Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF noticable for just the front bumper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been contacting different PPF installer for different quotes. Looking to just get the front bumper covered in PPF. One finally for back to me and suggested a full front PPF so the edges aren't noticeable with just the front/partial.

I can see that being true if I were to cover HALF of the front where it stops mid way up the hood but don't see it being a issue if it's just the front bumper.

Anyone have just front bumper PPF?

I've been contacting different PPF installer for different quotes. Looking to just get the front bumper covered in PPF. One finally for back to me and suggested a full front PPF so the edges aren't noticeable with just the front/partial.

I can see that being true if I were to cover HALF of the front where it stops mid way up the hood but don't see it being a issue if it's just the front bumper.

Anyone have just front bumper PPF?

Depends on the colour of your car. For a white car, I would agree with your installer because the PPF is a bit yellow, despite the warranties that they all provide. My own Model 3 is white, so I know. For any other colour, it is not an issue whatsoever. I also have a blue X which is partially wrapped and the PPF doesn't show whatsoever.

But I think the bigger issue is that there is no point to just wrap the front bumper. The hood is just as vulnerable to rock chips. I would do a full front as long as your car is NOT white.

Reactions: outdoors
Depends on the colour of your car. For a white car, I would agree with your installer because the PPF is a bit yellow, despite the warranties that they all provide. My own Model 3 is white, so I know. For any other colour, it is not an issue whatsoever. I also have a blue X which is partially wrapped and the PPF doesn't show whatsoever.

But I think the bigger issue is that there is no point to just wrap the front bumper. The hood is just as vulnerable to rock chips. I would do a full front as long as your car is NOT white.

It really depends on the material being used as far as the yellowing is concerned. The higher end manufacturer and shop will replace the clear bra if it yellows, How you take care of the PPF is also a factor. Using a cleaner or polish that is petroleum based will yellow the film and void all warranties.

as far as edges on a white car, most shops can roll the edges to hide the edges. the front bumper can not be fully edge free because of the complexity of the bumper and the limitations of the film. A great way to eliminate the dirt and dust to accumulate in the edges and seams is to ceramic coat the bumper with professional grade coating after install.

Car is white. Every day I regret not changing the color to msm bah

Last edited:
I had the full front end done in Denver as well as tinting of the front windows for $1850 I believe. When I talked to the shop about modifying what was covered, it was clear this was kind of a package deal, bumper, full hood, a-pillars, rear bumper ledge, mirrors, headlights, fog lights, and handles. The cost to go from full wrap of the fronk to say mid-wrap was negligible. Same deal if I didn't do the a-pillars, or headlights. A lot of the PPF cost I understand is in the prep that must be done which is why the cost did not change much. I have a red MY and the PPF isn't noticeable at all.

I would definitely include the hood. Every Tesla hood I’ve had has been a chip magnet.

I would go even further and suggest the OP should only bother protecting the metalwork and not bother with the plastic front bumper cover (aka fascia)

If the fascia gets damaged:
1) Zero chance of rust or corrosion
2) It is replaceable by Tesla in about 20 minutes at a cost of around US $1,100
3) A body shop can repaint it for around $400.

I've come to the viewpoint that protecting the fascia isn't good economics, and when our front one was replaced last year, we didn't bother replacing the PPF on it.

I had the full front end done in Denver as well as tinting of the front windows for $1850 I believe. When I talked to the shop about modifying what was covered, it was clear this was kind of a package deal, bumper, full hood, a-pillars, rear bumper ledge, mirrors, headlights, fog lights, and handles. The cost to go from full wrap of the fronk to say mid-wrap was negligible. Same deal if I didn't do the a-pillars, or headlights. A lot of the PPF cost I understand is in the prep that must be done which is why the cost did not change much. I have a red MY and the PPF isn't noticeable at all.

Tint AND full front PPF for $1850? The quote i got was $1880 for just full front PPF....no tint

Car is white. So will ppf whole front be noticeable?

This is a great deal! Where'd you have the work done?

I did the front bumper only and regret not doing the hood at the same time. Now I have several scratches on the hood where rocks coming from trucks on the highway have bounced off the hood and left scratches in the paint where PPF would probably have protected it. The lower angle of the front end makes rocks a lot more likely to skip off the road and hit the hood and then strike the windshield. I also have a crack in the windshield and multiple chips in the glass from rocks riding up the hood. The Y is a little higher, but the slope of the hood will lead to rocks hitting it more than the higher profile of an ICE car.

Thanks for posting your opinion. I've been thinking about getting PPF on my front and have held out so far.

I think someone used white plastidip before a trip and it worked well. It was cheap, effective, and removable.

I would go even further and suggest the OP should only bother protecting the metalwork and not bother with the plastic front bumper cover (aka fascia)

If the fascia gets damaged:
1) Zero chance of rust or corrosion
2) It is replaceable by Tesla in about 20 minutes at a cost of around US $1,100
3) A body shop can repaint it for around $400.

I've come to the viewpoint that protecting the fascia isn't good economics, and when our front one was replaced last year, we didn't bother replacing the PPF on it.

I have a msm model y and put on 3M pro ppf myself The hood is only partial and it only really stands out is when the car is dirty and the dirt accumulates on the edge of the ppf. Do I wish I had the whole hood covered, yes but it's not that bad imo. What I would highly suggest is some ceramic coating or good wax job. After I put on the ppf I waited over a week before washing and prepping the car to do the ceramic coating. The day before a bird crapped on my car at work and when I got it home I cleaned it off right away. It looked ok till the next morning. After I washed the car I brought it into the garage and noticed a round spot where the bird crap was. I tried a couple of different rubbing compounds/polishes and nothing fully removed the stain. I finally gave up and just finished coating the car. I'll admit you have to be looking at it at the right angle to see it now but I know it's there. I've had bird crap on other cars for days and never stained this bad. Makes me wonder if they even wax the car at all at the factory. Maybe the birds were just eating good that day (there's a white castle not too far away from work :))