Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF Cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just paid $500 for full bumper using Xpel Ultimate. Guy even offered mobile service to my home since I had a bunch of WFH meetings. Nice job and I am satisfied with the quality and how it turned out. Anyone in SF Bay Area that wants a name and number for this guy, just hit me up.
i'm in the south bay (los altos) and would appreciate a recommendation. not sure how to do this privately...

For those in the bay area looking for PPF and/or ceramic work, I highly recommend MUM Sports in Fremont (https://www.yelp.com/biz/mum-sports-fremont-2). They're straight pros and Sayed (shop manager) makes sure all your concerns are addressed the entire time.

I got a full frontal xpel ultimate PPF for $1485 (XPEL | Paint Protection Film | Clear Bra | ULTIMATE PLUS | STEALTH | TRACWRAP | ARMOR) -- includes a 10% first time customer discount by referral. I called around a ton of shops in the bay area (6+) that have at least a 4.5 yelp review rating and MUM was the cheapest. Happy to share any more detail or up close shots.

My yelp review is here: https://www.yelp.com/biz/mum-sports...opup&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=(direct)

Cheers!

Did you notice any bubbling, cutting, or scuffing issues? There were at least two people that noticed that, but also people with really well done cars. I wonder what accounts for the variance.

I heard back from OCDetailing in Fremont; 8k for full body XPEL, with paint correction and ceramic layered on top. Other places I have reached out to have not gotten back to me. Since this is our first new car, we want to protect it from the get go.

Did you notice any bubbling, cutting, or scuffing issues? There were at least two people that noticed that, but also people with really well done cars. I wonder what accounts for the variance.

I heard back from OCDetailing in Fremont; 8k for full body XPEL, with paint correction and ceramic layered on top. Other places I have reached out to have not gotten back to me. Since this is our first new car, we want to protect it from the get go.
Sounds about right for Southern Cal, 7k for PPF & 1k for the ceramic coating, I’ve seen their videos, they do good work.

Fred

Some of these quotes are ridiculous. I paid $1100 (Canadian dollars) for the entire bumper, hood, fenders, headlights, rear door edges, and the bottom edge of the trunk.

Call some dealerships, ask who does their installs, and call the installer directly.

For those in the bay area looking for PPF and/or ceramic work, I highly recommend MUM Sports in Fremont (MUM Sports - Fremont, CA). They're straight pros and Sayed (shop manager) makes sure all your concerns are addressed the entire time.

I got a full frontal xpel ultimate PPF for $1485 (XPEL | Paint Protection Film | Clear Bra | ULTIMATE PLUS | STEALTH | TRACWRAP | ARMOR) -- includes a 10% first time customer discount by referral. I called around a ton of shops in the bay area (6+) that have at least a 4.5 yelp review rating and MUM was the cheapest. Happy to share any more detail or up close shots.

My yelp review is here: Truman S.'s review of MUM Sports

Cheers!

Thanks for posting and I'm very interested as well, but for a full PPF. Either way, interested in the potential referral.

It is difficult to compare prices as the installation cost is dictated by area/State/Province/Country and reflects what the area will support so prices will be all over the place. Material cost is pretty much the same however labour makes up the biggest difference. Where I live I had the full front done including all lights and mirrors. Also had the bottom portions of the doors done from front to back. $1500 CDN which equates to $1170 US $ for the entire jobs which did include a couple of touchups. Guaranteed for life whatever that means. Had it done a stones throw away from my office, took 2 days.

It is difficult to compare prices as the installation cost is dictated by area/State/Province/Country and reflects what the area will support so prices will be all over the place. Material cost is pretty much the same however labour makes up the biggest difference. Where I live I had the full front done including all lights and mirrors. Also had the bottom portions of the doors done from front to back. $1500 CDN which equates to $1170 US $ for the entire jobs which did include a couple of touchups. Guaranteed for life whatever that means. Had it done a stones throw away from my office, took 2 days.
PPF is the first automative related product that seems to be cheaper to get done in Canada. Probably less people willing to pay the $$$.

Some of these quotes are ridiculous..

YOu arent kidding. $8k USD? I just sold a 2006 AMG earlier this year. 105k miles. No ppf. Sold it privately and got far more than book value. Im 100% positive I would have not gotten a penny more if it would have had PPF. And paint was all original. Had a few small stone chips on front bumper, but minimal on hood, none on fenders. Had multiple full price offers. And $500 JUST for a front bumper? Thats almost the cost that Tesla would charge for a brand spanking new prepainted...front..bumper

to me, PPF at the costs being charged in the USA simply arent worth it. Maybe if I lived in an area with lots of unpaved rocky roads, my opinion would be different...

• Love
Reactions: Reborn
YOu arent kidding. $8k USD? I just sold a 2006 AMG earlier this year. 105k miles. No ppf. Sold it privately and got far more than book value. Im 100% positive I would have not gotten a penny more if it would have had PPF. And paint was all original. Had a few small stone chips on front bumper, but minimal on hood, none on fenders. Had multiple full price offers. And $500 JUST for a front bumper? Thats almost the cost that Tesla would charge for a brand spanking new prepainted...front..bumper

to me, PPF at the costs being charged in the USA simply arent worth it. Maybe if I lived in an area with lots of unpaved rocky roads, my opinion would be different...

I paid $7k for full PPF and window tint. For me the ease of washing while also protecting the paint was the selling factor.

There are locations on the car that can get pretty messed up pretty fast on Tesla (rockers, front, load/unload from trunk, possibly hood if you have rings on or any snap or anything on a cuff and are closing the frunk, etc.)

For me with my blue, it’s almost impossible for me to wash it without swirls. Even a two bucket method with me resulted in light swirling with my old Model 3. Now with PPF I power wash to get dirt off, foam cannon, and go over the vehicle pretty quick with a microfiber in just ten minutes or so, let it air dry since I use DI water, and I’m done. I can do this weekly in about an hour and no swirling.

It would likely require professional washing every week or two and maybe a detail / swirl removal yearly otherwise. Cost wise that might still be cheaper, but it’s a hassle.

To me ppf with stealth to get a new look and protection would make up for the cost any wrap costs money. Clear ppf is a waste.

For me with my blue, it’s almost impossible for me to wash it without swirls. Even a two bucket method with me resulted in light swirling with my old Model 3.

It would likely require professional washing every week or two and maybe a detail / swirl removal yearly otherwise. Cost wise that might still be cheaper, but it’s a hassle.

This is the REAL problem. Tesla's paint is frail and they charge $1k for a color change. Tesla's paint reminds me of the Ford's in the 80s/90s. They really should hire a master blender from Mercedes. Those guys know how to create paints.

yes, that is the most honest response on PPF. The cost of detailing/repainting is probably less than that of getting a full PPF but it def save time and hassle.

Wow!!! Some of these prices are crazy! Guess I got pretty lucky here in Canada...(all prices in Canadian $$$)
  • Full XPEL Ultimate PPF: $4200
    • Pre-Cut (no debadging)
  • Suntek Ceramic Window Tint (25%) - Front Driver & Passenger Side Windows: $300
  • Feynlab Ceramic Coating (X2) w/ Glass & Windshield: $250
Had a friend that knew a guy and got me a great deal! :)

Happy protecting!

Get water spots one time. Paint protection is critical.

Also, Teslas are not like ICE cars. They have a flat surface facing forward. That thing gets chipped like there is no tomorrow. Your AMG has a grille which doesn't scratch the same way.

Also, good luck getting a brand spanking new Tesla front bumper. You'll have to wait weeks.