Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF Head and Fog Lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah in WA I needed the rear door covered for sand/rocks. And I similarly went with the North Tint package 3M Pro kit for like $288. Also got Abstract Oceans rear door PPF.

1630456363641.jpeg

1630456411982.jpeg

The facia was a 4 hour pain. Was up until like 12:30 am stretching it but pretty happy with it all. Arm hairs ... no one warns you about the arm hairs.
Actually mades me feel a bit better about putting my hands on the Frunk to close it.
So attempting this as a DIY, checkout bearded Tesla guy on you tube. Decent tips on it going sideways on ya. I think the name of the game is line up, anchor and stretch. The Xpel didn't need to be stretched as much.

Last edited:
I'm not fetishistic about paint chips, bugs, etc. so passed on full PPF. But when the MYP arrived in July I had a local shop Xpel the most vulnerable panels: bumper, headlights, and rear quarters. Then I took a 1600-mile round-trip to FL. The only splatters and other assaults affected...you guessed it...precisely those areas. Zero on the naked hood. I'm glad I did the headlights, which took a beating. In future, I may have the mirrors done.

I'm not fetishistic about paint chips, bugs, etc. so passed on full PPF. But when the MYP arrived in July I had a local shop Xpel the most vulnerable panels: bumper, headlights, and rear quarters. Then I took a 1600-mile round-trip to FL. The only splatters and other assaults affected...you guessed it...precisely those areas. Zero on the naked hood. I'm glad I did the headlights, which took a beating. In future, I may have the mirrors done.
Thanks for the tip. Where are the rear quarters?

Thanks for the tip. Where are the rear quarters?
The normal places -- just the roughly v-shaped areas at the bottom front of the rear wheel wells, where rocks may hit thrown back by the front tires. Xpel and others make two-piece PPF kits for this purpose.

Since my post, I drove round-trip Richmond to NYC. Again, all bugs, rocks, etc. hit the covered areas. I did take a rock on my passenger A-pillar, leaving a small chip a fraction of an inch from my windshield.

I'll pick up the Tesla "paint repair kit," basically Dr. Colorchip. That stuff is good for random small paint chips, not for extensive shotgun road rash, e.g. on a front bumper. It takes forever to cover dozens of tiny chips. It also doesn't work at all for deep scratches. At least that's my experience.