Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF is no joke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed that frontal PPF probably offers the best bang for the buck. I would add mirror caps to the list. They take a real beating as well.

The rear bumper might also be worthwhile if you live in or commute to the city and parallel park the car a lot. At that point though, some people may just say "aw hell, just do the whole car."
There is a noticable difference in appearance of the painted vs PPF panels when they are next to each other. I'm not doing the hood for that reason.

Mirror caps are next, will do them myself with scraps or a kit.

There is a noticable difference in appearance of the painted vs PPF panels when they are next to each other. I'm not doing the hood for that reason.

Mirror caps are next, will do them myself with scraps or a kit.
Interesting perspective. A friend of mine had a "clear bra" put on his 2009 135i back when it was new. When the car was clean, it was difficult to tell where the bra ended and raw paint began - and that was with the edge of the film only a few inches up the hood. When the car was dirty, the dust telegraphed where the film ended. But now with full panels being covered in film, I wouldn't think you'd be able to tell much unless you were really looking for it - at least with pedestrian paint like Tesla.

Interesting perspective. A friend of mine had a "clear bra" put on his 2009 135i back when it was new. When the car was clean, it was difficult to tell where the bra ended and raw paint began - and that was with the edge of the film only a few inches up the hood. When the car was dirty, the dust telegraphed where the film ended. But now with full panels being covered in film, I wouldn't think you'd be able to tell much unless you were really looking for it - at least with pedestrian paint like Tesla.
Noticable with metallic paint, both red and silver.

On my Y, I did the entire front including fenders and A pillars. On my S, I did the entire car. On my 3, I did nothing. The Y I always regretted not doing the entire car and the person who bought it did the rest of the car. All my cars are white.

I did the entire S because I organized a group buy and it was worth it. If pay 6-7k to do it, it is definitely not worth doing it, especially on a cheaper car like the Y/3. On my S it has helped a lot. If I had just done high wear areas, on the white I'd have a seam of dirt and that would annoy me a lot even though I am not OCD.

The Y with its massive snout was saved from a huge beating based on the impacts of the PPF. The S has seen a lot of highway miles and based on the windshield glass, has had its nose well protected by the PPF.

I hate to say it but the 3 is more of a beater car. It is a daily driver and sees more in town use than highway and the paint is holding up pretty well on it. I'd likely never PPF a Tesla again to be totally honest unless it was a Roadster. Unless you have OCD, or get a serious deal on PPF or do it yourself, I don't think it is likely worth it for most people's situation.

So for me, under 5k on an S/X it is worth it. On a 3/Y, any stone chips aren't likely to devalue the car enough to really matter. Same applies to the S/X but the pristine finish would help move the car faster for picky buyers with more disposable income. I'd also add that mudflaps, even though less than great looking, are probably the best bang for the buck.

If doing hard launches, the flaps and PPF where rocks get kicked up will help a lot. YMMV.

I agonized way too much over this when I bought my first Tesla. Yes, the paint isn't as good as any of my other cars but PPF is likely overkill. I am very happy with who did my PPF install and tinting in Dallas.

That sounds exotic for sure. Post a picture please.
Sure! This right after the wrap:
1E2E73C7-AB16-41C6-A44B-32CD8A8C19C2.jpeg