Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF By Rear Wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the front mudguards for my new MY, and would like to add the PPF by the rear wheels as soon as I can. The Tesla Shop seems to be out of them for now, and the cost is $50, so I'm thinking of buying a small roll of the 3M film & cutting out my own pieces.

I have no experience with this film at all, so this may be a silly question, but is this as easy as cutting the pieces out with scissors, a razor knife, etc., or does this stuff need to be die cut, laser cut, or whatever in order to get smooth edges? They look to be a simple shape of a straight line at the lower edge, and 2 circular arcs; probably easy to make a cutting template.

rearppf.jpg

Reactions: D-Lectric
I got the front mudguards for my new MY, and would like to add the PPF by the rear wheels as soon as I can. The Tesla Shop seems to be out of them for now, and the cost is $50, so I'm thinking of buying a small roll of the 3M film & cutting out my own pieces.

I have no experience with this film at all, so this may be a silly question, but is this as easy as cutting the pieces out with scissors, a razor knife, etc., or does this stuff need to be die cut, laser cut, or whatever in order to get smooth edges? They look to be a simple shape of a straight line at the lower edge, and 2 circular arcs; probably easy to make a cutting template.

View attachment 710021
It should not be hard. Cut one test fit but don't peel. Use something to make your cuts with a razor, think crafts. The only cut that really matters is the visible edge, the others can be wider and you'll roll those edges behind the door skin. Once ok, use that piece as a template for other side. I've been meaning to do this too. I've got the front PPF'd. It's also got mud flaps but still ended up getting a couple small chips. Now I'll have to get some touch up paint before the film ugh.

Mine came with the Tesla PPF, but if it hadn't I would have preferred to do the whole rear door to avoid having a visible transition between the PPF covered area and the bare paint area. Since it was already done I will live with it "as is" but if I were going to the trouble of doing it myself I would either do from the door crease down, or the whole door.

Keith

View attachment 710021
I want to do the same thing when the MY arrives. Does anyone know dimensions of the PPF? I want to make it close to the same size as the Tesla version.

I got mine from Abstract Ocean too. They were out of stock for a little but if sign up for in-stock notifications, it shouldn't take too long to get one. I think it'll still be faster than trying to get one from Tesla.