Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF and X Surface areas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My X should arrive towards the end of this year. In the meantime....I'm a believer in PPF however can I get some feedback from existing X owners in regards to the surface areas where PPF is crucial?
I am already going to do the following front end bumper, hood or partial hood, mirror caps, spoiler, trunk bumper area.

Any other areas where the PPF is needed for protection?

Thankyou in advance,

Irvine, Calif

I did my march delivery MX plaid, PPF on front, bumper, hood, mirrors, a pillars, driver and passenger doors. i was concerned about door dings from auto open. I haven't noticed any obvious dings prevented yet. I do find the ceramic I put on entire car to be more helpful when i wash the car its a lot easier.

Reactions: Jono89
My X should arrive towards the end of this year. In the meantime....I'm a believer in PPF however can I get some feedback from existing X owners in regards to the surface areas where PPF is crucial?
I am already going to do the following front end bumper, hood or partial hood, mirror caps, spoiler, trunk bumper area.

Any other areas where the PPF is needed for protection?

Thankyou in advance,

Irvine, Calif
What's the name of the shop you are planning on taking it too? Do they do ceramic coating?

I took delivery of my 2022 MXP in late April. SunTek Ultra PPF full front end (headlights, fog lights, front bumper, full hood, full fenders, and mirrors). Modesta ceramic coating on top of the PPF (and remainder of vehicle). One month in and I have my first small rock chip and scratch on the rear fender near brake light. Black car. Makes me wish I did the entire vehicle in PPF. But alas its a car and not a museum piece. Point being, I am SO HAPPY I did do the partial PPF.

As for the small rock chip, I just ordered the paint repair kit from Tesla after researching drcolorchip and related products. I am a bit apprehensive to DIY the repair however my research revealed it *should* be ok despite the ceramic coating. But I need to know one way or the other, as I doubt this will be last small chip.

I was only going to do Modesta ceramic not PPF (never had a car with PPF). My detailer strenuously suggested it because my car is black (and he had previously performed a ceramic job on my two prior vehicles). Now that I have my first chip (in a non-PPF area of course), I want to send him a bottle of wine as a thank you. Makes me wonder how many chips I would be getting in the front without PPF.

Finally, if you do PPF on the hood, I would suggest full hood - not partial. I am not sure if you would see a dividing line, but that would bother me. I cannot imagine it would be that much more expensive to do the full hood. And if you wash your car by hand, absolutely consider ceramic for the entire vehicle on top of the PPF. Makes washing SO easy.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do.