Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF and frunk badge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
Hi,

Bit of a specific one this. Took my car in to get detailed today (and picked up some bread on the way back) and the detailer asked me if I wanted him to cut around the badge on the bonnet, or remove it. He said he didn't have any double sided tape thin enough to re-attach it and have it look OEM.

He said his last Model 3 customer actually supplied a replacement badge (apparently ~£100 from Tesla!).

I guess what I'm asking is, those who have had their Model 3 PPF'd - what did you do?

Thanks in advance. :)

• Love
Reactions: MDABC
It depends if they have a template for the Model 3, I had another car done last year and the template cut round a row of letters on the bonnet. Mine was an Xpel one and they also have a template for the Model 3, so if they are using Xpel it should be fine.

I believe part of the issue is that the badge is so thin and can easily become warped when removing. Especially the upper section of the logo.

The positioning is tricky too with no placement holes (unlike the Y) so they would need to create a template.

I'm sure it can be done with caution but imagine the detailer probably just wants to highlight in advance any areas that may prove difficult so they're not out of pocket by £100.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Surprised he asked! I’d be suggesting he ensure he has the materials needed to do a proper job :confused:
Meh, he's done several cars of mine and I trust his workmanship implicitly. I can sort the badge at a later date, I just bought myself some thin double sided tape to do it.

If he knackers the badge then I'll have to buy a new one. I'd rather the wrap (yes, XPEL) covers the whole bonnet rather than being cut around the badge.

Meh, he's done several cars of mine and I trust his workmanship implicitly. I can sort the badge at a later date, I just bought myself some thin double sided tape to do it.

If he knackers the badge then I'll have to buy a new one. I'd rather the wrap (yes, XPEL) covers the whole bonnet rather than being cut around the badge.

Fair enough, makes sense! I’ve not had any car PPF’d to date, was toying with the idea of getting the M3 done, so good to know what to expect I guess :)