Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF on White Model 3 - Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have good experience with a particular paint protection film on a pearl white vehicle? I like the idea of the film for protection but I’m concerned about any yellowing due to UV exposure. I’ve searched for information on this and other forums but most results are from a couple years ago and ppf vendors claim to have updated their films to avoid yellowing since then. I’d appreciate hearing about any recent experiences good or bad, or other insight folks can share. Thanks.

Does anyone have good experience with a particular paint protection film on a pearl white vehicle? I like the idea of the film for protection but I’m concerned about any yellowing due to UV exposure. I’ve searched for information on this and other forums but most results are from a couple years ago and ppf vendors claim to have updated their films to avoid yellowing since then. I’d appreciate hearing about any recent experiences good or bad, or other insight folks can share. Thanks.

I have ppf on a solid white Model X, and on a white Q5 prior. No issue with either. Audi for 4 years and MX for around 2.

Xpel is what I had for both. Audi baked for 4 years in the SoCal sun as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Amp3d and P85_DA
I also have PPF (3M Scotchgard) on my Pearl White Model 3. Had it for 3 weeks now, no issues. It's virtually invisible.

If you plan on doing the front bumper, I would also consider doing the entire hood instead of partial, since there will be a visible line/seam and over time dirt can accumulate if you don't wash your car often.

Hope this helps! I've added some pics.

1.jpg
IMG_4113.jpg
IMG_4114.jpg
IMG_4116.jpg

I also have PPF (3M Scotchgard) on my Pearl White Model 3. Had it for 3 weeks now, no issues. It's virtually invisible.

If you plan on doing the front bumper, I would also consider doing the entire hood instead of partial, since there will be a visible line/seam and over time dirt can accumulate if you don't wash your car often.

View attachment 327054 View attachment 327055 View attachment 327056 View attachment 327057

Elegant, simple, tasteful and a little different than another white Model 3 on the road. LOVE IT.

• Love
Reactions: follow.johnny

View attachment 327054 View attachment 327055 View attachment 327056 View attachment 327057
Looks nice.

Did you have to get replacement T badges to put back on after PPF? Did you get them from your service center? How much do they cost?

Looks nice.

Did you have to get replacement T badges to put back on after PPF? Did you get them from your service center? How much do they cost?

Thanks! And they used the original - the shop carefully removed it with fishing line and added new adhesive on the emblem.
No issues after having it for 1 month in hot 90+ degree weather in SoCal

• Informative
Reactions: TonyPham and O Dub
Yellowing of PPF usually occurs because the wrong sealant or wax was used. Just make sure you use after care products approved by the PPF manufacturer and that are deemed safe for PPF. For example, Xpel says on their website to avoid using products the contain kerosene, naphtha (sp?), or petroleum distillates.

Reactions: MXWing
@Amp3d Your concern is definitely valid. PPF yellowing is definitely still a thing, but usually on lower grade films that have not innovated since a couple years ago. PPF has come a long way in the last 3-5 years, even in the last year it has improved! Thankfully high quality films don't seem to have this issue anymore, and most quality films even warranty against yellowing. If you're using a reputable shop that is using XPEL/Suntek/STEK I wouldn't worry about yellowing!

-Kevin

Reactions: MXWing

Wow, very nice. How did they manage the edges ? Did they wrap the foil around it, or did they cut it very close to the edge ?