Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF Installation Photos - Is This Good?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be very worried those clueless amateurs are going to do more damage taking it off too. I know this is easier said than done but I don't think I would accept just my money back or allow them to remove it. They should pay actual professionals to remove it.

I absolutely agree! And don't let them remove the tint! Let some real professionals have a long good look at it first.

If you installed PPF on your rockers, have them be REALLY careful on the lower portion. Some vehicles appear to have paint which wasn’t properly cured at the factory, such that when PPF is removed it pulls the paint with it. See an example attached.

Attachments

• 5900849B-7F9C-4E7E-BA15-3F0381787B8A.jpeg
    5900849B-7F9C-4E7E-BA15-3F0381787B8A.jpeg
    313.7 KB · Views: 155
Hi, I just picked up my 2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+ from the PPF installer, and Im not sure if this is what I should be expecting. Im not satisfied with this installation.
Is this normal? The shop said that the bubbles will go away on their own after a while. Should I require them to redo?
While it may be true some of those bubbles will work themselves out in a few days (definitely take it up on them if it doesn't, they have tools to fix things if it doesn't, including in worse case, a tool that pricks a tiny hole in the film to let the air out), as others point out they did quite a horrible job on the fitment in general. The film should not be that far away from the edges, especially in places where they have access to fit it over the edges. I'm pretty sure a lot of DIYers have done a better job.

To be fair however, from other threads, for pre-cut kits, most of the time areas with adjoining panels would have an edge left over (takes a lot more skill or may require disassembly of panels to not have that). That's not an excuse however for places where they have easy access to, like for example between the hood and bumper (they can easily have the hood open to make it fit).
PPF proper installation question - not wrapped around edges is normal?

did you check the regional forums to see which PPF installer was the best? I used the installer that was highly recommended by everyone in the Tesla forums and mine didn't have a single bubble after install. Time to do more research on the installers in your area.

did you check the regional forums to see which PPF installer was the best? I used the installer that was highly recommended by everyone in the Tesla forums and mine didn't have a single bubble after install. Time to do more research on the installers in your area.
I did. Someone on the forum did mention this place and they seemed professional.

Also check Yelp. I did some diligence on my installer and it turns out that they do every Porsche that comes out of the dealership next to them. I saw a couple Ferraris and Porsches right on their lot when I went to get it done so I knew they had a ton of experience with high end cars. Good luck finding a better installer.

Looks like you went with the Cheapest installer in your area, glad youre getting your money back
You should always check Yelp for shops in your area and then look at the pictures and read the reviews, I use as well as many here in San Diego Ca. Auto Armour, they do quality work with Xpel, cant even tell the wrap is on. besides they also do high end cars.

Car Detailing Company in San Diego, CA | Auto Armour

Last edited:
Should I have them take down the tint job too. I haven't looked carefully at the tint job. I haven't noticed any apararent issues with the tint job, but now Im wondering if I should have them take that off too. Thoughts?

This is one of the worst jobs I've seen, and why we caution many forum members about some of the clear bra installers out there. Bubbles can be easily fixed, but the rest of the installation is garbage.

I'm sorry you had to go through this atrocious mess, and I do hope they quickly rectify it. If the tint doesn't seem to have issues, I'd leave it on. Assume they're a tint installer, just beginning to offer clear bra maybe?

The price you paid, is not far out of line for what should've been a quality installer cost, on the retail level.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Looks like you went with the Cheapest installer in your area, glad youre getting your money back
You should always check Yelp for shops in your area and then look at the pictures and read the reviews, I use as well as many here in San Diego Ca. Auto Armour, they do quality work with Xpel, cant even tell the wrap is on. besides they also do high end cars.

Car Detailing Company in San Diego, CA | Auto Armour

Thats the one I used. Everyone recommended them and I saw some really high end cars when I visited them. I can't tell its even on!