Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF on Hood and Front Bumper vs Ceramic Coat the Whole Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should get my black M3 in two weeks and am trying to decide which of the above options is the better use of limited funds. (Full wrap is out of the question.) Have read some of the previous forum posts about PPF and coatings but would appreciate fresh input on this. Local options for PPF are Xpel Ultimate and for ceramic, Ceramic Pro, Gyeon, Crystal Serum (last two the same?), and Opti-Coat Pro.
1. Can you see the Xpel edge if you only partially wrap the hood?
2. Can you see a difference between wrapped and unwrapped panels (e.g., hood is wrapped but fender is not)?
3. Can you wrap partially this year and then extend the wrap and/or apply ceramic coating next year?
4. Can you coat this year and then wrap next year?
5. Any thoughts on which coating is best?
6. Buy the partial wrap job but then coat it myself?
7. Not worry about any of it and just wash the car as is?
Thanks!

I got my entire front hood, side fenders, lights and side mirrors wrapped and then Ceramic Pro Gold over the PPF and rest of the car. I really like how it turned out. I would recommend getting the entire hood wrapped since you can see the line where it ends and later down the road dirt will start to accumulate around that line and will be even more noticeable. You can hardly see the edge of the PPF unless you look really close. People can’t even tell if your have PPF unless they really inspect your car up close. Since your Model 3 is black make sure you take it to a reputable shop that really knows how to do paint correction do get rid of any swirl marks and imperfections on your car. Black looks amazing if done right with Ceramic Coat.

Reactions: rossa and cwoernle
Mine just had a PPF (XPEL Ultimate) on front half, mirrors, etc, by Gulf Coast Auto Shield in Houston. GC also tinted windows (75 front and 35 elsewhere). While the photos appear dark the front windshield does not look tinted from the inside. They have the ability to cut interior wraps. The center console is XPEL satin black.

Tomorrow it is receiving nano ceramic coating on all of the paint to ward off birds, etc. by David Soleto in Houston.

I decided to do both because they do different things. PPF offers more protection from rocks but it’s not my impression it’s main duty is to make the vehicle easier to clean, glossy, etc. I figure the nano ceramic will be a “super wax” and provide some minor protection for the rear end, at least for road ick.

Attachments

• 7E741E51-7B7E-415B-ACBB-E0037617CC16.jpeg
    7E741E51-7B7E-415B-ACBB-E0037617CC16.jpeg
    758.6 KB · Views: 628
  • D29D8760-F7F6-44C2-B4BD-51B5B39D2FBE.jpeg
    D29D8760-F7F6-44C2-B4BD-51B5B39D2FBE.jpeg
    372.1 KB · Views: 501
  • 7542C613-6E1E-4364-9AB2-74D2D1D8510B.jpeg
    7542C613-6E1E-4364-9AB2-74D2D1D8510B.jpeg
    634.4 KB · Views: 468
  • A7FD17BE-B7E6-4734-9ADC-F0D7FEC1BE88.jpeg
    A7FD17BE-B7E6-4734-9ADC-F0D7FEC1BE88.jpeg
    566.7 KB · Views: 509
I got my entire front hood, side fenders, lights and side mirrors wrapped and then Ceramic Pro Gold over the PPF and rest of the car. I really like how it turned out. I would recommend getting the entire hood wrapped since you can see the line where it ends and later down the road dirt will start to accumulate around that line and will be even more noticeable. You can hardly see the edge of the PPF unless you look really close. People can’t even tell if your have PPF unless they really inspect your car up close. Since your Model 3 is black make sure you take it to a reputable shop that really knows how to do paint correction do get rid of any swirl marks and imperfections on your car. Black looks amazing if done right with Ceramic Coat.

I agree with JohnC, you need to get PPF and then ceramic on top on the front at least. You can apply the ceramic coating only on the sides, no PPF needed. Black paint needs all the help it can get to look amazing. Lots of videos on youtube about ceramic coatings vs untreated surface and how it affects dirt and washing.

Reactions: cwoernle
Should get my black M3 in two weeks and am trying to decide which of the above options is the better use of limited funds. (Full wrap is out of the question.) Have read some of the previous forum posts about PPF and coatings but would appreciate fresh input on this. Local options for PPF are Xpel Ultimate and for ceramic, Ceramic Pro, Gyeon, Crystal Serum (last two the same?), and Opti-Coat Pro.
1. Can you see the Xpel edge if you only partially wrap the hood?
2. Can you see a difference between wrapped and unwrapped panels (e.g., hood is wrapped but fender is not)?
3. Can you wrap partially this year and then extend the wrap and/or apply ceramic coating next year?
4. Can you coat this year and then wrap next year?
5. Any thoughts on which coating is best?
6. Buy the partial wrap job but then coat it myself?
7. Not worry about any of it and just wash the car as is?
Thanks!
1. On a black car you will probably notice the line more than lighter color cars
2. No
3. Yes, but the wrap protects against chips/scratches so you will be vulnerable until the wrap is on. Ceramic coating is more like a permanent wax that offers a small amount of protection
4. I would do the reverse, you want the wrap underneath the coat, as the coat is really for gloss
6. This is what I did, although I used car pro hydro2 (sealant rather than a coating), which is super easy to install yourself. It doesn’t last as long (about 6 months), but gives the car a similar effect to ceramic coating. All you do is spray it on and wash it off (but make sure to dry well with microfiber towels). You can buy a bottle of the concentrated hydro 2, which is enough to last for many years. Watch the videos on YouTube about installing ceramic coatings, it takes a long time and if you mess up it could cause semi-permanent streaks or spots, which will be very noticeable on a black car.
7. This is more of a personal preference. The coatings/ppf probably won’t help with resale much, but it will make the car look nice while you own it. I plan on keeping the car for a very long time, so for me the peace of mind was worth the price of ppf.

Reactions: cwoernle and Dana1
6. This is what I did, although I used car pro hydro2 (sealant rather than a coating), which is super easy to install yourself. It doesn’t last as long (about 6 months), but gives the car a similar effect to ceramic coating. All you do is spray it on and wash it off (but make sure to dry well with microfiber towels). You can buy a bottle of the concentrated hydro 2, which is enough to last for many years. Watch the videos on YouTube about installing ceramic coatings, it takes a long time and if you mess up it could cause semi-permanent streaks or spots, which will be very noticeable on a black car.

@cpj777 did you apply the hydro2 to the PPF also? I wonder if a paint sealant on top of PPF creates a different look compared with the sealant on painted, unwrapped surfaces. I gather from others' replies total car ceramic coatings don't create a different look between wrapped and unwrapped portions.

CWOERNLE:
Here is my two sense based on a long conversation with a few very reputable shops out here in San Diego. I recently configured an AWD Model 3 and am considering PPF (expel ultimate), Ceramic Coating (cquartz finest reserve), and tint.
I have visited multiple shops in the area and the most consistent advice I have been given is:

1. Paint Protection Film is the most important if your on a budget. The entire car will be too expensive at 6-7k. Full front with expel ultimate to include the bumper, hood, front fenders, door handles and luggage area will cost between $1750-$2k. Another hot spot on the car are the rocker panels. To get those wrapped with PPF it will cost another $400.

2. If you used PPF and are considering ceramic coating the two best products offered out here are Cquartz finest reserve with a 3 year warranty and Feynlab's self healing plus ceramic coating (7 year warranty). Take those warranties for what they are worth but Cquartz will cost you around $2500 and Feynlab self healing plus will cost $3k. Most companies in San Diego have stopped applying both Cquartz and Feynlab on top of the PPF because the hardening properties of the ceramic coating are interfering with the self healing properties of the PPF when applied on top of it. The paint protection film has a specific coating that is meant to be applied on top of it but is only warrantied for 1 year. I like the idea of ceramic coating but you have to decide if it is worth paying that much money for it to only have it applied to half of the vehicle. Remember, the ceramic coating is not applied to windows or on top of the paint protection film which only leaves the doors and back end paint areas. This would make sense since ceramic coating was designed to bind to paint...and not to glass or PPF.

I am struggling with the decision myself as to whether or not it is worth it to get the coating. If the top of the vehicle was painted like most other vehicles the decision would be easier for me. I hope this helps.

I did this on my Midnight Silver Metallic M3:

1) XPEL PPF only on bumper, mirrors, and headlights for $650.
2) Paint correction and ceramic Opti-Coat on the hood and rest of car for $450.

Being my daily commuter, I'm doing about 60 miles per day, and catching lots of bugs, tar, and stones in the big front bumper scoop. No worries, as it's an easy wash off with no damage. The angle of the hood has been able to deflect any debris, and so far the ceramic properties have provided protection. Moreover, the shine continues to last with less dirt build up, and its an easy wash with Optimum No Rinse two bucket method every 2-3 weeks.

• Informative
I did this on my Midnight Silver Metallic M3:

1) XPEL PPF only on bumper, mirrors, and headlights for $650.
2) Paint correction and ceramic Opti-Coat on the hood and rest of car for $450.

Being my daily commuter, I'm doing about 60 miles per day, and catching lots of bugs, tar, and stones in the big front bumper scoop. No worries, as it's an easy wash off with no damage. The angle of the hood has been able to deflect any debris, and so far the ceramic properties have provided protection. Moreover, the shine continues to last with less dirt build up, and its an easy wash with Optimum No Rinse two bucket method every 2-3 weeks.
Does the Xpel section look any different, e.g., gloss, etc. compared with the Opti-Coat sections?

@cpj777 did you apply the hydro2 to the PPF also? I wonder if a paint sealant on top of PPF creates a different look compared with the sealant on painted, unwrapped surfaces. I gather from others' replies total car ceramic coatings don't create a different look between wrapped and unwrapped portions.

I applied the sealant to both the painted and the PPF parts of the car. I couldn't tell the difference between the painted parts and the PPF parts (both before and after the sealant was applied).

• Helpful
I configured my AWD 3 and I am planning to PPF the front bumper, headlights, hood, and side mirrors. I will likely be doing a lot of freeway driving and I think this will provide a reasonable level of protection. Interested in Opti-Coat but I can't justify that additional cost on top of the PPF and tinting.

I have 2018 MX P100DL since it is a pricey car, I got XPEL Ultimate Plus PPF the whole car for $5,000 and Ceramic Coat whole car including windows glass and wheels for $1000. I like to keep the car looks like showroom new and do not need to waxing or deep cleaning jobs. I plan to keep this car for long time maybe over 10 years. Hope this stuffs last.

Mine just had a PPF (XPEL Ultimate) on front half, mirrors, etc, by Gulf Coast Auto Shield in Houston. GC also tinted windows (75 front and 35 elsewhere). While the photos appear dark the front windshield does not look tinted from the inside. They have the ability to cut interior wraps. The center console is XPEL satin black.

Tomorrow it is receiving nano ceramic coating on all of the paint to ward off birds, etc. by David Soleto in Houston.

I decided to do both because they do different things. PPF offers more protection from rocks but it’s not my impression it’s main duty is to make the vehicle easier to clean, glossy, etc. I figure the nano ceramic will be a “super wax” and provide some minor protection for the rear end, at least for road ick.

I'm in Houston also and had my side windows tinted by GC. What is their cost for PPF on where you had it done? I've sent emails asking for quote on that and didn't get replies.

I'm also curious why you didn't also get your ceramic coat done by GC.

I'm in Houston also and had my side windows tinted by GC. What is their cost for PPF on where you had it done? I've sent emails asking for quote on that and didn't get replies.

I'm also curious why you didn't also get your ceramic coat done by GC.
GC did my PPF at the same time. I’d already committed to ceramic with Soleto. I found both to be excellent craftsmen.