Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Chad Schwitters, the former president of Plug In America, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

PPF on my car when delivered.

Hi guys. So I just picked up my new Model S on Saturday and took ut to my detailer to get PPF and some other goodies. However I noticed that it had PPF installed from factory already on the side mirrors and the front bumper. I asked in a Norwegian group and 2 people who newly just picked up their Model X´s also told me they think it is PPF on their cars as standard. Does someone know anything? Very nice imo. I asked my friend who works at Tesla and he had no clue.

what is the going rate for Xpel for half hood and front bumper [ I read here that those are most prone to damage ]
or just any ballpark figure for you guys over on the west coast

the entire front clear bra?

I think the entire front was front bumper + hood + front side fenders + Mirrors. ~ 1100 - 1500 dollars for Xpel Ultimate.
Its very YMMV depending on installer and how long they warranty it.

I dont think they will half hood it.
I personally wouldnt, it would look very ugly IMO.

Stealth cost a bit more too, if you want stealth.

the entire front clear bra?

I think the entire front was front bumper + hood + front side fenders + Mirrors. ~ 1100 - 1500 dollars for Xpel Ultimate.
Its very YMMV depending on installer and how long they warranty it.

I dont think they will half hood it.
I personally wouldnt, it would look very ugly IMO.

Stealth cost a bit more too, if you want stealth.
Thank you so much ! Like many here, this is my first $30K plus car, and I am planning to keep the car for as long it lasts.
but there are not a whole lot of shops doing this kind of work here. I might have to go to boston.
I would want to do the whole hood + front bumper + mirrors. Side fenders I Am not sure about but happy to take more feedback if those are problem areas for cars

what is the diff b/w Xpel and Xpel Ultimate vs Stealth ??

I haven't seen regular Xpel... Installers usually have Ultimate and Stealth.

Ultimate is clear, so the color of your car comes out.
The better the film, the less orange peal like texture, will show.

Stealth is like making your car into Satan, or Matte, as we call it, look.
You typically dont want to do stealth on a partial. It will make your car look real bad.

You can look for images on google.
But mostly for a full frontal only, you probably want it in Ultimate.

I was going to put on STEK PPF on the full front but decided to only take the hood and side fenders because the car already has PPF on the rest from factory. I also put PPF on the car "hips". Although I am not 100% sure it is PPF on the front bumper and mirrors I am pretty sure. 2-3 people I have talked with have said the same. I will check with my cousin who has a 263*** vin.

Yesterday I was at home mounting new pedals, lights etc. And decided to check about the PPF. It feels like PPF and I can see the lines where the PPF stops almost everywhere on the bumper and mirrors. A friend told me that may be a edge from the paint but it cant be as else it would look ugly. Also my December 2017 Model S did not have these lines. I checked under my front bumper and it seemed like this PPF was not properly wrapped around the edge so I tok a squeegee and made the lines disappear.

I will try to post some pics of the edges later.

I haven't seen regular Xpel... Installers usually have Ultimate and Stealth.

Ultimate is clear, so the color of your car comes out.
The better the film, the less orange peal like texture, will show.

Stealth is like making your car into Satan, or Matte, as we call it, look.
You typically dont want to do stealth on a partial. It will make your car look real bad.

You can look for images on google.
But mostly for a full frontal only, you probably want it in Ultimate.
thanks for that, I will have multicoat pearl white, so stealth is definitely not the correct option
I ll have to see Ultimate

are there other mfg products as well like 3M may be makes kits, I heard ?

7/10 installs say 3m is garbage, and they refuse to use it.

Its over priced and turns orange really fast.

The top tier PPF that i have learned is nanofusion and xpel.
I have had 2 installers litterally argue on what is better with some saying NF is the ultimate, while others saying Xpel has better endurance.

I have seen both, and on a dark colored car, both looks good, however on a white or blue car, i believe possibly NF might look better as it seems to have a clearer look.

Suntek was told to me that its a bargain option incase one can't afford Xpel.
Something one would possibly want to do on a car that is either leased, or your going to trade in soon.

Either way i have full coverage Xpel on my P100D.
It has saved me a few times, my dog has jumped up on my car, and what normally would of been scratched due to her claws, it was saved by xpel.

I also live in a dense metro area, which undergoes a lot of construction, and have had tiny pebbles thrown at it from the car in front, and so far no damage is seen on the PPF.

I went though a reputable authorized installer, so i also have the full warranty on the film and the work as well.
The total price on it was enough to put down on a luxury car, but i intend to keep my P100D for a while, until another sub 3 second 4 door sedan comes out.... :p

• Informative
Reactions: iCharge
7/10 installs say 3m is garbage, and they refuse to use it.

Its over priced and turns orange really fast.

The top tier PPF that i have learned is nanofusion and xpel.
I have had 2 installers litterally argue on what is better with some saying NF is the ultimate, while others saying Xpel has better endurance.

I have seen both, and on a dark colored car, both looks good, however on a white or blue car, i believe possibly NF might look better as it seems to have a clearer look.

Suntek was told to me that its a bargain option incase one can't afford Xpel.
Something one would possibly want to do on a car that is either leased, or your going to trade in soon.

Either way i have full coverage Xpel on my P100D.
It has saved me a few times, my dog has jumped up on my car, and what normally would of been scratched due to her claws, it was saved by xpel.

I also live in a dense metro area, which undergoes a lot of construction, and have had tiny pebbles thrown at it from the car in front, and so far no damage is seen on the PPF.

I went though a reputable authorized installer, so i also have the full warranty on the film and the work as well.
The total price on it was enough to put down on a luxury car, but i intend to keep my P100D for a while, until another sub 3 second 4 door sedan comes out.... :p
wow !! Thanks for all that information, that is very helpful.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC