Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF (full wrap). Any regrets ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i had a partial wrap on my last vehicle. it was 10 years before i replaced it and the installer said it was in excellent shape. the OE wrap that was on my car, however, was in awful shape and would not remove from the paint.

long story short, if you can afford the install price, a full wrap is a great solution to help protect the paint, but it's not a cure-all. you won't be protected from dings, dents or otherwise. if you get in an accident or need to repair/replace any part of the car, you will need to replace the film as well, which will increase the price. film has to be cleaned and protected, the same as your paint. if you get a nick and dirt gets under the film, this can become a problem.

get it. you wont regret it.

The impression I have is that the new PPFs are alot better than in years past. I haven't seen a single complaint about the wrap itself since I've been here, in over a year. Install issues, yes, product issues, no.

I am considering a full wrap (PPF) but i'm wondering how it will looks in many years from now. Anyone had bad experience with it ?

I love my Xpel full wrap. If you have it done, I highly recommend having it done by a factory authorized installer and also one who is located near your home. I had a parking lot hit and also a dent by caused by a car next to me. In both instances, the PPF did its job and absorbed most of the impact. No repainting was necessary. But the PPF pieces did have to be replaced. Because my installer is less than 10 min drive from my house, it is no big deal to have the damaged piece replaced. And the other party or the other party's insurance covered the expense. It is much faster to have PPF replaced than to have body damage repainted and repaired.

Great to see the positive experiences with PPF. Over the years technology for PPF has advanced and many films including ours now offer 10 year warranties against cracking, discoloration, etc.

What we've taken pride in is the ease of removal when/if neccessary without leaving behind adhesive, or worse, damaging paint (which we also cover under warranty)

I love my Xpel full wrap. If you have it done, I highly recommend having it done by a factory authorized installer and also one who is located near your home. I had a parking lot hit and also a dent by caused by a car next to me. In both instances, the PPF did its job and absorbed most of the impact. No repainting was necessary. But the PPF pieces did have to be replaced. Because my installer is less than 10 min drive from my house, it is no big deal to have the damaged piece replaced. And the other party or the other party's insurance covered the expense. It is much faster to have PPF replaced than to have body damage repainted and repaired.

Hi Joe, may I ask where you had the PPF install done?

After a few months with full satin PPF, I'm gunna say...sorta. I think my installer bit off a bit more than he could chew with Satin PPF being something he's rarely worked with since it's less forgiving than clear PPF since stretches, bubbles, etc. are WAY more apparent and it might even react differently to tension too...so certain edges like on the mirror seem to always want to peel up a bit and same with other parts of the car...and once some dirt gets up under it, you can notice it a lot.

So basically I wouldn't undo it cause I love the look...but for most people, you're safer getting regular clear PPF.

It was my first time trying a wrap on any car I've owned. I got a really great group deal for a well reviewed installer, so i've been happy with it, although it hasn't withstood rock dings as much as I was hoping for. They caused a couple tears in it already, but hopefully it protected the paint underneath (seems like it did, but hard to tell). Makes washing the car a lot nicer.

My only regret is that I didn't get a satin wrap :)

2012 Model S - PPF fully with XPEL
After 4-5 years, really started looking dull, but was good enough and did great job protecting paint
2018 - ppf really dull, needed to come off. Didn't realize it actually can damage the paint.. Came off the paint with minor damage to the paint - was heavily buffed, and looked ok..
Paint looks awesome with the ppf OFF the paint, but small nicks etc... now on the hood.
If I had to do it again, I'm not sure what I'd do. The realistic life span for ppf seems 3-4 years, then it keeps the car from looking as good as it could, due to the dulling and/or yellowing and/or causing paint damage when it is removed.
Will get pushback from some of my comments, but no arguing that there is a finite lifetime for the ppf and when you have to remove it, the paint will need repair - minor or major repairs depending on many factors

Four other factors to keep in mind:

1) PPF of today is a lot better and more durable than PPF from several years ago.
2) The reason my installer recommended Xpel is because he has seen first hand Xpel really step up and honor their 10-year warranty. So if it turns out the PPF does indeed yellow or peel off, Xpel will have it replaced at their expense.
3) You still have to take care of the PPF. Specifically, you have to wash the car on a regular basis (I personally wash my car minimum once a week) and you have to seal the PPF. Some people like to put a ceramic coating on top of the PPF. I personally use a ceramic-infused, PPF-safe polymer sealant once every 3 months.
4) Altough even PPF has its limits, it does offer amazing self-healing properties. Minor scratches and swirls magically disappear after 20 minutes in the heat of the sun. No other product on the market can do this.

Reactions: gcmak
I have full PPF and ceramic.....If I had to do it again, I wouldn't. The cost/benefit ratio is not worth it me. On my next car, (fingers crossed it will be a 3P), I will get the front bumper and headlights PPF'd and DIY ceramic coating.
However, my thoughts may be due to fact I went with one of cheaper, closer to home, quotes and job is shoddy, at best.

If you are planning to keep your car for a long time, absolutely do it. My 2012 S still looks brand new, and I get comments all the time. If you tend to trade in or sell after a few years, then it is a tougher $ decision. In ANY event I would ABSOLUTELY get ceramic coating and renew it at the specified intervals. It is a must, and much less expensive over the long run than waxing.