Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF and Tint Cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are people paying for PPF and tint. I found a high quality place here in central Florida but wow is it expensive.

$800 for all around tint, including the windshield and then $2000!!!! To do the front half of the car.

What are the folks on the west coast paying, also this car will never be worth more that it is the day before you take delivery - it is a depreciating asset and I probably will not keep it for more than 3 or 4 years. Is PPF really necessary?

I am in Florida so I do consider tint a necessity for the heat.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

PPF necessary?? I used to think it was and that I would recover part of the cost on resale but I can tell you I never received anything extra for having PPF nor has anyone tried to discount their offer because of no PPF. It really is a personal preference and in certain conditions PPF can get dings too.

What are people paying for PPF and tint. I found a high quality place here in central Florida but wow is it expensive.

$800 for all around tint, including the windshield and then $2000!!!! To do the front half of the car.

What are the folks on the west coast paying, also this car will never be worth more that it is the day before you take delivery - it is a depreciating asset and I probably will not keep it for more than 3 or 4 years. Is PPF really necessary?

I paid $7,200 and had mine done in Portland OR. Full PPF (so every painted surface), 20% front side window, 70% windshield, and 70% rear window tint. Ceramic coating on top of the paint, windshield, and interior. It’s worth it to me. This protects against rock chips and sand blasting the front end and allows me to be slightly more lazy with cleaning. I still am gentle but this should protect against light swirling that always seems to happen when washing.

Picked up our MY this morning in Denver. tint on front windows to match the rear, Xpel with 10 year warranty on full bumper, full hood wrapped, A-pillars, mirror, headlights, fog lights, and door handles, $1850. Of the places I checked in Denver this was the most competitive price with the highest reviews.

Picked up our MY this morning in Denver. tint on front windows to match the rear, Xpel with 10 year warranty on full bumper, full hood wrapped, A-pillars, mirror, headlights, fog lights, and door handles, $1850. Of the places I checked in Denver this was the most competitive price with the highest reviews.
$1750 for full front end PPF and $100 for the two front windows, so $1850 for me also.

That is an awesome price. The other windows in the car are what is called privacy glass, so still really hot, so here we have to tint all for the windows to reject the heat. So there is where the $800 for tine comes in and then $2000 for the PPF, learning that is too much money to spend.

That is an awesome price. The other windows in the car are what is called privacy glass, so still really hot, so here we have to tint all for the windows to reject the heat. So there is where the $800 for tine comes in and then $2000 for the PPF, learning that is too much money to spend.

For reference, for $2675 the same shop will do the following PPF:

Front Bumper
· Headlamps and Fog Lamps
· Full Hood and Full Fenders
· A-Pillars and Roof Strip
· Lower Door Strip and Rocker Panels
· Lower Rear Bumper Impact Areas
· Side Mirrors and Door Cups
· Price: $2,675

$2K for just the front end seems high.

Your best bang for the buck would be to PPF just the front bumper area since you will get visible rock damage over time. Whether you have PPF or not, you will still see the areas impacted by rocks and debris. The only difference is hopefully the paint is protected by the PPF. Under normal driving and wear and tear, you never recover your money from the PPF. The only time I have ever had a dealer ding me for excessive wear and tear on a car was a lease turn in on a BMW. At the time I decided to walk away from the lease and not purchase or lease a new BMW. I guess that was their way of punishing me. Have not been to a BMW dealership since then.

I acknowledge that PPF is a depreciating cost you will never recoup. I can’t even guarantee that anyone will care when you go to sell your car. For me it came down to having the car look as good as possible all the time and keeping it protected. There is no question that it will help protect against scratches, rocks, etc. yes, you could take the money you saved and go paint the part but I don’t want to have to. I did full PPF on my M3P and just finished it on the MY. $4500 for the entire car. I paid another $3500 to have it wrapped with a custom color. Tint was $650 to do all windows. I absolutely love it and to me it was worth it. To some, it may not be worth it. Just depends on money and how you feel personally about the car. That’s not even counting the ceramic coating I added. To each his own.

I acknowledge that PPF is a depreciating cost you will never recoup. I can’t even guarantee that anyone will care when you go to sell your car. For me it came down to having the car look as good as possible all the time and keeping it protected. There is no question that it will help protect against scratches, rocks, etc. yes, you could take the money you saved and go paint the part but I don’t want to have to. I did full PPF on my M3P and just finished it on the MY. $4500 for the entire car. I paid another $3500 to have it wrapped with a custom color. Tint was $650 to do all windows. I absolutely love it and to me it was worth it. To some, it may not be worth it. Just depends on money and how you feel personally about the car. That’s not even counting the ceramic coating I added. To each his own.

$650 for all windows is a steal in CA. Where did you do it? I am in L.A area.

The quote sounds about right for a quality job. PPF application is still more of an art than a science, so you're very much reliant upon the skill of the installer. The cheap quotes use pre-cut sheets which don't wrap around the edges and will have an unsightly dirt line. So be sure to see actual examples of cars the installation person has done. Note that full PPF will save your car a lot more then a front-only application. In the years I've had full PPF, the real savings is when a car doesn't quite make it during parking and leaves it's paint on your car. With full PPF you just use some bug and tar remover to fix.

If you are not going to keep the car for a long time, I wouldn't bother. (I kept the 2013 S for seven years/130K miles before getting an X). The rule of thumb I use is that if it's less than sales tax it's worth looking into. More than sales tax is too expensive for any particular car.