Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF/Ceramic Coating and Outdoor Car Cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DMateo

Jul 18, 2021
US
With my MYP hopefully arriving in the next 2 weeks, I've already scheduled Xpel PPF on the whole car with Ceramic Coating inside and out (including suspension).

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of having a covered parking/garage where I live.

For those of you with knowledge on the topic, do you recommend getting an outdoor car cover and if so, is there one you recommend? I've heard some horror stories about moisture build up/paint blemishes after outdoor car cover usage. My first thought is that the car should be adequately protected with both PPF/Ceramic Coating, but having the car cover should help.

My other fear is the car cover impacting the ppf/ceramic coat, although I think that's highly unlikely.

Appreciate the feedback in advance, thanks!

I personally think a cover is overkill. I also park outside but I would hate the inconvenience of having to remove and replace the cover each time I want to use the car. I went with full front PPF and ceramic coating and that seems to be working fine. I keep a bottle of detailer and some mf towels in the car to remove dust every once in a while. Just avoid parking under trees if possible.

Reactions: DMateo and Meteile
I personally think a cover is overkill. I also park outside but I would hate the inconvenience of having to remove and replace the cover each time I want to use the car. I went with full front PPF and ceramic coating and that seems to be working fine. I keep a bottle of detailer and some mf towels in the car to remove dust every once in a while. Just avoid parking under trees if possible.
Depends where the driveway is too! We've got a ton of pines around so sap will probably do some damage. But noted, does the ceramic coat help?

With my MYP hopefully arriving in the next 2 weeks, I've already scheduled Xpel PPF on the whole car with Ceramic Coating inside and out (including suspension).

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of having a covered parking/garage where I live.

For those of you with knowledge on the topic, do you recommend getting an outdoor car cover and if so, is there one you recommend? I've heard some horror stories about moisture build up/paint blemishes after outdoor car cover usage. My first thought is that the car should be adequately protected with both PPF/Ceramic Coating, but having the car cover should help.

My other fear is the car cover impacting the ppf/ceramic coat, although I think that's highly unlikely.

Appreciate the feedback in advance, thanks!
Dude, that is over the top. You're already PPF'ing the whole car. That kind of renders the car cover moot. Also, it's gets tiresome and annoying applying and removing a car cover everyday... And the PPF is there to take any damage from simple scuffs, dings etc. Let it do it's job.

I'm curious though, you are having the shop do the suspension too? I don't know if that's worth it since ceramic isn't that tough.

Dude, that is over the top. You're already PPF'ing the whole car. That kind of renders the car cover moot. Also, it's gets tiresome and annoying applying and removing a car cover everyday... And the PPF is there to take any damage from simple scuffs, dings etc. Let it do it's job.

I'm curious though, you are having the shop do the suspension too? I don't know if that's worth it since ceramic isn't that tough.
I've never heard of ceramic coat on a suspension, but I can't imagine it being useful.

The car cover might be, though. Direct sunlight can be really hard on the interior and all the trim, even with good protection. I've done that with a previous car when I was leaving it for more than a day.

Depends where the driveway is too! We've got a ton of pines around so sap will probably do some damage. But noted, does the ceramic coat help?
The ceramic coating makes the car look glossier and makes it easier to clean but it doesn't help keep it clean for any longer. I have a tree near my driveway that will occasionally drop some sap on the car. Even with the coating and the right chemicals, the sap is always difficult to remove.

I've never heard of ceramic coat on a suspension, but I can't imagine it being useful.

The car cover might be, though. Direct sunlight can be really hard on the interior and all the trim, even with good protection. I've done that with a previous car when I was leaving it for more than a day.
No doubt a cover is better longterm but it's another thing to cover and uncover it every single day. I have a cover for one of my cars but it's not great to use everyday either. After a while the car just being out collects a lot of dirt and thus the cover collects all that crud on the inside from being used. We each have different levels of annoyance we're willing to endure, shrugs...

Reactions: jsight
No doubt a cover is better longterm but it's another thing to cover and uncover it every single day. I have a cover for one of my cars but it's not great to use everyday either. After a while the car just being out collects a lot of dirt and thus the cover collects all that crud on the inside from being used. We each have different levels of annoyance we're willing to endure, shrugs...
After giving it some thought and after reading some of the other posts, I decided not to go with a car cover.

The PPF/ceramic coat is essentially like a permanent car cover anyway and it's just too much of a PITA to take on and off constantly. In any case, just picked her up today, very excited!