TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

PPF / ClearBra might save your (bumper's) life!

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by nsxpert, Jan 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. nsxpert

nsxpert Member

Parallel parked the roadster last night, leaving ample room BUT, upon returning from dinner I was presented with this horror show:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Basically was a hit and run. No clues as to who did it.

Luckily... I had a local detailer remove the clear bra on the bumper today and turns out there was NO DAMAGE underneath! Amazing.
    [​IMG]

Just a little PSA to "always keep it wrapped up!" :D

Attached Files:

• Like x 3
  2. rfmurphy81

rfmurphy81 Member

Great story! And I agree about keeping it wrapped. My Xpel Ultimate has saved me three separate times and still looks like it was just installed. I also enjoy the benefit after a wash of having a glossy car that looks like it was just built.

• Like x 1
  3. ICON

ICON Member

Astonishing that it didn't crack the paint under the clear bra!
    Did the detailer pespray ?

4. nsxpert

nsxpert Member

Not sure what you mean by pespray?
    I'm told It was just peeled back using a steamer, and then it took a bit of work to remove the remaining adhesive left behind.

Definitely astonishing, felt like winning the lottery :D

5. Drewflux

Drewflux Member

I think he meant respray. Dang auto correct. Was any paint correction needed? I.e buffing? Although when you think about it, most clear bra/ppf can be upto 3mm thick.

6. ICON

ICON Member

Astonishing that it didn't crack the paint under the clear bra!
    Did the detailer RESPRAY or do any paint work?

7. nsxpert

nsxpert Member

no re-spray or paint correction needed!

• Like x 1
  8. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

#8 Stewie26, Jan 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    Wow, great that your car did not sustain damage from being hit.
    Question. I just recently purchased a roaster. The previous owner stated that he spent about $4k having the clear bra plus most of the rest of the car wrapped with a 3M product. I do notice that under certain lighting conditions, the area wrapped seems to be a slightly different color shade than the paint area with no wrapping. It looks worse in this photo than with the naked eye but it does bother me some. Is this normal?
    IMG_0672.JPG

9. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

Not on mine

• Helpful x 1
  10. slcasner

slcasner Member

The difference in color may not be due to the wrap, it may be in the paint. My car also shows some subtle color differences between panels where both are not wrapped.

BTW, my car also suffered a parking lot collision on the front bumper where the factory-applied 3M StarShield protected the paint even though in one spot there was a 3/8" hole in the wrap.

• Like x 1