TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

PPF on side mirrors question

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by i.am.aj, Dec 2, 2019 at 1:30 PM.

1. i.am.aj

i.am.aj Member

The shop I'm currently talking to about PPF says they cannot wrap the side view mirrors in 1 piece. For those with PPF, are your mirrors wrapped with a single piece of PPF or 2?

2. UWGorilla

UWGorilla Member

If the shop uses precut which for my vehicle most of the pieces were, then it is two-piece for XPEL. They can wrap the paint portion in one go if hand cut however.

3. JDWL

JDWL Member

Mine is wrapped with 1 piece

4. Dwhumans

Dwhumans Member

PPF on my mirrors are hand-cut, one piece

5. Wennfred

Wennfred Supporting Member

This is the inside portion of the mirror, the side that faces the window, as you can see the line it’s cut around 1/4 inch around it. Also the bottom front of the aluminum is PPF also.

34A802C9-D3F9-4C06-90C6-62F30C6CB696.jpeg 4B1EA05D-6B4F-4201-8DAC-48621FC94230.jpeg

6. Wennfred

So the whole front and outer side is fully protected, One piece but does not cover the inside or area facing the window.

Fred

7. i.am.aj

i.am.aj Member

This is making me hesitant to spend $5500 for xpel stealth with that line there...anyone have xpel stealth and the 2 piece wrap on the side mirrors that they can post a picture of?

8. Wennfred

You can’t even tell, I just saw it when it was mentioned on here, I thought it was a complete wrap too, that’s Xpel also. $5500.00 is great deal if it’s a full wrap, it’s $7000.00 here.

Fred

9. i.am.aj

i.am.aj Member

Ohhh. Sorry to bring it to your attention! Appreciate the pictures btw!

10. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

#10 SMAlset, Dec 2, 2019 at 8:31 PM
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 8:36 PM
    Mine is wrapped in one piece. My installer has a lot of years installing PPF and working on Teslas and a little while before I got my car he had started doing it as one piece. Has to be stretched just right and can be tricky. My husband's car was done about a year and half before mine and is two pieces--in clear Xpel like Wennfred's. They did a nice job on it but one piece would be preferred if it can be done well. If they run into a problem with the stretching you'll have a pucker and it will have to be redone if it can't be adjusted to lay flat.

11. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

My side mirror wrap has a seam. It's subtle and hasn't been a problem.

12. i.am.aj

i.am.aj Member

Just talked to the PPF shop and I gave him the feedback. He's going to have his installer test doing it in one piece on the owners cars. Either way it sounds like it's not a big deal.

13. sandiegogreg

sandiegogreg Member

I have one piece Xpel. No issues and looks clean. I really think it depends on installer experience. Pre-cut kits are easier to install I think, but having seams doesn’t look great IMO. Same with rear window tint. Many installers do two piece jobs. Less expensive, but has a seam.

• Like x 1
  14. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

My mirrors are wrapped in 1 piece of Clearguard Nano SR. Full frontal with the only pre-cut pieces being the head and fog lights. You can see a small stone hit in the 2nd photo on the lower front edge:

53536289-589C-431A-8FE8-6DDBBD06FF49.jpeg

B307E388-2C71-4250-ADCD-D2D8C9DC7B6B.jpeg

2EE458C8-F069-4960-BC8A-C2612C31973B.jpeg

• Love x 1
  15. KenC

KenC Active Member

It can be 1-piece, but it requires alot of stretching, as you can imagine.

16. Adam3

Adam3 Member

My Xpel Ultimate is face of mirror only. Installer wrapped all other edges so I don't think he did this to cut corners. I assumed the thicker Ultimate was too difficult to apply full coverage in one piece.

17. ac_sj

ac_sj Member

could you share your installer info? Thx

18. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

Sent PM. Done by SS Customs in Redwood City, one of our Vendors here.