Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF - Do I Really Need It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know the general vibe on the forums is yes... but I am wondering if there are some alternative perspectives on this or if PPF is just absolutely the right move. In Madison, WI I am being quoted between 5K-7K for a full wrap with 1-2 weeks in the shop, with openings starting in January.

I am all for spending money to protect a large investment, so that part of it doesn't bother me, but if I plan on keeping the car for 5-6 years would the cost of small corrects for dents and the like end up being less than the cost of PPF?

Open to all perspectives here, appreciate it!

I know the general vibe on the forums is yes... but I am wondering if there are some alternative perspectives on this or if PPF is just absolutely the right move. In Madison, WI I am being quoted between 5K-7K for a full wrap with 1-2 weeks in the shop, with openings starting in January.

I am all for spending money to protect a large investment, so that part of it doesn't bother me, but if I plan on keeping the car for 5-6 years would the cost of small corrects for dents and the like end up being less than the cost of PPF?

That is absolutely insane. Is this a clear PPF or are they wrapping your whole car in a color? One of the most pristine shops in Chicago does all the most important panels for about $1500. I would shop around or come road trip down to Chicago.
I plan on having it added to my Y when it comes in simply because we plan on keeping it for quite a while.

That is absolutely insane. Is this a clear PPF or are they wrapping your whole car in a color? One of the most pristine shops in Chicago does all the most important panels for about $1500. I would shop around or come road trip down to Chicago.
I plan on having it added to my Y when it comes in simply because we plan on keeping it for quite a while.
It seemed high, but after calling a few shops they seemed to be all around that price. Which shop in Chicago are you referring to? I have a call in to Chicago Auto Pros and am waiting for a callback. Part of the issue with getting it done in a different city is figuring out how to get back to Madison in the meantime, especially if it takes more than one day. And the quote was for a clear PPF.

Very subjective and my personal answer is no. I don't feel its worth the money for PPF or paint coating. I think they do have their own merits to keeping the car in a better condition but I don't think it is absolutely necessary.

Reactions: Type1

Shop around, that's a pretty high quote. I plan to do PPF only in the front (bumper, hood, front fenders, mirrors, headlights, fog lights). $1400.

Those are ballpark prices for a reputable shop here in the Sacramento area of Northern CA. I got quotes from 4 different places last year and they were all fairly close to each other in price. I think if you do decide to get PPF, you should visit the shops and inspect the quality of their work before making any decision. Example - Ask if all the edges are wrapped, how they handle warranty issues, etc

Reactions: Premiertint
Full front plus rockers is likely what you want. I paid about $2100 for that.

Yes you want it. it’s cosmetic and allows you to enjoy your new car for longer. What’s better, a car with a bunch of paint chips that you see every day or a car that doesn’t have them. You can get correction years later but then you’re looking at all those chips until then, plus you live in the cold north where weather and road conditions are harsh.

Also, don’t forget that it’s human nature to want something new and shiny. PPF will help maintain the new look of your car so you’ll likely be less inclined to buy a new car later - what’s that worth?

You won’t regret it if the shop is good. Don’t pay more than $2,500 for full front plus rockers for clear Xpel

I have a full Xpel PPF and love it. To answer your question, no one absolutely needs PPF. After all, cars existed for many years without the benefit of PPF. It depends on your budget and how comfortable you are with paint that is not fully protected.

The reason why there are so many fans of PPF is because it offers a type of protection that is not offered by any other product on the market. No other product protects from scratches, swirls, and chips the way PPF does. And no other product is self-healing like PPF. If you end up with scratches or swirl marks, put the car in the sun's heat for 20 minutes and they will disappear.

Yes, you can put on the latest sealants or ceramic coatings. They will make the paint look great and offer some protection, but not from scratches, swirls, and chips the way PPF does.

I was more than happy to pay for PPF so that I would have scratch and swirl-free paint for several years. Others might think it is a waste of money and would rather keep the $5K in their pocket. I totally respect that point of view. You have to do what is right for you.

Based on my experience, yes if you live in a place with winter and sanded roads. I got significant paint damage from just one winter trip on sanded roads in Oregon. Required a repaint of the doors and rockers. Afterward I did a partial PPF for about $1800 (hood and rockers). There are plenty of posts and evidence that show the factory paint just isn't good enough for tough climates.

"Need" is tough to justify, the purest sense. Truth be told, I didn't even "need" a Tesla. For me, though, the convenience and peace of mind that wrapping the entire car provides was worth the money. I have no illusion that I'll get a return of my cost in resale value or anything like that. I just really enjoy having the car wrapped so that it's easier to take care of and it minimizes the concern about every little rock or twig that hits the car.

Need? No. Pay for the chip correction when you come to sell the car, if you want to. If not, thats just wear and tear like every car x billions. If you want to change colour, sure. If you want to protect against chips, it depends on how anal you are. Even PPF wont protect against everything. Its your decision ultimately. Gouged plastic from chips looks as bad as chips on metal and paint in my eyes - you have to fix both, neither of which are free.

Now Opticoat, thats another matter, many layers of that would help the paint be more robust for sure. And be cleaner, more easily. About half the price of a wrap. That makes sense. It wont protect against hard core stones of course, but small minor stuff it will help a little bit.

You can do a partial PPF. That'll be alot less. And you can consider DIY partial. Front hood and rockers are fairly easy. Doors are pretty easy, but you need another hand to hold the large piece in place. The front bumper is super hard to DIY. But, if your decision is whether it's worth it, then consider a partial.

I did the Front end Xpel PPF for $1850.00 and for an additional 450.00 the rocker panel and the back of the trunk where luggage might cause some scratches. The full front including bumper, fenders, lights and mirrors are fully protected. No need for the full body wrap. Car delivered on 30 March 2019, a little over 10k miles and with 2 trips to Las Vegas. No paint chips, all shine. Look into getting a quote for the front, that will save you some cash. Oh and it only took 2 days. Make sure you Yelp those companies where you are located.

Auto Armour PPF
https://yelp.to/qTKq/CE5laotGn1

Fred

Last edited: