and c quartz and they wanted $2300.
The other is using Xpel and Opti-Coat and they were at $4900.

Are the materials for the second one $2600 better or is one of the bids way to high to low and too good to be true. Never done anything like this before and was just looking for some feed back. Thanks!

It’s all about location and quality of work. Where are you located?
I am in the St. Louis area. Both shops seem very reputable from what I can tell. I want to go by and see each one but from what I can tell both have been around awhile and have a good history. Just can’t believe one is that much more so I was sure if one set of materials was that much less/poor quality or if one marked it up that much more.

I have had both films on various car ..my last one in Xpel ..my new X is using STEK ...imo the STEK is a better film they don’t spam the boards with marketing but it’s a glossier film for ceramics I had previously used opticoat ..first S ..second S has cquartz and now using ceramic pro..

I ha md heard Stek was a newer company so there isn’t the track record there. You have not seen any type of degrigation in the film? Can I ask why you moved from cquartz to ceramic pro? Where you not happy with the cquartz or would you stilll remcommend it. Thanks everyone fo the replies and info.

STEK as a company has been around as long as others ..they just don’t market like crazy ..cquartz is good ceramic as are others ...I found opticoat not as shiny as the newer coatings ..I just wanted to try new ceramic ..mine has four coats and I do monthly maintenance using hydro silex if you want the best ceramic u can’t go wrong with modesta it just costs double others :(...STEK has a few pics here on the vendor sub forum check out the pics you can see the glossiness ...if u want the best film IMo it’s Clearguard Nano but also comes at higher premium ..what comes down to is installed and prep

Stek PPF is from South Korea, their product's definitely cheaper so it would make sense your quote for it is cheaper. With that said, the XPEL quote you got is on the high end. For $5k you can often get your full car wrapped in XPEL Ultimate.

I have no experience with Stek but some reviews indicate if you live in places with Florida weather, the hydrophobic properties of Stek PPF won't hold up well.

Are the materials for the second one $2600 better or is one of the bids way to high to low and too good to be true. Never done anything like this before and was just looking for some feed back. Thanks!

Other than the materials, another difference might be if they are doing a "kit" install or a "custom" install on the film. Kits are pre-cut and you will end up with visible edges as they don't wrap around the corners on the panels. Custom is where the pieces are cut to fit and they wrap around the edges of panels to minimize visible seams as much as possible. Custom installs cost more than kit installs.

Also make sure both quotes include paint correction.

Lol not sure where u get that from ...You have actual experience using on your car ??

I think you misunderstood what I said. I don't mean the product's cheaper as in it's bad or the quality is bad, I meant the price/cost of the film is cheaper. You ask any detailer their cost to purchase Stek PPF from South Korea, they'll tell you it's cheaper to buy them than XPEL.

Reactions: P85_DA
I think you misunderstood what I said. I don't mean the product's cheaper as in it's bad or the quality is bad, I meant the price/cost of the film is cheaper. You ask any detailer their cost to purchase Stek PPF from South Korea, they'll tell you it's cheaper to buy them than XPEL.

Thanks for clarification ..I think as others have said end of day comes down to installer and prep

• Informative
Reactions: dek526
Both bids included paint correction and prep but will need to ask try if it’s custom or kit? If it is a kit are the lines very noticeable. As far as Stek’s hydrophobic propertied wouldn’t that not be much of a concern because I would be getting the coating over the PPF? Thanks again everyone, leantif so much through the board. Everyday I read it it mkes the wait that much more painful. Maybe I just need to stay off here and try to forget about the car completely!