Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF - Do I Really Need It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m going through the process right now. I’m leaning towards a partial wrap (full hood, front bumper, fenders, mirrors). It’s not
much to add the a-pillars and lights.

I just got my m3p- on Friday. It’s going in the shop next Monday for the wrap, ceramic coating and window tinting.

I’ve never done this with prior vehicles but as others have noted the lack of a grill with its low stance, aerodynamic design ect I’m going to bite the bullet. She has a way of speaking to my funds.
Full front includes lights and fog lights, you may want to look into the rocker panels, those get beat up bad.

Fred

Forgive my ignorance, but what happens if something makes it through the PPF? Can it be fixed/touched up? Small chips in paint are not too hard to obscure and protect with a good touch up kit.

I've had PPF installed on my last 9 cars and I do realize it's a personal choice and not for everyone. On 5 of my cars that had PPF, they were hit with road debris strong enough to make a small tear in the PPF. For all 5 of those times, the PPF did its job and took the brunt of the the debris impact. The paint underneath the tear was not affected by the debris at all. As for the PPF with the tear, I believe the only way for an actual "repair" is to have that particular piece replaced. The PPF on my NSX and Volt both have small tears from debris impact, but I have not had the sections replaced. The tears have not grown larger and I do not notice any dirt build up underneath the tear either...

$6000 saved now plus your car as a trade in several years is a big down payment on a new Model 3. I am skeptical if PPF would add that much value on a trade-in, but I truly have no idea on the long term value of PPF. I'm in the northeast with salted roads in the winter; rust will eventually creep up from somewhere no matter what protections are put in place.

Forgive my ignorance, but what happens if something makes it through the PPF? Can it be fixed/touched up? Small chips in paint are not too hard to obscure and protect with a good touch up kit.
If you drive on the highway 140 - 160km speed the PPF can be damaged and rock chip may damage the paint, however it is still much better compare to not have any protection on the front. Bumper can be repainted, headlights and fog lights not... I always recommend our clients to protect the front side on the car, minimum package front bumper and headlights or full front depends on the budget.

Reactions: Wennfred
FYI - here's what a partial PPF looks like after 10 years, on a white vehicle, without wrapped edges. This was originally VentureShield film, which 3M purchased. It was much thicker than my xPel but resulted in the inability to wrap the edges.

apNiJUE.jpg

FYI - here's what a partial PPF looks like after 10 years, on a white vehicle, without wrapped edges. This was originally VentureShield film, which 3M purchased. It was much thicker than my xPel but resulted in the inability to wrap the edges.

apNiJUE.jpg
Damn, that is definitely visible. Was it that pronounced (the edges, not the color of course) when you first got it put on?

OP both of our cars have it and your prices sound like what you'd find here in the SF Bay area for a full wrap with something like Xpel Ultimate Plus and a skilled installer. The labor is a good portion of the cost. You want someone who's done alot of Teslas and you probably want to make sure edges are wrapped where possible. Seen enough people who have had disappointing installs from someone not that skilled in the work or maybe unfamiliar with the install on Model 3s, front bumper area in particular.

Our Model S has had a portion of our wrap replaced twice now and not because of a bad job. First time was a slight run in with a wooden post and misjudging the available parking space (no damage to the body just the film) and the second was caused by a utility truck with a metal step on the back that scraped our car while it backed out from the parking spot from the rear wheel area to and including the bumper. The very corner of the step did scratch the body in one small area but the rest of the damage he caused was only film. Almost got totally lucky but still needed paint work. Had we not had PPF on the car for sure both would have required paint work and more of it in the second situation. The PPF has saved us from some car dings, one with a young girl opening her car door into our car much to the trepidation of her father and my husband. Despite thinking it was going to be bad, no PPF damage so no paint damage either.

I always hated seeing door dings on my previous cars and over time they can rust. I'll just say we have held on to our cars for a long time, like to see them look great and don't think either one of us regrets getting the extra protection. We never would have spent the money on our previous Honda Accords or Toyota Avalon BTW. Like @KenInDaLand said "I’ve never done this with prior vehicles but as others have noted the lack of a grill with its low stance, aerodynamic design ect I’m going to bite the bullet. She has a way of speaking to my funds." We feel our 2 Teslas are the best cars we've ever owned. Very much have an emotional connection with them and as such totally get what he said.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Type1
Not sure if you want to make a road trip but I have an installer in Minneapolis area who has done other work for me and is very reasonable.

For $1400 he’s going to do
Full hood
Front bumper
Fenders
Mirrors
Headlights
Rockers
Full rear bumper (because kids)

He does work for the local big dealers, as an independent contractor, and thus does work outside for MUCH less. His dad did our Acadia 10 years back and he did my wife’s Expedition 2 years ago. Excellent work!!!!

Pending his schedule he could likely do all this in a few hours.

Reactions: Type1
I know the general vibe on the forums is yes... but I am wondering if there are some alternative perspectives on this or if PPF is just absolutely the right move. In Madison, WI I am being quoted between 5K-7K for a full wrap with 1-2 weeks in the shop, with openings starting in January.

I am all for spending money to protect a large investment, so that part of it doesn't bother me, but if I plan on keeping the car for 5-6 years would the cost of small corrects for dents and the like end up being less than the cost of PPF?

Open to all perspectives here, appreciate it!
Easy way for me to answer that question was to look at my seven year old car before it sold, and examine closely the road damage I'd incurred. There was precious little damage, so no PPF necessary.

So an update on what I ended up deciding on-- going to take my car to a shop in Milwaukee and leave it there from this Saturday through the 26th, so 10 days total.

I am getting...

Full front PPF + doors + rockers
Ceramic Coating on the entire car
Red Caliper covers with Tesla engraved into them (mirror the performance model)
Satin Black Chrome Delete
Wheel coating to match satin black color

The total on all of that came out to $6,025-- so not too bad with everything considered. Will definitely post a picture once it is all complete.

Going to be hard to go without the new car for 10 days!

I think it's going to largest factor is the quality of paint on the M3. I'm hoping the 2020's are better coated.

I've owned several roadsters from BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche roadsters all more aerodynamic and lower to the ground than the 3 and at the end of 3 ~ 4 years when it came time to sell they still looked fantastic. Yes there may have been few rock chips spread out somewhere on the vehicles, but nothing easily seen without looking for them. I do a lot of highway driving past rock processing plants on open flat roads so I get hit all the time by those overloaded trucks spilling rocks onto the road at high speeds 75mph+. I've had more windshield cracks than paint damage. The M3P sits about the same height as my old MY99 Boxster so I'd expect about the same amount of hits.

From what I've seen on this forum and elsewhere on the internet is the 3 apparently has very poor paint thickness and chips unusually easy as result. I also own a Tacoma which has the paint which surprisingly it has almost no chips from rock dings and it takes a lot at high speeds more so than my roadsters ever did, but it's elsewhere on the vehicle where the paint has chipped off on its own an issue Toyota is infamous for.

I get my P3D (Saturday :D) and will see how it plays out over the holidays. If it doesn't fare well then I'll wrap it in a brilliant 3M liquid copper skin. Yes I know wraps are very expensive.. but having a one like this might be worth the cost :D

2018-tesla-model-3-performance_100689409.jpg

Damn, that is definitely visible. Was it that pronounced (the edges, not the color of course) when you first got it put on?
sorry, missed this. you can't even tell when you first get it, but because the edges are visible, they will eventually collect dirt. obv a darker vehicle will show less, but i think the white lets you really see what's going on.

i gotta tell you, if you ever wonder if you should claybar/prep your paint before waxing/sealing, etc., own a "whiteboard-white" car. it. shows. everything.

I think it's going to largest factor is the quality of paint on the M3. I'm hoping the 2020's are better coated.
the painting process won't change until 1. Tesla decides to isolate parts by color instead of swapping between assemblies. 2. regulations change allowing non water-based paints to be used or a better, durable paint comes along in its place.
If it doesn't fare well then I'll wrap it in a brilliant 3M liquid copper skin. Yes I know wraps are very expensive.. but having a one like this might be worth the cost :D
wraps are also temporary. while they look good, they don't generally last very long and are subject to tearing, etc. a well taken care of wrap can last as long as 7 years but i wouldn't expect more than 5.