Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF interfering with Radar Signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fairchild

14S,16 X90,18 3,19 XRvn, 21 Y, 14S. 22 YP, 23 3
Mar 27, 2016
Florida
Tesla is telling me that my PPF is what is causing my radar signal to diminish after about 10 minutes thereby disabling cruise and autopilot. I have had the same PPF on three previous Tesla's with no problem. Anyone else experiencing problems with loss of radar signal after PPR?

They insist that the front bumper on the Y and 3 is different. My ProPaint installer says he has done at least 5-7 Model 3s and Ys with no problems.

Reactions: Lozzy
Thanks. My ProPaint installer has suggested that. Will stop by and have him give the PPF a haircut.
I am also peeling off the reflective T which may also divert the signal.

Y Front.jpg

If those two don't work,
the decal comes off next,
then the PPF
and if that doesn't do it

the bumper comes off next,

and then the front wheels........

Tesla is telling me that my PPF is what is causing my radar signal to diminish after about 10 minutes thereby disabling cruise and autopilot. I have had the same PPF on three previous Tesla's with no problem. Anyone else experiencing problems with loss of radar signal after PPR?

They insist that the front bumper on the Y and 3 is different. My ProPaint installer says he has done at least 5-7 Model 3s and Ys with no problems.
I'm confused. You mention radar in the thread. Do you mean radar or ultrasonic sensors? I initially had trouble with PPF on the sensors, but when they trimmed around them, the problem went away.

SOLUTION1
Removed the reflective T and the black decal and Autopilot is functioning as designed. PPF remains intact.
I suspect it was the reflective T causing the problem.

Y Front.jpg

Back to the naked duck mode.
Duck.jpg

Never the less, I certainly realized how much I missed the autopilot. I actually had to drive. Yuck!

May try the eyebrow
Eyebrow.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
It also could have been 2 layers (PPF and decal) causing the issue--especially with the opaque decal.

Installed the new TESLA eyebrow and thought it looked great with the metallic trim. Surprise. Lost the autopilot again after five minutes.
Apparently, the new computers assess all sensory signals after a few minutes and shut down if there is not a safe signal. Went to my detailer and had the PPF removed from the sensors (they actually look better without the white PPF circle) and damn..... the same problem. The sensors are working better though and picking up things in front of me all the time instead of half the time.

So, hesitatingly started to peel. First removed the chromish trim decal off the eyebrow. So painful, because it looked so good. Voila, everything works as designed. I suspect the metallic-like items are interfering with the radar signal, however, the metallic Tesla emblem is still on and doesn't appear to be interfering. Probably because the radar is located to the right side and off-center.

I have been communicating with the manufacturer and hope to at least get a refund on one of them.
1616093397541.png

What a challenge this has been just to get rid of the duckbill.

Attachments

• 20210314_145610_resized.jpg
    20210314_145610_resized.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 118
  • Funny
Reactions: SkynetT10000
Installed the new TESLA eyebrow and thought it looked great with the metallic trim. Surprise. Lost the autopilot again after five minutes.
Apparently, the new computers assess all sensory signals after a few minutes and shut down if there is not a safe signal. Went to my detailer and had the PPF removed from the sensors (they actually look better without the white PPF circle) and damn..... the same problem. The sensors are working better though and picking up things in front of me all the time instead of half the time.

So, hesitatingly started to peel. First removed the chromish trim decal off the eyebrow. So painful, because it looked so good. Voila, everything works as designed. I suspect the metallic-like items are interfering with the radar signal, however, the metallic Tesla emblem is still on and doesn't appear to be interfering. Probably because the radar is located to the right side and off-center.

I have been communicating with the manufacturer and hope to at least get a refund on one of them. View attachment 645659

What a challenge this has been just to get rid of the duckbill.
The look of the car grows on you. You’ll eventually find duck bill mutilation to be ugly.

The radar will be stopped by anything metallic. (Probably your... nose accessories), The things your detailer would adjust are ULTRASONIC sensors.
The small circles use sound to find objects. The thing behind the mustache uses radio to find objects. Completely different. Don’t waste your time at the detailer.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I both had fleas and tics. The metallic was interfering with the radar and the sensors weren't operating properly because they were covered with PPF.

Took the metallic part off and the autopilot is working fine. Had the sensors trimmed and they are working fine. Platypus no more. Best of both worlds with remaining decal and PPF intact.

Guess, I just miss my Model X. All good.

Attachments

• 20210320_124741_resized.jpg
    20210320_124741_resized.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 20210320_124757_resized.jpg
    20210320_124757_resized.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 20210320_124816_resized (1).jpg
    20210320_124816_resized (1).jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 98
I'm confused. You mention radar in the thread. Do you mean radar or ultrasonic sensors? I initially had trouble with PPF on the sensors, but when they trimmed around them, the problem went away.

hey. i just started having issues on my sensors too. can you show me a picture of what you mean by trimming around the sensors? did you cut the entire ppf out around all the circles? or just specific ones?