Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF Installing 50% Deposit - is this normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

240vPlug

Feb 3, 2021
Maryland
I researched a few different local businesses to have PPF applied to my MYP with an EDD early to mid May. I wound up scheduling with a local business, and they started calling me today asking for a 50% deposit for the work. Almost a full month ahead of time.

I had PPF done about 4 years ago on a different vehicle and never had to place a deposit. I wasn’t too put off until almost exactly two hours later they called back again and left me another voicemail asking me to call as soon as possible.

The place has been in business for 20 years according to their site but the person I spoke with was telling me product names for PPF that didn’t match the LLumar website.

I think I am going to have the work done elsewhere anyway as I want XPEL or 3M.

Gotta agree I go to a business that been in the work for 32 years and I have never had to put a deposit down for future work. only reason I see a business doing this is because they are a very small operation (which in this case avoid them) because they are having you pay for their current installs.

Reactions: 240vPlug
I got full body Suntek PPF on my 2022 MYP and I had to put a 50% deposit down. Most shops here in central Florida all require a deposit in order to book your appointment. That deposit allows shops to order the materials they need and assures the shop you won't cancel on them. I didn't see anything wrong with putting down a deposit.

depending how much work is being done this is alright when dropping off your car.

But a full month in advance?? no way
My thoughts exactly I would have been fine with a deposit at drop off. but then the second call exactly two hours later. It just seems desperate to me and a red flag.

We had a bad experience last year with a contractor who kept a deposit and wouldn't start the job. Thankfully we were able to recover those funds but I don't want to go through that again.

Reactions: SWIPE
I went to Sterling (VA) Window & Tint up by Dulles IAP. No deposit, Owner has a MYP, nice area, top notch work and I can see why some areas would want a deposit because the materials are so expensive.
Some of these places have 2-4 week wait times too.

Attachments

• 92011C08-CE57-4D8C-84A5-417AD07FD085.jpeg
    92011C08-CE57-4D8C-84A5-417AD07FD085.jpeg
    619.3 KB · Views: 59