Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF install error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question. I got a text from my PPF installer that there were blemishes and dings on my brand new MY after ppf install that were "probably from transport". I used them from a recommendation from a neighbor but probably should have more vetting. Either way it's Hexis Bodyfence and they said it's on the hood and just sent a pic like this which shows some white spots and what looks like a little gash in the paint.

I accepted delivery on Monday in the rain and it was very difficult to see anything but I didn't see blemishes. Is it common to get damage or blemishes like this during install? Looks like finger prints to me. I just want to know what to say or ask when I get there to pick up if I see a bunch of those. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210916-141701_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210916-141701_Messages.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 223
That one white spot is a finger print or bubble... I think he is trying to take a picture of the scratch above and slightly to the right.

Anyplace I contacted about PPF said they do a full detailing of the car (wash, clay bar, chemical cleaning) before doing the PPF... if your installer didn't notice that scratch before installing he didn't even do a good washdown of the car before he started laying out film. If he DID do a good washdown / inspection he should have contacted you about paint correction before laying film over the problem areas.

Keith

That one white spot is a finger print or bubble... I think he is trying to take a picture of the scratch above and slightly to the right.

Anyplace I contacted about PPF said they do a full detailing of the car (wash, clay bar, chemical cleaning) before doing the PPF... if your installer didn't notice that scratch before installing he didn't even do a good washdown of the car before he started laying out film. If he DID do a good washdown / inspection he should have contacted you about paint correction before laying film over the problem areas.

Keith
Thanks for the quick reply! I pick it up tomorrow. Not much I can do right? They'd have to peel it all off. Would you ask for a discount or rework for a that?

Unless you did a walk through before the install, you will not be able to prove if that blemish was there before or after. Just move on. I also have a residue from bird poop. You really have to look at a certain angle to see it. I just dont think about it.

if u are still before 100miles...just send tesla a ticket to fix this
Not sure it’s worth Tesla applying some touch up paint and buffing it but then having to spend out of pocket $500 to $1000 to have the paint protection film applied again.

I say just love with it, it’s not a huge spot. It’s very unfortunate the shop did such a poor pre-job with the PPF. They should do a very thorough wash of the vehicle and then inspect for stuff like that. Honestly with the tools they have at the ready and that they do this day in and day out, it should take hardly any time to do a bang up job. I would not recommend this shop; either they’re sloppy on preparing the surface and contacting a customer to fix problems before application, or they’re sloppy (and dishonest) and somehow did that while installing. (Personally I don’t think it’s likely they did it. If it was the edge of a body panel where they were cutting film to wrap around maybe, but in the middle of the sheet… that would have to be a big screw up like someone having a ring on while cleaning it or something, and I doubt that happened. They would either not point it out or own up to it, or probably just fix it with touch up paint and hope you never knew.)

Question. I got a text from my PPF installer that there were blemishes and dings on my brand new MY after ppf install that were "probably from transport". I used them from a recommendation from a neighbor but probably should have more vetting. Either way it's Hexis Bodyfence and they said it's on the hood and just sent a pic like this which shows some white spots and what looks like a little gash in the paint.

I accepted delivery on Monday in the rain and it was very difficult to see anything but I didn't see blemishes. Is it common to get damage or blemishes like this during install? Looks like finger prints to me. I just want to know what to say or ask when I get there to pick up if I see a bunch of those. Thanks!
To be honest I'm not sure why your PPF guys texted you. All cars will have some amount of defects in the paint. And it is usually part of the install process to do paint correction before film application. Thus the question is what did the PPF job include? If this tiny defect stops the installers in their tracks... I'd be going somewhere else.

Last edited:
It was a stupid mistake on my part. Took a recco from a friend and just went with it without enough research. Place had good reviews but when I looked into it, it was for tint and not ppf. Ended up looking okay but there were a few more spots with some dust/dirt under it and the tesla logo was reapplied poorly on the hood. I just took the car and left bc I can't see them fixing it. Attached pic which you cant really tell but top right is dirt under the film. Anyone know what tape or glue to re-apply the logo? Measure it back to how it should be?

They also left the car filthy when applying the ppf (definitely wasn't all washed) and left the interior gross when I picked up. They said they'd take care of anything later and to let it dry and come back for anything I need. I might have them take a look.

I'm very disappointed but I'll get over it. Live and learn.

Attachments

• 20210917_165226.jpg
    20210917_165226.jpg
    555.5 KB · Views: 142
It was a stupid mistake on my part. Took a recco from a friend and just went with it without enough research. Place had good reviews but when I looked into it, it was for tint and not ppf. Ended up looking okay but there were a few more spots with some dust/dirt under it and the tesla logo was reapplied poorly on the hood. I just took the car and left bc I can't see them fixing it. Attached pic which you cant really tell but top right is dirt under the film. Anyone know what tape or glue to re-apply the logo? Measure it back to how it should be?

They also left the car filthy when applying the ppf (definitely wasn't all washed) and left the interior gross when I picked up. They said they'd take care of anything later and to let it dry and come back for anything I need. I might have them take a look.

Might be worth going to a more reputable PPF shop and getting a second opinion? They might be willing to work with you, or give you a discount to fix it. I’ve had some luck before getting another installer to give me a discount to fix another shops mistakes. Personally that shop should peel the hood and reapply for free.

You should share the name of that place with us so we as a community in that area can avoid them. This place sounds like they are wholly negligent and unqualified to do the work.

What product did you have installed? I hope you got xpel?

I think that's a good idea to check some other place out or push them. I'll take it back next week if it still looks bad. They put on Hexis Bodyfence, which I can barely find any reviews on. Again, I didn't read up on the PPF brands and benefits and was so stupid to blindly go there. I would have gone with XPEL which is the brand they used for the window tint. My neighbor said Hexis was as good or better (clearly had no idea). When I showed him he was like... oh yeah I just knew it was just a level down from 3M *shoulder shrug*

You guys made me feel alot better about this because I've been sitting agonizing over it.

Still, I took the "Teslaract" out for a longer drive today and had a blast which also helped.

I think that's a good idea to check some other place out or push them. I'll take it back next week if it still looks bad. They put on Hexis Bodyfence, which I can barely find any reviews on. Again, I didn't read up on the PPF brands and benefits and was so stupid to blindly go there. I would have gone with XPEL which is the brand they used for the window tint. My neighbor said Hexis was as good or better (clearly had no idea). When I showed him he was like... oh yeah I just knew it was just a level down from 3M *shoulder shrug*

You guys made me feel alot better about this because I've been sitting agonizing over it.

Still, I took the "Teslaract" out for a longer drive today and had a blast which also helped.
They need to make it right. It’s kinda unbelievable they didn’t catch the scratch, left dirt under the film and finger prints. I took touch up paint to my appointment and they fixed any little imperfection. I waited 4K miles before getting PPF. Should’ve done it sooner. Live and learn.

I would like to comment, but I'm not sure what marks are under the film and what are just dirt on top. Could you point out which areas are the problems in your photos?

My regular installer never does paint correction and my install is perfect every time. Paint correction is very labour intensive, so it's not really required unless you've driven the car already. I always bring my car new to him before I drive it.