Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF, Ceramic Coating, Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
and the next day, you get another chip in your new paint. What are you going to do? Keep repainting? Work on your retouching technique for every chip? Buy some Dr. Colorchip and fill in all the pits?
Yeah touchup paint. Its really a continous process. And ppf isnt perfect either. I did do a big post why for me ppf isnt a good option and it depends on individual circumstances. But for most ppl ppf is just a waste of money and they are better off getting a respray as needed.

Umm...not sure I track. Partial PPF (front bumper, hood, front quarter panels, mirrors) is <$1500 with high-quality PPF. A repaint on those panels, if necessary, will be more costly than $1500 and can lead to other problems (like overspray or overall de-valuation). I think the real question is whether or not folks can live with some chips and scratches on the front clip. Of course the answer is yes for most. In that case, put some protectant on the paint (sealant, CC, etc.) and go drive.

In my case, my car gets a lot of highway miles and I have some OCD around chips, etc. I opted for partial PPF and also coated the car myself with Optigloss coat. I am now wondering if I should also apply PPF to the lower rockers as they are taking some hits for sure.

The answer to this is that it depends essentially where you drive. I.e. in europe any rockchips will be small splatter which a ppf will just keep at bay. Australia you can get some fattys where ppf will make no difference and then its really annoying coz you also struggle to touch it up.

I gotta be real honest here in europe i would get nothing and maybe consider a respray after a few years. The reality is that rockchips just arent an issue there and the small ones you do get you can just leave (i wouldnt bother to touch them up). So it has to be individualized really. Though for my purposes in australia id still say that ppf is not the best proposition. usa? Maybe different matter. In particular taxes are lower and labour cheaper so ppf etc is a more valid option. And you get differrent kind of rockchips there. (Which may lend themselves better to ppf or partial ppf protection)

I mean, the OP's questions is: "is a full PPF at 4000$ more than a partial one is worth it?". The OP already decided to get a PPF.

I am still very curious to hear an actual repaint quote because when I looked, I quickly concluded that a full PPF was significantly cheaper than a repaint.

I mean, the OP's questions is: "is a full PPF at 4000$ more than a partial one is worth it?". The OP already decided to get a PPF.

I am still very curious to hear an actual repaint quote because when I looked, I quickly concluded that a full PPF was significantly cheaper than a repaint.

The repaint cost need to factor in the investment you get over 5 to 10 years too from that money. The repaint cost has been subject to multiple discussions here and the idea is 5 to 7k usd for a full repaint

The repaint cost need to factor in the investment you get over 5 to 10 years too from that money. The repaint cost has been subject to multiple discussions here and the idea is 5 to 7k usd for a full repaint
I'm sorry. I am new to the forum. Can you point out one thread with quotes? Because I am pretty sure a repaint is more expensive than ppf like 1-4x. For the same price, ppf is, to me, obviously superior. The only case where a repaint would make more sense is if your day job is being professional car painter.

Another massive aspect IMO is that ppf keeps resale value while repaint does not. I would guess that all else being equal, resale value of ppf-ed car > resale value of dinged car in order of damage level > resale value of repainted car. It's true you will not recover the costs of the ppf so maybe "cost of ownership" - "resale value" is greater for the unprotected car but a ppf-ed car will be easier to sell than a scratched one IMO.

As for the full ppf vs partial, IMO the main reason for a full ppf would be going for matte/satin ppf vs gloss. For glossy finish, partial is probably sufficient and cheap enough compared to the car value.

I'm sorry. I am new to the forum. Can you point out one thread with quotes? Because I am pretty sure a repaint is more expensive than ppf like 1-4x. For the same price, ppf is, to me, obviously superior. The only case where a repaint would make more sense is if your day job is being professional car painter.

Another massive aspect IMO is that ppf keeps resale value while repaint does not. I would guess that all else being equal, resale value of ppf-ed car > resale value of dinged car in order of damage level > resale value of repainted car. It's true you will not recover the costs of the ppf so maybe "cost of ownership" - "resale value" is greater for the unprotected car but a ppf-ed car will be easier to sell than a scratched one IMO.

As for the full ppf vs partial, IMO the main reason for a full ppf would be going for matte/satin ppf vs gloss. For glossy finish, partial is probably sufficient and cheap enough compared to the car value.
Just look at the website of a reputable paint shop how much they charge to paint a car.

I got a quote for $2200CAN ($1760US) for double application ceramic coating on the entire car with 5 year warranty plus the entire front of the car in PPF (Front fender/bumper, entire windshield, side fender above front tires + mirrors). I think I will do it. I have a white 2015 Honda Civic right now that I bought brand new and the entire front end is full of stone chips. So its worth it.

Reactions: sroy
I got a quote for $2200CAN ($1760US) for double application ceramic coating on the entire car with 5 year warranty plus the entire front of the car in PPF (Front fender/bumper, entire windshield, side fender above front tires + mirrors). I think I will do it. I have a white 2015 Honda Civic right now that I bought brand new and the entire front end is full of stone chips. So its worth it.

Thats not bad actually

I got my Tesla M3 long range here in the U.K. coated with Gtechniq Gtechniq Ceramic Coating Products - Smart Surface Science. Im absolutely delighted with it and just so easy to keep clean Now also had my BMW done with it too. I guess what impressed me the most was not just the coating but how it visibly improved the quality and tone of the colours as well as obviously the finish.

37901A72-DAC9-4D5F-BDD9-CF70940D7C44.jpeg

As others have stated it's a personal preference thing for sure... I bought a new car just over a year ago and caught a rock that chipped my front bumper. I look at that chip mark every single time I walk up to my car. If you are like me the PPF is worth the sanity. If it's not going to eat your brain then a respray when you are going to sell is fine to keep the resale value at top range.
I am waiting to take delivery of a M3P and will be driving directly to the PPF installer. I am going with full front and rocker panels PPF and then full ceramic coating. $4K all in with the PPF being $2.5K.
I'm only keeping the 3 until my Cybertruck is delivered so most would say I won't get the value only planning to drive the car for a couple years.

1) I plan on keeping it for atleast 7-8 years if not longer.
2) It isn't that important to me but i would prefer to keep it at it's best condition if possible.
3) I don't mind it but I don't know if i would wax the car after every wash.
I did a PPF on the full front bumper, 23” of the hood and partial fenders, the mirrors and door handles. Cost be $850 for Xpel with 10 yr warranty. I also did a ceramic coat for $650 in Oklahoma. I also keep my car in the garage and don’t plan on keeping it beyond the warranty period.

Attachments

• 64EC46AD-276E-4805-8E76-8B387C94958C.jpeg
    64EC46AD-276E-4805-8E76-8B387C94958C.jpeg
    672.3 KB · Views: 55
I did a PPF on the full front bumper, 23” of the hood and partial fenders, the mirrors and door handles. Cost be $850 for Xpel with 10 yr warranty. I also did a ceramic coat for $650 in Oklahoma. I also keep my car in the garage and don’t plan on keeping it beyond the warranty period.
That is so cheap sometimes I wish i didn't live in cali... for full front mirrors and the rockers i paid $3200 ceramic coat wasn't as bad it was around $850 but either i didn't take care of my ceramic coat right or it just didn't work that well but i think it is completely gone now...

That is so cheap sometimes I wish i didn't live in cali... for full front mirrors and the rockers i paid $3200 ceramic coat wasn't as bad it was around $850 but either i didn't take care of my ceramic coat right or it just didn't work that well but i think it is completely gone now...
$3200 is just crazy!!!! I am supposed to take mine in every 12 months for an inspection to keep the warranty valid. That costs about $80 for an exterior detail.
If I bought another Tesla, I wouldn't even bother with PPF or Ceramic Coats. I have 2007 Silverado with 200K miles, that still looks like new.

$3200 is just crazy!!!! I am supposed to take mine in every 12 months for an inspection to keep the warranty valid. That costs about $80 for an exterior detail.
If I bought another Tesla, I wouldn't even bother with PPF or Ceramic Coats. I have 2007 Silverado with 200K miles, that still looks like new.
yeah.. cali prices are insane... but i would like to do a full ppf i just to protect it from things such as door dings and light scratches etc.

I personally got the front part of my model 3 PPF. I figure that is where the most of the damage will occur.

In terms of people saying you can respray the car... I mean in 5 years or so its going to be difficult to match your paint color, i.e. there will be a different shade of color and will be noticeable.