Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF and Ceramic Coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did it ALL for my M3LRAWD. PPF for the full frontal. PPF on the lip of the rear bumper to protect the paint when removing heavy stuff from the trunk. Keramic coating for the rest of the paint and tinting. I used the Detailing Shop up in Newmarket. Yhey have been around for over 20 years and have done all my vehicles.

I have stealth PPF full body on my X and had ceramic put on top. In my opinion, there is no addition protection given by the ceramic but it just makes it look nicer. The water beading is so nice in the rain.

I was hoping that the road dirt would just spray off using a hose with the ceramic but it does not make much of a difference that way. Make sure the installer gives you the ceramic recharge spray as you will need to reapply every 6 months at least.

If I was doing it again, I would do the ceramic coating myself as soon as i got home with the PPF installed (while it is still very clean). At the end of the day ceramic just replaces frequent waxing, in my opinion.

Had a full front PPF and ceramic coat applied a week ago to my Y LR. Great job by Luxus Auto Detailing in Orleans (Ottawa)

B6B70881-4344-44B7-A322-133CB17E86E7.jpeg

Reactions: BratuS
I'd certainly wish I'd had self healing PPF on the front, it stone chips easily. Ceramic coating I'm less convinced about whether it provides much protection or just makes you think it does when it's easier to clean. As for ceramic coating on top of a self healing film, I'm not sure what you'd be trying to achieve, the PPF is already far superior to preventing damage than the ceramic coating.

Ceramic coating is not intended to protect form physical damage. It is a nano coating that binds to the surface. Think of it as a replacement for periodic waxing. Gives the surface a nice deep shine, beads water and the protection from UV damage. It will not help at all with stone chips - that is what the PPF is for. So the two (PPF & ceramic) are complimentary to each other.

My only note is that it is not that difficult to apply the ceramic yourself but it requires a perfectly clean and prepped surface, which is what you will have when the PPF is applied.

Reactions: SETautocare