Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF and Ceramic coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had my new Model 3 full covered in PPF and I'm now thinking about have a ceramic coat added to give it extra protection and for cleaning purposes.

Has anyone else done this and what were your experiences both good and bad?

Yup. Good stuff. But does not offer any protection from impacts. Does shield PPF from staining from nasties like bird poop. Mostly good for ease of cleaning and hydrophobic aspects.

We have ceramic on top of wife’s MYP and my Plaid. Her car has full Xpel Ultimata PPF and mine Stealth.

Makes red on hers deeper and makes mine look less ‘wrappy’. Both look awesome and are a breeze to clean.

C93DF7FF-91C1-4F6D-BD50-492B3F534B2A.jpeg
19B5FAF7-B3FB-4D0A-9D7A-A61405CEBC02.jpeg
79DE59E1-3311-4E10-B415-702FA6974E98.jpeg

Last edited:
I recently had my new Model 3 full covered in PPF and I'm now thinking about have a ceramic coat added to give it extra protection and for cleaning purposes.

Has anyone else done this and what were your experiences both good and bad?
I had Gtechniq HALO ceramic applied to mine a couple of years ago. Still looks very good and helps the cleaning. PPF can look a little less shiny than a paint surface but the ceramic sorts that. Protection wise it might help a little bit but it's the PPF which does most of that. Interestingly the HALO coating doesn't seem to affect the self-healing properties of the PPF and any light scratching still disappears. If anything I have noticed the shine and water beading lessen slightly over the two years, but that's to be expected. Re-application is possible.

Erm, isn't the PPF the protection? Not really sure what ceramic will bring to the party protection wise that the PPF doesn't already provide. Sounds like protection for the protection and is certainly not going to give any additional stone chip protection that the PPF won't self heal...

We had ceramic coating done, but I wouldn't bother again. although not convinced that our ceramic was particularly good, albeit professionally applied along with paint correction. I top it up with a spray on hydrophobic coating (of which there seems to be many choices) which seems to last for ages, even on the glass which was not ceramic coated. Its probably 4-5 months since our car has had a wash and it has literally just lost its water beading property. Probably time for a wash...

Reactions: WannabeOwner