Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF - Do I Really Need It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You absolutely don't need it.
After 18 months, mine still looks great.

Sone people just have to baby their cars.

I'd guess that less than 25% of the Tesla's have any additional treatment
I think it depends where you live and the amount of traffic especially an area with lots of trucks, San Diego California only 2 exits from the Mexican border, we have tons of trucks and all types of traffic, it’s as bad as Los Angeles now. I’ve been hit with everything from rocks to who knows what, I’ve seen it coming at me and most times I have enough time to move away but still hit the corner of the bumper, I can prove it with all of the nicks I have on the front windshield. I spent the most on a car ever, $40,000 my Volt was 35k so I prefer to keep it as clean as possible, Can’t stand a single paint chip, peace of mind.

Fred

honestly, with the sheer cost of getting PPF installed i cannot justify it. It seems WAY too expensive.
IMHO, if you get a lot of rock chips on your car normally.... change the way you drive/where you drive if you can. If you can't do those, then yeah get some PPF. If you do NOT get a lot of rock chips, doesn't seem worth the large expense.

To jump back in. Find any four year old car and tell me what the front bumper looks like. I bet it looks pretty bad with fading, chips, scratches, etc.

On a model 3 all of these are more pronounced because there isn’t a grill with empty space or black unpainted/gloss plastics. The 3 is a magnet for road debris of all kinds on the front because of painted surface area.

Reactions: TyH2009
To jump back in. Find any four year old car and tell me what the front bumper looks like. I bet it looks pretty bad with fading, chips, scratches, etc.

On a model 3 all of these are more pronounced because there isn’t a grill with empty space or black unpainted/gloss plastics. The 3 is a magnet for road debris of all kinds on the front because of painted surface area.

This is the main difference between a Tesla and most other brands. No grill up front, which means a huge surface area that is going to get beat up in normal driving conditions. Also because of the slope of the front end, the hood will also see its fair share of rocks.

We had PPF put on the front end like a lot of others. Much less expensive and I think it provides the best bang for the buck. $1,500 for front bumper, front quarter panels, full hood and side view mirrors. The installer added door edge guards and the area under the trunk for free. Not necessary for us as we are pretty careful with doors and loading stuff into the trunk.

This shouldn't be a 'return on investment' type of decision. You won't get a return when you sell it. If it doesn't bother you to have a front end that gets beat up with rock chips, then no need for PPF. But if you think it's going to bother you, then you should invest. I don't buy into the argument that you can just get a fresh coat of paint for the same amount of money. When are you going to do that? When it first happens? After you get several chips? Right before you sell it? In all of these situations, you are going to be living with rock chips or paying money anyway. Easier to protect up front.

My Model 3 Performance was delivered with several paint defects that needed correction by the Tesla Approved body shop. The cost of the repairs, which was billed to Tesla, was definitely more than getting a front end PPF protection package. The worst part was the 2.5 month wait to get an appointment. I know the cost and quality of resprays vary and using a Tesla Approved body shop is not required, but just wanted to share my personal experience.......

IMHO, getting PPF is not for everyone...

I got full PPF. It’s worth it for me because I know my OCD would go crazy from rock chips. The 3 is so aerodynamic that it’s been basically a rock magnet compared to my old Civic. PPF has kept my car looking good. If you do a partial PPF, I’d recommend doing the full hood— I’ve had rocks land there and up the windshield

The worst part was the 2.5 month wait to get an appointment

jkoya brings up a good point. Another advantage of PPF protection: If someone dings your door and scratches the paint, then repainting the car at a body shop will be necessary. Even at a non-Tesla approved body shop, this can still take several days. If the same body panel is covered in PPF, there is a good chance that the PPF will absorb most of the hit and prevent the actual paint from being scratched. My PPF installer has a door-ding removal guy at his shop. They can remove the ding and replace the PPF on the effected panel in just a few hours. This has already happened to me twice so I know from personal experience. It is much easier to replace a piece of PPF than to repaint a panel.

honestly, with the sheer cost of getting PPF installed i cannot justify it. It seems WAY too expensive.
IMHO, if you get a lot of rock chips on your car normally.... change the way you drive/where you drive if you can. If you can't do those, then yeah get some PPF. If you do NOT get a lot of rock chips, doesn't seem worth the large expense.
But how much is "WAY too expensive"?

You don't have to get the whole car done. You can do a partial for the areas most likely to get dinged like the front bumper/hood/fenders/mirror cups. And, if you do it yourself, it can be quite inexpensive. I did a 30" partial hood/fenders/mirrors for under $200. The front bumper for about $175, and all four doors for $400. And the rockers for about $100. So, for under $900, I pretty much covered the whole front 2/3rds of the car. All of it is doable for a competent DIYer except the bumper. That takes alot of patience. I left that for last, as the other pieces were all practice. That was all from invisiblemask.com.

There are a few variables as others have mentioned.

For me, it was worth it... I drive to my office (almost all freeway), Monday - Friday and love the protection from debris, rock chips, etc.

Also, I got matte PPF on my entire car and it only cost me $2,700. So, for the price and my usage, it was totally worth it!

Another advantage of PPF protection: If someone dings your door and scratches the paint, then repainting the car at a body shop will be necessary. Even at a non-Tesla approved body shop, this can still take several days. If the same body panel is covered in PPF, there is a good chance that the PPF will absorb most of the hit and prevent the actual paint from being scratched. My PPF installer has a door-ding removal guy at his shop. They can remove the ding and replace the PPF on the effected panel in just a few hours. This has already happened to me twice so I know from personal experience. It is much easier to replace a piece of PPF than to repaint a panel.

This is actually the reason I decided to go with full exterior PPF for my Model 3 Performance. My Acura had to be transported from CA to Mississippi for a power steering rack rebuild (only place in US I know of to do this service. He gets NSXs from all over the world for PS Rack rebuilds). The auto transport operator must have hit the lower rocker panel with a chain or something, but when I got the car back, there was a huge chunk of paint gone. Called right away and they paid for the repair, but two reputable high end body shops have not been able to match the color. If I had PPF on the rockers, I'm pretty confident it would have saved the paint... After waiting 2 years, I finally found someone selling factory painted rockers in Spa Yellow Metallic. Until then, I thought I would have to live with mismatched paint...

Reactions: joebruin77
OP - if you want PPF, get it, but you don't need the entire car covered. get what you can afford. the most common install seems to be the entire front (hood, bumper, mirrors, lights). some people have their rockers done as well (side skirts, area under the doors). i also got a strip above the rear bumper for the trunk. you should be able to get a high quality film installed for somewhere between 1500-2000, depending on how much film, type of film, and installer. make sure you use a trusted installer that warranties their work and ask around local car forums to see who people use.

on the question if you "need" it or not, as others have pointed out, it is subjective.

what it will help to prevent:
- chipping and pitting from road debris
- swirls and scratches

what it wont help to prevent:
- anything that can break plastic or dent metal

if you get PPF, make sure your insurance will cover it, should you get in an accident. a full bumper replacement may cost you $1000-2000 with install, paint, etc. if you have PPF on top of it, it could be another 500-1000 to have it reinstalled.

at the end of the day, where does your investment matter most? most cars sell with pitting/chipping and the occasional door ding anyway. the value is not going to be decreased so much that if someone really wants your car, they're not going to buy it. for me, however, if it's between a car that costs $5k more because the paint looks "perfect" because of the film, i'll probably buy that car.

Reactions: Type1
I really appreciate everyone's feedback--- it does seem like there a lot of perspectives, all valid. For the time being I have scheduled a full front wrap for January (the earliest the most reputable shop in Madison can do it). We will see if sometime before then I change my mind either direction, but for now that seems right. Thanks again to everyone for contributing.

I did the Front end Xpel PPF for $1850.00 and for an additional 450.00 the rocker panel and the back of the trunk where luggage might cause some scratches. The full front including bumper, fenders, lights and mirrors are fully protected. No need for the full body wrap. Car delivered on 30 March 2019, a little over 10k miles and with 2 trips to Las Vegas. No paint chips, all shine. Look into getting a quote for the front, that will save you some cash. Oh and it only took 2 days. Make sure you Yelp those companies where you are located.

Auto Armour PPF
https://yelp.to/qTKq/CE5laotGn1

Fred
Full body wrap: If you would like to keep the
I really appreciate everyone's feedback--- it does seem like there a lot of perspectives, all valid. For the time being I have scheduled a full front wrap for January (the earliest the most reputable shop in Madison can do it). We will see if sometime before then I change my mind either direction, but for now that seems right. Thanks again to everyone for contributing.
Full body wrap: If you would like to keep the car for a long time, PPF would be definitely a good idea. It will protect from scratches, swirls marks and environmental impacts.
The most popular package in our shop is Full front: (Full hood, fenders, side mirrors, front bumper, head lights / fog lights). PPF will protect from rock chips especially if you drive a lot on the highway. Rock chips will 100% damage the paint. We usually charge $2,200 Cad with Xpel Ultimate or SunTek Ultra. The reason why some shops are more expensive than the others is because of the quality of the service (true professional will never cost cheap) also brand and quality of the film is very important. Also always take a look on the portfolio of the company and how many cars have been done.

Reactions: Type1
Full body wrap: If you would like to keep the

Full body wrap: If you would like to keep the car for a long time, PPF would be definitely a good idea. It will protect from scratches, swirls marks and environmental impacts.
The most popular package in our shop is Full front: (Full hood, fenders, side mirrors, front bumper, head lights / fog lights). PPF will protect from rock chips especially if you drive a lot on the highway. Rock chips will 100% damage the paint. We usually charge $2,200 Cad with Xpel Ultimate or SunTek Ultra. The reason why some shops are more expensive than the others is because of the quality of the service (true professional will never cost cheap) also brand and quality of the film is very important. Also always take a look on the portfolio of the company and how many cars have been done.
Thanks, this is helpful. Think I found a good shop a city over that will do PPF and Ceramic coating for $6000 total (for entire car). I may just bite the bullet and do it. Even having the car for one day without it has stressed me out to no end.

Thanks, this is helpful. Think I found a good shop a city over that will do PPF and Ceramic coating for $6000 total (for entire car). I may just bite the bullet and do it. Even having the car for one day without it has stressed me out to no end.

$6000 saved now plus your car as a trade in several years is a big down payment on a new Model 3. I am skeptical if PPF would add that much value on a trade-in, but I truly have no idea on the long term value of PPF. I'm in the northeast with salted roads in the winter; rust will eventually creep up from somewhere no matter what protections are put in place.

Forgive my ignorance, but what happens if something makes it through the PPF? Can it be fixed/touched up? Small chips in paint are not too hard to obscure and protect with a good touch up kit.

I’m going through the process right now. I’m leaning towards a partial wrap (full hood, front bumper, fenders, mirrors). It’s not
much to add the a-pillars and lights.

I just got my m3p- on Friday. It’s going in the shop next Monday for the wrap, ceramic coating and window tinting.

I’ve never done this with prior vehicles but as others have noted the lack of a grill with its low stance, aerodynamic design ect I’m going to bite the bullet. She has a way of speaking to my funds.