Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF or Ceramaic Coating - Choose One?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, here’s a few close ups of edges let me know if there’s a particular spot you want to see. Honestly there’s a few parts like the mirrors that aren’t fully wrapped but it’s probably from the template, and some odd cuts but it’s fairly straight and as far as I can tell. View attachment 310734View attachment 310735View attachment 310736View attachment 310737View attachment 310738View attachment 310739View attachment 310740View attachment 310741View attachment 310742

But why are all the seams visible in the photo? My wrap guy puts the Xpel around every edge so no seams are visible whatsoever.

As well, my guys wraps edges without taking any parts off. There are only a few rare places where parts would ever need to be removed.

But why are all the seams visible in the photo? My wrap guy puts the Xpel around every edge so no seams are visible whatsoever.

As well, my guys wraps edges without taking any parts off. There are only a few rare places where parts would ever need to be removed.

I like the edge to be wrapped but without taking any parts off. I just could not image how they could wrap all edge without the parts be removed. This is theoretically impossible.

I'm pretty easy going so I like the job, it does the job, it's pretty shiny, like it. For me, I wouldn't have noticed the edges unless someone pointed it out. Some other people I know would be bitching and complaining about little things here and there, for those people I would say you probably want to pay extra to get edges fully custom wrapped, and smartdetail does this but it costs a lot more and requires taking off parts.

I guess my only gripe was time management, as the car was in for an extra day (which meant it cured a little longer), and the place is a bit far for me coming from downtown east. The owner is a nice guy and will likely take care of any issues you have, I've done a couple cars with him so far so good.

I have been told that all cutting are done by the same software provided by XPEL (probably everywhere used same program).. Even my case, the Suntek is used, but the cutting also used XPEL program..

I highly doubted any place will manual cut the film. If so, the price shall be much higher.

If used XPEL program to cut, we can then expect some non touchable edges are not wrapped.

I agree with thesteven, I don't really care some edges are not wrapped. Plus, for my MSM color, it will not be that noticeable even if get a bit dirt..

Are your sides also 35% tint?? Can you share a side picture as well? Thanks.

Here's some pictures sorry for the delay the upload images isn't working on here anymore
http://imgur.com/sgzTo8r
http://imgur.com/UtGCmC7
http://imgur.com/20kpH2c
http://imgur.com/Q6VA0Qw

This was more expensive as they have to do custom cuts and I'm fairly sure they'd have to take off a few parts. I wasn't willing to go over budget.

I like the edge to be wrapped but without taking any parts off. I just could not image how they could wrap all edge without the parts be removed. This is theoretically impossible.

None of my seams are visible, and none of my parts were removed. My installer cut the Xpel right to the edge, so you cannot even see the edge unless your face is a few inches from the panel. It IS possible because my car has already been wrapped.

In your case, the installer could have extended the Xpel further and tucked the edges in just under where the chrome starts. And the doors could have been wrapped all the way around to just slightly inside the door panel.

I just had ceramic done with Joseph at Smart Detail at 300 Supertest Rd, North York (near Dufferin and Steeles)
I really wanted to use Opti-Coat Pro and I chose Smart Detail as they are as an Opti-Coat authorized dealer as well there is very good feedback in the forums regarding Smart Detail.

I got dropped the car off yesterday and I got the car back at the end of day today. Looks like they did a great job. Joseph was terrific to work with as he was very responsive when I had questions and he also kept me up to date as the work was being done. As well, after 7 days I can bring the car back for a free car wash and inspection so they can double check their work and ensure the application was successful.

Attachments

• IMG_4508.JPG
    IMG_4508.JPG
    461.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4504.JPG
    IMG_4504.JPG
    476.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4503.JPG
    IMG_4503.JPG
    480.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Love
Reactions: Tony_YYZ
I just had ceramic done with Joseph at Smart Detail at 300 Supertest Rd, North York (near Dufferin and Steeles)
I really wanted to use Opti-Coat Pro and I chose Smart Detail as they are as an Opti-Coat authorized dealer as well there is very good feedback in the forums regarding Smart Detail.

I got dropped the car off yesterday and I got the car back at the end of day today. Looks like they did a great job. Joseph was terrific to work with as he was very responsive when I had questions and he also kept me up to date as the work was being done. As well, after 7 days I can bring the car back for a free car wash and inspection so they can double check their work and ensure the application was successful.
What did you have done? Any closeup pics?

What did you have done? Any closeup pics?

Hi Flexbomb,

I didn't take any closer shots of the car than the one posted, however Smart Detail asked me if they could take some pics and they took a bunch. Perhaps I can ask them for the pics. I did take this pic earlier today, but this was taken after driving 2 hours in the rain.

As for the work done, this is what they did (copied from their email to me prior to service):
Pricing includes basic prep and application. The prep consists of a hand wash, chemical and mechanical decontamination (iron remover and clay bar treatment), and a single stage paint correction. If your vehicle requires more than what I’ve described we will call with our recommendation prior to moving forward. We apply the above (whichever you choose) to the painted panels, trim, wheel faces, as well as the side and rear glass. The front windshield we apply opti-glass pro at no additional cost. That is what is included at the above pricing, however we can also do the inner barrels of the wheels and have products for the interior as well.

I was quoted $1000+tax for Opti-Coat Pro, and $1300+tax for Opti-Coat Pro Plus. I did Opti-Coat Pro (not the plus).

They will also do a complimentary wash and inspection after 7 days of the service.

edyee

Attachments

• IMG_4511.JPG
    IMG_4511.JPG
    276 KB · Views: 47
  • Helpful
Reactions: Tony_YYZ