Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF Installer placed badge incorrectly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I got a full front end Suntek PPF a few months ago and realized the badge was way off center when I put my front plate on. I would like to remove it and place it in its correct place. My installer is closed down due to the Rona and I was hoping to not return to him anyway. Does anyone know the best way to do this? I plan on using fishing line to cut it off but I want to make sure it will come clean where the previous emblem was. He said only use rubbing alcohol on the PPF. Will that do the trick? Sticking it back on is not a problem. Has anyone de-badged with PPF installed? I searched YouTube and this forum and can’t find exactly what I need. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Take some fishing wire or something similar and slide it behind the badge. You’ll need some goo gone for the adhesive residue.
Thanks for the reply.
image.jpg
Goo gone won’t affect the PPF? I didn’t see it until now but my dads is way off too. Lol. Not even close. Now I have 2 to move.

When putting a front emblem on, you shouldn't use your license plate location for the alignment. You need to have the frunk open and use the latch bracket to align the emblem, since that's the middle point. The emblem should be lined up with that and not your front plate.

I've seen a video posted up awhile back that shows this, but I'm not able to find it right now. Try searching for it to use as reference.

This is the reason I left mine off post-PPF.

Same here. Plus I just like the cleaner look :cool:

Reactions: buttnutt
Optimum's T.A.R. Remover is safe on all PPFs. It's an amazing product!
However I think jkoya's suggestion is also a good one, when in doubt contact the manufacturer of the PPF and ask them what to use.

As a PSA: I see damage from people trying to remove their badges quite frequently. Usually they come in with a story that starts something like: "I watched a YouTube video and this guy just using fishing line/string/dental floss/etc. and it came right off, so I did the same but now there are these scratches."
Tread very lightly when attempting this procedure. Make sure the area is warm by doing it on direct sunlight or using a hairdryer. Oftentimes you can just get your fingernail under the edge of the emblem and slowly lift it up, allowing the warmed adhesive to stretch and slowly release. Just go slow and don't force anything. If something doesn't seem right just stop and rethink what's going on.
If you do decide to use a string tool, make sure the area is as clean as you can possibly get it using a soft toothbrush to get any small debris that has stuck to the adhesive. It is this small debris that will cause the scratches I spoke about. Also, when flossing under the emblem, make sure to lift at an upwardly angle as much as possible, not parallel to the panel surface, this again will help to not drag debris against the paint/PPF surface.
A good detailer will do this for you too. It might be worth it to avoid damaging your PPF; think about how expensive that will be to replace.

Good luck!

When putting a front emblem on, you shouldn't use your license plate location for the alignment. You need to have the frunk open and use the latch bracket to align the emblem, since that's the middle point. The emblem should be lined up with that and not your front plate.

I've seen a video posted up awhile back that shows this, but I'm not able to find it right now. Try searching for it to use as reference.

Same here. Plus I just like the cleaner look :cool:
That is exactly right!