Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF and trade in to Tesla?

quantoc

Mar 30, 2021
Denver
I’m planning on ordering a Y in the near future, which will be my first Tesla. Hypothetically speaking, in 2-3 years the new battery Tech is available, and I decide to Trade it in to Tesla. Will I get any monetary Return on the PPF at Trade in?

Assumptions:
1. I can live with the inevitable paint chips without PPF. (I’m still considering this question)
2. I forego selling privately, and trade it in or use Carmax like service.

Basically, Tesla doesn’t seem to have super high standards for their new vehicles. Does that same inattention to detail extend to trade ins? Do they penalize you for their paint issues?

I did a search and didn’t see a similar thread. Apologies if I missed.
Thanks

fiehlsport

Jul 30, 2020
Binghamton, NY
No, Tesla doesn't even look at most trade-ins. They didn't even acknowledge mine in the parking lot, I just handed them the keys in the office and picked up my new car. You get the price on their calculator, sight unseen. Chips, cleanliness, curbed wheels - none of it matters. You can even trade-in and keep your floor mats, mobile EVSE, everything.

*This is all in my personal experience from early 2019 - may vary by region, but I haven't heard otherwise*

I wouldn't recommend going crazy on PPF or coatings or anything like that. It won't be treated any differently.

acarney

Jul 9, 2019
Richland, WA
I’m planning on ordering a Y in the near future, which will be my first Tesla. Hypothetically speaking, in 2-3 years the new battery Tech is available, and I decide to Trade it in to Tesla. Will I get any monetary Return on the PPF at Trade in?

Assumptions:
1. I can live with the inevitable paint chips without PPF. (I’m still considering this question)
2. I forego selling privately, and trade it in or use Carmax like service.

Basically, Tesla doesn’t seem to have super high standards for their new vehicles. Does that same inattention to detail extend to trade ins? Do they penalize you for their paint issues?

I did a search and didn’t see a similar thread. Apologies if I missed.
Thanks

NO

Tesla hardly gives you your "monetary return" on the vehicle it's self. They are NOT in the business of taking trades and selling them like most dealers. These cars are usually shuffled off to auction or a 3rd party to list and then sell through Tesla. You'll likely get a horrible offer from them, but there is the ease of use of driving your existing car to them, signing papers, and driving away with the new car, plus if your state allows, a tax break through the trade.

I believe Tesla usually just goes by KBB or someone's standard on "good", "fair", etc condition. A few rock chips probably won't hurt trade in value, especially if you get a paint touch up kit and go over them. I haven't personally done it, but I think Tesla "glances" at the vehicles and just makes sure they're in the working condition you describe and don't have big dents or large (multi inch) scratches.

CarMax is almost worse then Tesla. I had full paint protection film on the front of my vehicle and only 7,000 miles after 1 year and CarMax mentioned the whole front end would need to be repainted because they saw dead bugs (I live 150 miles away from CarMax) on the front and thought they were rock chips. After I pointed out those were bugs, they just said "well, even if we had to repaint, it doesn't change the quote at all, we paint in house." So..... they either don't care about things like rock chips, or they just already factor in refurbishment costs into their quotes.

Private sale is going to be the best, other then that it'll be luck of the draw with CarMax, Vroom, or Carvana. Right now values are high, but I think that's likely because Tesla is still "hot." A few years from now if anyone can walk into a Tesla store and get a brand new model in a day, and loads of used Model 3 and Y's are on the market, I expect the value will fall in line with anything else in that price range; it'll tank the first year or two and then level off for a few years.

Edit: If you want any protection, JUST get the front bumper done, not the hood or sides or anything else. I can't imagine that would be more than maybe $500 to $600 and it'll keep the car looking nice for you. 100% you'll then get a rock chip on the hood just past the PPF because that's how the universe works, but at least the largest area that's likely to get rock chips will be covered for the minimum cost.

UT4EVER

Jun 22, 2020
Georgia
NO

Tesla hardly gives you your "monetary return" on the vehicle it's self. They are NOT in the business of taking trades and selling them like most dealers. These cars are usually shuffled off to auction or a 3rd party to list and then sell through Tesla. You'll likely get a horrible offer from them, but there is the ease of use of driving your existing car to them, signing papers, and driving away with the new car, plus if your state allows, a tax break through the trade.

I believe Tesla usually just goes by KBB or someone's standard on "good", "fair", etc condition. A few rock chips probably won't hurt trade in value, especially if you get a paint touch up kit and go over them. I haven't personally done it, but I think Tesla "glances" at the vehicles and just makes sure they're in the working condition you describe and don't have big dents or large (multi inch) scratches.

CarMax is almost worse then Tesla. I had full paint protection film on the front of my vehicle and only 7,000 miles after 1 year and CarMax mentioned the whole front end would need to be repainted because they saw dead bugs (I live 150 miles away from CarMax) on the front and thought they were rock chips. After I pointed out those were bugs, they just said "well, even if we had to repaint, it doesn't change the quote at all, we paint in house." So..... they either don't care about things like rock chips, or they just already factor in refurbishment costs into their quotes.

Private sale is going to be the best, other then that it'll be luck of the draw with CarMax, Vroom, or Carvana. Right now values are high, but I think that's likely because Tesla is still "hot." A few years from now if anyone can walk into a Tesla store and get a brand new model in a day, and loads of used Model 3 and Y's are on the market, I expect the value will fall in line with anything else in that price range; it'll tank the first year or two and then level off for a few years.

Edit: If you want any protection, JUST get the front bumper done, not the hood or sides or anything else. I can't imagine that would be more than maybe $500 to $600 and it'll keep the car looking nice for you. 100% you'll then get a rock chip on the hood just past the PPF because that's how the universe works, but at least the largest area that's likely to get rock chips will be covered for the minimum cost.

I agree. I just got my second MY and I had XPEL put on the front bumper and the lower sides. My first MY has nothing and there are lots of tiny paint chips on the lower rear side and a few on the bumper. It cost me $650 for the bumper and $350 for the sides.....

Mr. Wonderful

Apr 19, 2021
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Most options you put on a car are for your enjoyment.
Expecting to get extra for them is not going to happen (in most cases).
You will NEVER get your money you paid for PPF back.
More likely you'd get additional sale value on a foreign expensive import.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC