Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF installer near Frederick, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

240vPlug

Feb 3, 2021
Maryland
All I had my VIN and deliver come on very quickly and I need to find a good PPF installer near Frederick, MD that can get me in quickly. I found one shop that is highly recommended but they are further away and can’t fit me in until the 21st.

Any recommendations? I’m looking for full frontal at minimum.

All I had my VIN and deliver come on very quickly and I need to find a good PPF installer near Frederick, MD that can get me in quickly. I found one shop that is highly recommended but they are further away and can’t fit me in until the 21st.

I've had my Model 3 for a little over a year. Last summer when I researched shops I found two that I can recommend:

1) A Plus Auto Styling in Forest Hill, MD. Their shop is about 90 minutes from here, so it was a long ride. Great shop, great work...I highly recommend them. I had PPF (full frontal, rockers, rear bumper), ceramic coating (over-all) and window tinting. Their web site has a Tesla page with pricing. They do a lot of Tesla's in their shop.

2) All American Paint Protection in Rockville, MD. I've never had my car there but I've heard good things about their shop and service.

Around the same time someone on here posted a horror story about a shop in Howard County.

Choose wisely. A bad PPF/window tinting job is a nightmare to deal with. And costly.

I've had my Model 3 for a little over a year. Last summer when I researched shops I found two that I can recommend:

1) A Plus Auto Styling in Forest Hill, MD. Their shop is about 90 minutes from here, so it was a long ride. Great shop, great work...I highly recommend them. I had PPF (full frontal, rockers, rear bumper), ceramic coating (over-all) and window tinting. Their web site has a Tesla page with pricing. They do a lot of Tesla's in their shop.

2) All American Paint Protection in Rockville, MD. I've never had my car there but I've heard good things about their shop and service.

Around the same time someone on here posted a horror story about a shop in Howard County.

Choose wisely. A bad PPF/window tinting job is a nightmare to deal with. And costly.

Hey we appreciate the kind words!

240vplug, if you can wait until mid-next week, we'd be glad to lock you in our schedule. Its currently a huge Model 3 and Y delivery month so just about every reputable shop is going to be slammed right now. Best bet is to get locked in on someone's books sooner than later verses finding who can do it the quickest. If you can wait until end of next week, we can get you in. Message us if you need any more info! Thanks both of you.

Reactions: 240vPlug
All American Paint Protection is excellent. They're the ones who wrapped and tinted my car. In fact, my profile pic was taken in their "delivery showroom" area when I picked up my car.

Not exactly 'round the corner from Frederick, but should be around 35-40 minutes, non-rush-hour.

Are you saying your car was delivered sooner than you expected? What is a PPF?

No I just expected to have more of a heads up before I had to take delivery. I expected at least a week to 10 days between VIN assignment and delivery. PPF stands for Paint Protection Film which is also known as "clear bra".

So, the hurry is to get it on before the car gets nicks?

Remember before the 3 was out, people would post pictures of the 3 with a decal like the "grill" opening on the S and X? Does anyone do that? I think it would look good.

BTW, did you pick an installer? I guess you need to wait for Monday.

So, the hurry is to get it on before the car gets nicks?

Remember before the 3 was out, people would post pictures of the 3 with a decal like the "grill" opening on the S and X? Does anyone do that? I think it would look good.

BTW, did you pick an installer? I guess you need to wait for Monday.
Yes exactly. I haven't found anyone that can do it fairly soon. Looks like I will have to wait about two weeks or so to get it done...no biggie I have another vehicle to use in the meantime.

All American Paint Protection is excellent. They're the ones who wrapped and tinted my car. In fact, my profile pic was taken in their "delivery showroom" area when I picked up my car.

Not exactly 'round the corner from Frederick, but should be around 35-40 minutes, non-rush-hour.
Can you speak a bit to the costs for external ceramic coating application from this dealer? I am based in Rockville so this would be a convenient location for me to go to.

Can you speak a bit to the costs for external ceramic coating application from this dealer? I am based in Rockville so this would be a convenient location for me to go to.
I would suggest calling, and talking to one of the owners (Brett or Tiffany). I can't give you a price, as I did so much work with them, and it all just got included in the entire package (PPF, tint, ceramic inside and outside). Just note that, if you're going to get work done, you should try scheduling as soon as possible - they're backed up a bit with an influx of cars.

I currently have a brand new M3P (MSM) there getting stealth-wrapped (and tinted / ceramic'd), and then in a week I'll have a new MYP going through similar treatment, but with different wrap color (the new MYP replaces the just-sold Suburban, and the M3P replaces the just-sold MYLR).

There is AP Tinting in Sykesville, MD.

They use 3M and Llumar PPF, as well as others. I had them do my model three with full body PPF and my model Y recently… Much more cost-effective than many other vendors in the area want an $8000 or more.

I’ve also had them do some window tinting and they’ve done a flawless job and they have pretty much every vendors material you could possibly want.

There is AP Tinting in Sykesville, MD.

They use 3M and Llumar PPF, as well as others. I had them do my model three with full body PPF and my model Y recently… Much more cost-effective than many other vendors in the area want an $8000 or more.

I’ve also had them do some window tinting and they’ve done a flawless job and they have pretty much every vendors material you could possibly want.
Do they still do PPF. Someone told me recently they only had LLumar PPF and they require a 50% deposit. Then more recently that they no longer do PPF at all.

I wound up going with A Plus. They did a good job on it which was worth the long drive.

Do they still do PPF. Someone told me recently they only had LLumar PPF and they require a 50% deposit. Then more recently that they no longer do PPF at all.

I wound up going with A Plus. They did a good job on it which was worth the long drive.
They did ask for a deposit upfront and they did use lumor film which is what they use originally on my model three and I had no problems with that at all.

I’m not sure they’re not doing full PPF anymore.

Granted this had been scheduled for a while and my date kept getting rolled back…

I’m in MD and just ordered a MYP. Seems the best options are:

1) A Plus Auto Styling in Forest Hill, MD.

2) All American Paint Protection in Rockville, MD.

I’ll have to give them a call for pricing and how far out they are booking.

How dark do you all recommend going on tinting?

I’m in MD and just ordered a MYP. Seems the best options are:

1) A Plus Auto Styling in Forest Hill, MD.

Two years ago we used A Plus Auto Styling. They did an excellent job for us (PPF, ceramic, window tinting).

Regarding window tinting, I wish we'd gone darker. From memory, the side and rear windows are 45%, windshield 70%. As I mentioned, now wish we'd gone darker.

I remember them saying some customers, including police officers, come in and ask for 5%...which is darker than state law allows.

Reactions: seven costanza

All American has all the tint level samples, so you can get a pretty good idea if you go in and meet with them. With Model Y, the factory back windows are already tinted, so we had our MYP front windows tinted to match. The Model 3 doesn't have tinted side windows at all (well, it's nominal tinting, nothing like model Y), so we had a bit more flexibility with the M3P.

Looking at our invoice for the MYP... we had XPEL Prime XR Plus 20% applied to the front door windows, 70% to the rear door windows and rear back window, and 45% on the sunroof. Oh, and 70% on the windshield.

A plus took care of my MYP. They did excellent work. They have my R1T for full PPF as I write this.

20% is what they did on mine to match back windows. Limit in MD is 35% but never had issue. Even if you get 35% tint it's still questionable due to some tint already in the windows. If you want 100% legal 50% or higher.

Well, I will tell you that AP Tinting in Sikesville is not the company they once were…. When they did the full body, PPF for me this time around, they told me they were using one product and then they used a different product. So basically, they’ve been lying to me about what they used… in addition, they refused to answer my questions about this an email in any capacity.