TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

PPF or Ceramaic Coating - Choose One?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Viv ki Bijli, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Viv ki Bijli

Viv ki Bijli Member

What would you chose if budget is an issue and you afford one of them . Assuming price is same both of them.

I am loooking at suggestion based on durability and value for money.

2. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

PPF

• Helpful x 1
  3. Viv ki Bijli

Viv ki Bijli Member

Thanks. Only negative, I have been told is about PPF taking original paint with when it is taken out after 4-5 years?

What do you think?

4. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

That is absolutely not true. PPF can be removed at any time in a clean fashion. There is a method to removing it but it definitely doesn't pull your paint off with it.

• Like x 2
  5. imjd

imjd Member

I’m going for PPF as Well and I would hardly recommend it. I’ve spent numerous hours reaserching about it and talked to many owners who had it done. But I don’t think ceramic coating and PPF are in the same price range.

Ceramic is good for keeping your car like glossy and clean most of the time where as PPF is self healing film which protects the paint.

6. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

Not all PPF is self healing I believe. The old good, better and best.

7. imjd

imjd Member

I should have clarified I’m not the best judge on PPF, the one I’m getting is self healing. I’m getting the Xpel Ultimate of Stealth. Haven’t decided which one out of these two.

8. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

Any suggestions about where any of this can be done in the GTA?

9. thesteve

thesteve Member

If you get stealth just an FYI you will need custom install not template it’s usually a lot more $ as they have cut it by hand so no edges show. If you get standard precut then you’ll see shiny paint on the edges where the ppf doesn’t cover. I’ve had ultimate on my Q7 and I don’t love the edges either but not noticeable unless close up. I’ll be getting stealth custom so there’s no exposed edges.

I’m getting mine done with Smartdetail.ca. He’s done a few of my cars and it looks great. Here’s some of my Q7 with ultimate and opticoat pro done with smart detail;
    Dropbox - IMG_0659.jpg
    Dropbox - IMG_0661.jpg
    Dropbox - IMG_0664.jpg

• Helpful x 1
  10. rainforest

rainforest Member

PPF. Coating just helps dirt fall off easier, but PPF is a far stronger barrier against rocks and scratches.

• Like x 1
  11. Astraviel

Astraviel Member

Keep in mind that even with PPF, if you have a rock chip it may still not heal and the chip on the PPF will be visible. So if you care about the appearance of your car currently, then the PPF, usually just the front, will still need to be replaced at your discretion. The paint underneath will still be pristine.

12. thesteve

thesteve Member

Just an update. Just got mine back after dropping it off on Wednesday. Was originally going to do full xpel stealth but decided to do full front and doors xpel ultimate ppf along with opticoat pro plus.

Looks great and super shiny. I couldn’t even get any good pictures it was blinding in the sun lol. Anyway recommend smartdetail competitive prices and looks great

5CA3DA21-F9B9-403E-85CC-ADBD2128EB3A.jpeg 7DE081D6-996F-471C-9B72-0B03DD6F7B67.jpeg F2E76D7C-B48D-45FE-BCBA-6B7E2429B7BE.jpeg 66A7E8F0-C1E2-4CE0-846C-9B6C270FF366.jpeg

• Like x 2
  13. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

Pre cut does not exist for Model 3

14. Kor770

Kor770 Member

Hi! I'm very interested as well!
    Did they wrap the edges with the PPF?

Thx!!

15. thesteve

thesteve Member

I originally asked to wrap edges but the price is a lot higher for this so decided to go standard. So they do wrap edges if you pay for it. Car is white it’s not so bad with edges unless you’re looking for them you won’t see them.

16. Vintre

Vintre Member

Looks great! What was the cost?

Vin

17. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

Can you take some up close pictures of the exposed edges and the underside of the frunk edges if you have a moment please?

Also, can you share the cost breakdown? Thank you.

Xpel precut is available and is what most xpel installers are using for the bumpers at the very least.

18. thesteve

thesteve Member

- Full Front: $1650
    - Opti-Coat Pro: $1000
    - Opti-Coat Pro Plus: $1300

I went with opticoat pro plus and full front. Also did doors that’s around $1200 extra was well worth it since my other car first week got a mark in the door at tim hortons which disappeared shortly after in the sun.

Was tempted to do full vehicle as it was almost there but for budgeting went for almost there

• Informative x 1
  19. Kor770

Kor770 Member

PPF on the doors? how that's a novel idea!!
    cuz we get dings there most often from opening doors, and other cars opening into our doors ..
    $1200 for all 4 doors?

20. Kor770

Kor770 Member

Humm ... on a budget .. so pondering ..
    Wonder if I could do Front 1/2 PPF + Bumper + Doors, and not do Opti-Coating ...
    (use $ from Opti-Coating on the doors instead)

Since the Tesla 3 is mostly glass roof anyways! :)